Governor Walz Clarifies School Shooting Gaffe Following Debate

Social Media

image.png

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz sought to clarify a controversial comment made during a debate in which he appeared to claim he had become “friends with school shooters.” Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Walz explained that his words were meant to address his relationships with individuals affected by school shootings, not perpetrators. 

“I was talking about meeting people where there are school shooters, and I need to be more specific on that,” Walz stated to an NBC News reporter during a campaign stop in Pennsylvania. The governor expressed the deep personal connection both he and his wife, who are former teachers, feel about the issue. “But I am passionate about this. This one, for my wife and I, is just, as teachers, as parents, is so personal.”

Walz recalled his time as a congressman, during which he met with parents of children killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting in Connecticut. He also mentioned his friendship with David Hogg, a survivor of the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida, further explaining the experiences that have shaped his views on gun violence and gun control.

The comment, made during a vice-presidential debate on Tuesday night, quickly drew criticism from some conservative commentators. A clip of the moment was widely shared on social media, where many took issue with his phrasing. However, the full context of his statement provides a more nuanced understanding of his position. During the debate, Walz was asked about his evolving stance on gun restrictions. 

Walz opened his response by saying he had become "friends with school shooters," before expanding on how his views on guns have shifted over time. He shared a personal anecdote from earlier in his life when he kept a shotgun in his car to go hunting after coaching football practice. However, meeting with survivors and victims of school shootings profoundly changed his outlook. “Sometimes it just is the guns. It’s just the guns,” Walz said. “And there are things that you can do about it.”

He emphasized the importance of finding common ground on the issue, one that balances both the right to bear arms and the safety of children. “But I do think that this is one, and I think this is a healthy conversation. I think there’s a capacity to find solutions on this that work, protect Second Amendment, protect our children. That’s our priority,” Walz added, underscoring his belief in the possibility of bipartisan solutions to gun violence.

While his misstatement was the subject of ridicule, Walz’s clarification reflects his commitment to addressing gun violence in a meaningful way, shaped by personal encounters with those who have been deeply affected by school shootings.

Based on a report from: The Hill 2024-10-04

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Haha 1

I have to agree that this really isn't such a big deal. He was nervous, and either poorly- or over-prepared for the debate. He was stumbling over his words and his memorized scripts on more than one occasion. I'm sure he meant to say "friends with the victims of school shooters" or something like that.  

Same as when he said, "I used to ride my bike with my friends until the streetlights came on. And I'm proud of that service".  He mixed up a couple of talking points and what came out of his mouth was nonsense.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

If this is all the rabid right can muster then Kamala and Tim are a shoe in.

Old man Donny's been quiet lately apart from a televised soft ball "interview" with Kelly Anne Conway.

I'm seeing a lot more effort by the Dems to make it go away, than from the Repubs who mostly know it was just a gaffe.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I knew what he meant when he said it because you'd have to be certifiable to actually believe he was making friends with shooters.
You're letting your extremist maga advocacy overrule basic reason. 

I agree with u .... exactly like when Trump said "there were fine people on both sides"

I knew he meant there were "fine people advocating for the statues to either be removed or to stay" - you'd have to be certifiable to actually believe he was praising the neo-nazis.

Yet, some folks are letting their extremist advocacy overrule basic reason and continue to repeat variations of this - even candidate Harris said during the debate "Let's remember Charlottesville, where there was a mob of people carrying tiki torches, spewing anti-Semitic hate. And what did the president, then at the time say? There were fine people on each side," Harris said.

11 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I agree with u .... exactly like when Trump said "there were fine people on both sides"

I knew he meant there were "fine people advocating for the statues to either be removed or to stay" - you'd have to be certifiable to actually believe he was praising the neo-nazis.

Yet, some folks are letting their extremist advocacy overrule basic reason and continue to repeat variations of this - even candidate Harris said during the debate "Let's remember Charlottesville, where there was a mob of people carrying tiki torches, spewing anti-Semitic hate. And what did the president, then at the time say? There were fine people on each side," Harris said.

Not the same.

Trump invites Nazis to dinner.