Huge markup on imported foods. Why?

giddyup

18 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

when the shops in Hua Hin stock up on WestGold butter  .   you have to move quick ....  it flies off the shelves

I always buy 10 at a time

There's not that many westerners where I live   I'm always surprised that Lotus buy so much and then end up giving it away

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thailand does not impose those mark-ups, the retailers do that and they have nothing to do with the price of rice exported to Australia. 

How do you know? Where does the information come from that this is caused by the retailer?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Maybe, but that is still 60 less than Aussie gals  !

My hat off to you Aussies, how on earth do you put up with these fat, obnoxious, loud, vile women.....even marrying them before you come to your senses. 

• Agree 2

On 10/4/2024 at 7:49 AM, giddyup said:

My gripe for today.

I understand there are shipping costs and tax, but how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand? If Australia imposed those kind of markups on Thai products I doubt they'd be able to sell a kilo of rice.

I bought a 5kg bag of Thai rice in northern europe and was charged 16 euros for it. Thats over 500 baht while its 120-140 over here.

My gripe for today.

I understand there are shipping costs and tax, but how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand? If Australia imposed those kind of markups on Thai products I doubt they'd be able to sell a kilo of rice.

I believe, and I could be wrong, that the one thing that impacts the taxes is that shipping costs are included when customs duty is calculated and then VAT is calculated on the total cost viz. item value, shipping cost & customs duty. They've gotta earn money for the govt someway. Then the profit margin is added for instore.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

We love our Vegemite, we as happy as can, love it for breaky lunch and tea.😀

Fornicate yes...heaped teaspoonful in hot water...best drink ever.

4 hours ago, retarius said:
On 10/4/2024 at 11:04 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Thailand does not impose those mark-ups, the retailers do that and they have nothing to do with the price of rice exported to Australia. 

How do you know? Where does the information come from that this is caused by the retailer?

There is no evidence, anywhere, that Thailand imposes tariffs on products (such as referred to in the OP) from Australia.  If you have some, post it.   

My gripe for today.

It is called price gouging or not being able to see the wood for the trees, something that is famous in Thai politics.

The same applies to some Thai retailers.

Edited by Scouse123

On 10/4/2024 at 8:08 AM, Lacessit said:

I bring enough Vegemite in to last me until I go back to Australia. Rinse and repeat.

Imported cheese ( Mainland ) does not cost much more at Makro than in Australia.

If the OP wants to see a really big markup, I suggest aged care in Australia.

So then...

They have STILTON at Makro for a good price, do they?

I would be interested in this, and only this, cheese.

On 10/4/2024 at 9:24 AM, Jerry777 said:

Do us all a favor ad change your profile photo. Or is the best view anyone can make?

I have seen worst views than that, ie one with a huge boobed hairy chest. Sorry for going off topic but I could not resist that.

My gripe for today.

We know about the taxes and shipping costs, but I think we should all just admit it, the main reason is just pure greed.

ie Lazada can sell a tin of corned beef for about 190Bt, that same sized tin though a different brand in Villa Market sells for 400Bt, not much different in the taste but as I have said, just pure greed.

21 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So then...

They have STILTON at Makro for a good price, do they?

I would be interested in this, and only this, cheese.

Can't say I have noticed, I tend to focus on the cheeses I regard as good value and taste.

MAKRO probably has some blue cheeses, I don't think Stilton is among them.

This is a real cheese shop, in St.Andrews, Scotland. You know, the place where golf started.

cheeseinscotland.jpg

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Can't say I have noticed, I tend to focus on the cheeses I regard as good value and taste.

MAKRO probably has some blue cheeses, I don't think Stilton is among them.

This is a real cheese shop, in St.Andrews, Scotland. You know, the place where golf started.

cheeseinscotland.jpg

I have zero objections to the game of golf in Scotland.