Bus Owner Caught Trying to Hide Illegal Gas Cylinders After Deadly Fire

webfact

4 hours ago, it is what it is said:

still blaming the driver? :coffee1:

He could very easily have opened emergency exits before doing anything else except getting his butt out of the burning bus.  In the video of him getting the fire extinguisher (very small type)  he never attempted to open any of the emergency doors before fleeing the scene.  Just as guilty as the bus company owners and those making illegal changes to the gas cylinders for the fueling system.  All of them should already be under arrest pending how many charges of negligent murder are being considered!  No excuse for those that provided signed inspections too once the illegal cylinders had been installed.  Just looking at one of the "legal" installs, I find it ridiculous that it would pass as it appeared to be a "ticking bomb" just waiting for a spark.  From initial reports, other changes to the bus frame etc may have contributed too.  It will be interesting to say the least just how long before the govt does react  and fixes this type of situation.  Not only for the long haul transports but even the short haul that have any changes to original equipment in my opinion anyway.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Agreed, an example must be made of this company, deliberately exceeding the the gas cylinder capacity, and after the accident trying to retrospectively hide other evidence of the same malpractice in their other coaches.

Hang the bastards high where everyone in the country can see them.

The inspecting officers should also be scrutinised for allowing this to happen.

Roadside checks must become a norm, anywhere these coaches stop for a break, stoop to refuel there must be officers on duty inspecting daily.

Not an annual inspection then owners go refit as they like.

This madness HAS TO STOP

But it won't (stop). 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

And how many others across the country are running around like this ? Sure as hell that won't be the only company doing dodgy deeds that's for sure.

All types of vehicles having any modifications to original equipment, especial involved in moving merchanidise or people should be required to have a SAFETY" inspection and those that the inspectors pass because of brown envelopes, or orders from superiors should be jailed.  that is my opinion a many of these vehicles just seem to be ticking bombs waiting on the highways.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I have a locally-bought old Mazda car with a Maserati decal.........

Hope you got permission from Maserati to keep it on your car? 😉

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Remember a few years ago when a bus caught fire in korat-saraburi and the double deck busses were forbidden by the government?

As long as Thailand will be ruler by corruption nothing will ever change.

I see many mentions of the bus being double decker but the photos show only one set of windows. 

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

According to a couple of reports (and photos by bystansders), he did try and extinguish the flames and also tried to open the doors.

They would not open.

That was when he panicked and ran.

But this doesn't suit the narrative of a few less intelligent people who just love to mouth-off or repeat flawed information without any investigation on their part. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, neeray said:

If I understand correctly, this is a Mercedes Benz chassis and drive train, but not the coach. If that is so, I'm surprised that MB would allow their decal on the locally-made coach.

I can't see that it matters one iota what badges were stuck on the bus.  It is totally irrelevant 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

This really doesn't surprise me, they should be jailed including officials

the problem I have observed over years here is the lack of accountability  or people held to account, it's like officials responsible are above and beyond and this is accepted, it is gross negligence at every level, if people were held to account maybe they would pay more attention to their responsibilities, heads should be rolling for this travesty and criminal charges brought against them all not just the bus company and driver but those whos job it is the make sure standards are met, there should now be a countrywide inspection taking place of all buses and the companies that own them

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Public punishment matching what the victims endured.   Sounds like 5 buses can be used for all the crooks involved.  

Now that would be a scream!

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Omg, how many of these unroadworthy, potential firebombs are on Thailand's roads? 

My guess would be big brown envelopes sent to the proper people who manage these things.

Edited by thesetat2013
typo

The inspection officers are rubbing their hands together right now.  They are in for a huge under the table pay day.  Bus owners will fill their wallets with untold riches and all buses will be declared safe for driving when the news dies down.  And everything will be back to normal, as how it should be.  Until the next accident.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

If I understand correctly, this is a Mercedes Benz chassis and drive train, but not the coach. If that is so, I'm surprised that MB would allow their decal on the locally-made coach.

I reckon it was one of these when new.

image.png.f19d5314deeaf435fe00743615421065.png

• Sad 1

I doubt they can stop it if Thai authorities can't.

Apart from the illegal gas tanks the bodies are often built beyond the specifications given by the chassis manufacturers and legal requirements. There was a 'crackdown' on this a few years back. I think they are often built higher than they should, although this one doesn't seem to be too high. 

7 minutes ago, john donson said:

Following the incident, the DLT ordered the inspection of five other buses in the company's fleet. When the buses failed to show up for inspection, officials tracked them via GPS to a garage in Nakhon Ratchasima, where workers were found removing illegally installed gas cylinders.

would any other country not shut down and seal the whole bus company, send a fleet of investigators and do their job... no here they invite them to be inspected... just wow...

Yes, I think their premises would probably be treated as a potential crime scene. Now the garage that was taking out the tanks should be treated the same way. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Omg, how many of these unroadworthy, potential firebombs are on Thailand's roads? 

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

And how many others across the country are running around like this ? Sure as hell that won't be the only company doing dodgy deeds that's for sure.

I saw a figure (on here) suggesting that there were more than 13,000 so modified. Truly horrific.

They should be off the road immediately, preferably permanently, certainly until proper checks, continuous monitoring and effective training for operators and drivers are in place.

Inconvenient yes. But all those dead children?

Edited by herfiehandbag