Where to apply for non-immigrant 'O' visa (over-50) without drawing UK pension?

Many retired falangs,and I mean many, will thinking, wow I needed actually none of this. They came to Thailand as tourists,then a Visa agent provided the Non-A and after took care of the retirement visa. No need for any financial requirements.Direct deal between agent and Immigration... and, oh also Bangkok Bank involved.😁👍👍👍

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Using income method for extensions retirement you need to show the 12 monthly transfers came from abroad.

No you don't you just need a letter from your embassy. Your retirement income can come from any means does not have to come from international.

7 minutes ago, arick said:

No you don't you just need a letter from your embassy. Your retirement income can come from any means does not have to come from international.

Yes we all know you don't need to prove any income source if you are one of the lucky few to have an Embassy that still issues the income letter.

Nothing to do with OP and this thread though as UK embassy don't issue the letter

Edited by Pattaya57

3 minutes ago, arick said:

The topic is about a Non O visa, not an extension of your temporary permission of stay, which is a permit.

Other than an Embassy Income letter, overseas monthly income transfers are not permitted for a Non O application at Immigration.

30 minutes ago, john donson said:

come in exempt, visit them last 30 days, ask for non-o, proof of funds...

Vague at best.

The OP can enter visa exempt and yes apply for a non O retirement.

He would need to show 800k in Thai  bank account on day of application.

He would need to do that with at least 15 days remaining on his entry stamp. Longer at couple of immigration offices eg CM and Phuket. 

On 10/3/2024 at 9:43 PM, thaitanic said:

I'm a 58-year-old Brit. For the past few years I have been mostly living in Thailand on a non-immigrant 'O' visa which I extend for a year every November at Samut Prakan. I am NOT drawing a UK state pension. I keep 800k Baht in an SCB account.

I am currently in the UK and due to return to Thailand in November, in time to renew the visa, but I am considering extending my UK trip past the renewal deadline date to January, and so will need to apply for a new non-immigrant visa.

I was thinking of applying in the UK before I return to Thailand, but the Royal Thai Embassy London page at https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/retirement-visa states the visa is for "pensioner aged 50 or above with state pension who wishes to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days". And the Hull consulate (http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/non-immigrant-visa-cat-o-pensioner.php) states that the visa is for persons "who are receiving a UK State Pension".

So where can I get a non-immigrant 'O' visa just on the basis of being over 50, without the requirement of actually drawing a pension? I am happy to visit an embassy in a neighbouring S.E. Asian country in January if necessary, and actually have to go to Ho Chi Minh (where there is a consulate) anyway.

Or should I get a tourist visa in the UK and convert it to a non-immigrant 'O' visa at Samut Prakan? I think I probably did that last time (a few years ago), but can't really remember.

What you are looking at is a bit of a leftover from the old days. Second link refers to Hull and that shut down years ago.

The criteria was over 50 and met the financial requirement OR a UK state pension of any amount.

The visa title sould be read as such

"pensioner aged 50( or above with state pension) who wishes to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days"

Just follow the requirements on the E-visa application and there shouldn't be a problem. Funds for a visa can be anywhere so you can use your Thai account if you choose.

On 10/4/2024 at 3:43 AM, thaitanic said:

I'm a 58-year-old Brit. For the past few years I have been mostly living in Thailand on a non-immigrant 'O' visa which I extend for a year every November at Samut Prakan. I am NOT drawing a UK state pension. I keep 800k Baht in an SCB account.

I am currently in the UK and due to return to Thailand in November, in time to renew the visa, but I am considering extending my UK trip past the renewal deadline date to January, and so will need to apply for a new non-immigrant visa.

I was thinking of applying in the UK before I return to Thailand, but the Royal Thai Embassy London page at https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/retirement-visa states the visa is for "pensioner aged 50 or above with state pension who wishes to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days". And the Hull consulate (http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/non-immigrant-visa-cat-o-pensioner.php) states that the visa is for persons "who are receiving a UK State Pension".

So where can I get a non-immigrant 'O' visa just on the basis of being over 50, without the requirement of actually drawing a pension? I am happy to visit an embassy in a neighbouring S.E. Asian country in January if necessary, and actually have to go to Ho Chi Minh (where there is a consulate) anyway.

Or should I get a tourist visa in the UK and convert it to a non-immigrant 'O' visa at Samut Prakan? I think I probably did that last time (a few years ago), but can't really remember.

Although the Website says that you need to be drawing State Pension, you don't & there have been reports of people successfully applying for a Non-IMM O in similar circumstances to yours. 

If it's no hassle for you to get it whilst in the UK I would just do it there to save messing around when you get back. 

On 10/4/2024 at 5:03 AM, Liquorice said:

Totally agree.

E-visa allows you to apply from the comfort of your own chair whilst enjoying a coffee.

Indeed. And when you do go to immigration for the 12  month extension it is taken as a 90 report.

If you do the exempt/conversion option then you have to manage the 90 day yourself and possibly more time at immigration.

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Although the Website says that you need to be drawing State Pension,

The Embassy and Consulates have never said that, it has always been a double scenario situation, the move to E-visa didn't change that.

When they changed from the paper application to E-visa they failed to attach some text on the website in the context it should have been, probably the result of it being done centrally rather than locally. Unfortunately there are always those that want to take things literally.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2024 at 11:56 AM, skorts said:
  • Can you submit the same bank statement for both current location and financial evidence? 
  • Or if not, provide a U.K. credit card statement under current location and bank statement for the ฿800,000 £ Sterling equivalent both showing the same U.K. address?
  • Can you show ฿800,000 in a Thai bank account Instead of £ Sterling equivalent in a U.K. bank account? The bank statement will show the address I will be staying at in Thailand.

- For the UK address I would use your UK driving licence.  Whilst not listed on the embassy website it has been reported as being accepted.

- You can show 800k in your Thai account.  That's what I did (1 month statement).

Doing this you will only submit 1 document with a UK address so ought to avoid any issue with multiple addresses.