Thai marriage visa is there a background check

Hello everyone,

It's been difficult to parse together what the process looks like for acquiring a Thai marriage visa with regards to a background check. On one page of Siam legal's website it says you need a clear criminal record and then on another page is doesn't mention there is a background check done as a part of the process. I've seen other legal sites that don't mention a background check.

Is there a background check done as a part of the process?

If so what kind of background check is done?

I'd prefer responses from USA citizens who have gone through the marriage visa process.

Thank you

1 minute ago, Lestat777 said:

Hello everyone,

It's been difficult to parse together what the process looks like for acquiring a Thai marriage visa with regards to a background check. On one page of Siam legal's website it says you need a clear criminal record and then on another page is doesn't mention there is a background check done as a part of the process. I've seen other legal sites that don't mention a background check.

I'd prefer responses from USA citizens who have gone through the marriage visa process.

Thank you

From memory the background checks came with the Non-O application.

There is no marriage visa by the way…..you extend your Non-O visa based on marriage.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

From memory the background checks came with the Non-O application.

There is no marriage visa by the way…..you extend your Non-O visa based on marriage.

Your memory serves you badly, a background check is required for a Non-OA (which is for retirement) , not a Non-O for marriage

Also, of course there is a marriage visa, what do you think the Non-O based on marriage is?

Also, also, you do not extend your Non-O based on marriage, that is done and dusted, you extend your permission of stay based on being married to a Thai national.

Apart from that, well done   🙂

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Lestat777 said:

No.

Do you plan to obtain the non O marriage in Thailand? 

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only? 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

Do you plan to obtain the non O marriage in Thailand? 

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only? 

I plan on getting the Non O while in Thailand.

I don't have a bank account yet. I was there in September. We got married. I returned to the USA to save up some money. I'll get the non o and open an account when I go back.

Thank you for your reply.

9 minutes ago, Lestat777 said:

I plan on getting the Non O while in Thailand.

I don't have a bank account yet. I was there in September. We got married. I returned to the USA to save up some money. I'll get the non o and open an account when I go back.

Thank you for your reply.

It would be well worth your while applying for the Non-O whilst you are still in the US.  It's an e-visa so easy to get, needs $15,000 in your US account.  With that you'll avoid onward flight issues, minimise visits to immigration in Thailand and will make getting a bank account a whole lot easier.

16 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

It would be well worth your while applying for the Non-O whilst you are still in the US.  It's an e-visa so easy to get, needs $15,000 in your US account.  With that you'll avoid onward flight issues, minimise visits to immigration in Thailand and will make getting a bank account a whole lot easier.

How does it minimize visits to immigration in Thailand? Do you still have to check in every 90 days with an evisa?

Do I apply for it through that Thailand evisa website?

Thank you

10 hours ago, Lestat777 said:

Yes there is a background check, It's called a 'Home visit'. Immigration usually phone you prior to their visit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Lestat777 said:

How does it minimize visits to immigration in Thailand? Do you still have to check in every 90 days with an evisa?

You had good advice from @Upnotover . The point is opening a bank account with a tourist visa or visa exempt entry is not straight forward.

Some folk use an agent.

Obtaining an eVisa non O based on marriage in USA would make opening the bank account possible. 

90 day reporting has nothing to do with your non O and subsequent 12 month extension. It's required if you stay longer than 90 continuous days in Thailand.

Your first application for extension starts your 90 day count. 

34 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Sorry for another question. I didn't think of it until after I sent the last one.

Do they do a background check when you do an e visa?

I checked the Thailand E visa website and couldn't find an application for a marriage visa.

19 minutes ago, Lestat777 said:

Thank you

You avoid the need to go to get the initial non-O that you will need to eventually get an annual extension.  Yes, apply through the normal e-Visa website.  If you do this then when you get your first extension that will count as your first 90 day report. 

Just now, Lestat777 said:

Sorry for another question. I didn't think of it until after I sent the last one.

Do they do a background check when you do an e visa?

I checked the Thailand E visa website and couldn't find an application for a marriage visa.

There is no background check.  Forget about that.

It is under "Staying with family" visas, specifically "To stay with Thai family residing in Thailand (more than 60 days)"

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

There is no background check.  Forget about that.

It is under "Staying with family" visas, specifically "To stay with Thai family residing in Thailand (more than 60 days)"

Awesome thank you for your help. I appreciate it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Lestat777 said:

If you intend to stay long term, then you will apply for 1 year extensions of your permission of stay.

To apply for these long term extensions, you must first obtain a Non Imm O visa

You may apply for the Non O visa from the USA in order to enter Thailand and will be granted permission of stay for 90 days.

To apply to extend that 90 days permission of stay for a further 365 days, you must have a Thai bank account in your sole name, with 400K THB deposited for 2 months.

Alternatively, you could enter Thailand visa exempt and apply for the Non O at Thai Immigration, but this would require 2 visits and have to be approved at regional level.

10 minutes ago, Lestat777 said:

To visit Thai family in Thailand.

The term 'marriage visa' is commonly used, but incorrect and misleading.
You apply for the Non Imm O visa based on having a Thai spouse (Thai family)

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

If you intend to stay long term, then you will apply for 1 year extensions of your permission of stay.

To apply for these long term extensions, you must first obtain a Non Imm O visa

You may apply for the Non O visa from the USA in order to enter Thailand and will be granted permission of stay for 90 days.

To apply to extend that 90 days permission of stay for a further 365 days, you must have a Thai bank account in your sole name, with 400K THB deposited for 2 months.

Alternatively, you could enter Thailand visa exempt and apply for the Non O at Thai Immigration, but this would require 2 visits and have to be approved at regional level.

To visit Thai family in Thailand.

The term 'marriage visa' is commonly used, but incorrect and misleading.
You apply for the Non Imm O visa based on having a Thai spouse (Thai family)

What do you mean it would require 2 visits if you apply from within Thailand? Is that because you would apply for the Non O then have to go back to apply for the extension after you've had the money in the bank account for 2 months?

If I get the Non O from the USA that means I open a bank account in Thailand when I arrive and then wait two months to apply for the extension correct?

Thank you for your help.

51 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Yes there is a background check, It's called a 'Home visit'. Immigration usually phone you prior to their visit. 

do the officers really check the details of the house such as qty of their husbands underwear in the drawer, qty of toothbrushes in the toilet, qty of male shoes business shoes if working etc.

9 minutes ago, Lestat777 said:

If I get the Non O from the USA that means I open a bank account in Thailand when I arrive and then wait two months to apply for the extension correct?

Correct.  I'd get it in the first week as you'll need the money there 2 months before applying for the annual extension.  Worth noting that in case of any  delays in getting the account sorted that you can also extend your initial 90 day entry by 60 days "to visit wife" if needed, giving you some more time.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lestat777 said:

What do you mean it would require 2 visits if you apply from within Thailand? Is that because you would apply for the Non O then have to go back to apply for the extension after you've had the money in the bank account for 2 months?

Applications for both the Non O visa and 1 year extensions of stay have to be approved by the regional Immigration offices, not your local office.

The first visit in each case is to submit the application. The second visit is to get the visa/extension stamp in your passport once your application has been approved.

For the Non O application, the processing time can be 2-3 weeks.
For the 1 year extension application, the processing time can be up to 30 days or more.

If the time taken to process and approve your application goes beyond your permission of stay date, Immigration will place an 'under consideration' stamp in your passport, which basically means you cannot overstay whilst your application is being processed.

13 minutes ago, Lestat777 said:

Correct.

Once the 400K has been season for 2 months, you can then apply directly for the 1 year extension of temporary permission of stay.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Also, of course there is a marriage visa, what do you think the Non-O based on marriage is?

It's a Non Imm O visa, which is often wrongly stated as a 'Marriage visa'.

When using the incorrect, non-specific, terminology 'marriage visa', it could mean a single entry Non Imm O visa, a multiple entry Non Imm O visa, or even a 1 year extension of stay.
It can then take several posts to establish exactly which is being referred to as a 'marriage visa'.

The same applies to 'retirement visa' > no such visa type.

Extensions of stay are 'permits', not visas.

Edited by Liquorice

27 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

do the officers really check the details of the house such as qty of their husbands underwear in the drawer, qty of toothbrushes in the toilet, qty of male shoes business shoes if working etc.

Are you really stupid? They can do as they please.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

6 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Your memory serves you badly, a background check is required for a Non-OA (which is for retirement) , not a Non-O for marriage

Also, also, you do not extend your Non-O based on marriage, that is done and dusted, you extend your permission of stay based on being married to a Thai national.

Apart from that, well done   🙂

The discussion is about a "marriage" visa (which doesn't exist) not retirement.

I pointed out the background check is required for the Non-O....which is a requirement.

There is no 'marriage visa'......you extend your Non-O based on whatever......in this case the guy is discussing extending based on marriage......even an idiot knows we are talking about marriage to a thai.

Apart from that well done.

Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 11.19.22.png