Thailand's Cashless Leap: Ahead of the Asean Pack by 2028

webfact

On 10/5/2024 at 9:38 AM, Surasak said:

Two washing machines, both take coins. How do they go cashless??!!

Tokens, paid for by card/phone, eventually.

And really, what's to stop any coin operated machine currently being manufactured from being made with a contactless option from now on? I expect they're already a thing in some countries.

On 10/7/2024 at 6:40 PM, Hockeybik said:

Precisely what does your research tell you about Bitcoin? 

i did not state "bitcoin" i specifically stated "BTC"
for BTC.....
due to a restricted block size, with a maximum of ~500,000 on chain transactions a day and a fee market
it is incapable of becoming a globally accepted/used currency used by all.
there is no counter argument to this fact.

I'm not sure how secure phone banking and swiping is and I don't like the banks and others knowing exactly how and when I spend my money. I use cards when it suits me, but for what and when is my choice.

On another thought, I live on a budget, so if it's 7000bht a week I draw out 7000 and watch how it goes to make sure I don't run out. Swiping for everything even at markets and cafe's must make it very difficult to control.

On 10/5/2024 at 9:05 AM, ignis said:

No not the only one, friend in the Village much younger than me is only 60 has no idea, or his wife retired yesterday has a problem try to make it work, there Son 20's can but has a problem when trying to use my phone... 2 others in the Village that I know both in there 80's also have no idea

Likewise trying to pay bills with SCB, [scan bill] even taken phone into the Bank and they cannot make it work, Works on Bangkok Bank, but use SCB for everyday uses...  maybe is my phone ? but is Android 10

Maybe the phone ? don't use much as far to small cannot see - much easier on my 32" PC Monitor

Eyes need to be tested - with age many things change.  Get stronger glasses (maybe 2.00x to 2.5x).  Get settings changed to increase the default font size on the phone.  Upgrade Android on phone to the latest version.

On 10/5/2024 at 8:43 AM, Lacessit said:

I don't enjoy the inconvenience of some half-wit at the register who takes several minutes to work out how to pay with their phone.

That is rapidly becoming a commonly quoted urban myth!

"...some half-wit at the register..."

Some people (not I) might say that the real half-wit is the person who falsely claims with exaggeration that some people actually take "several minutes" to work out how to pay with their phone.  If these alleged incidences occur so frequently to be such an inconvenience how come there has never been a recording published of one of them taking place?    Perhaps you have some showing the many times that you have been inconvenienced in this manner that we could time?

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And how often is your internet service down?

Rarely but that's not the point. It can and does happen and that can leave millions stranded with no way to pay and no way to be paid in a cashless society.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Some people (not I) might say that the real half-wit is the person who falsely claims with exaggeration that some people actually take "several minutes" to work out how to pay with their phone.  If these alleged incidences occur so frequently to be such an inconvenience how come there has never been a recording published of one of them taking place?    Perhaps you have some showing the many times that you have been inconvenienced in this manner that we could time?

I seem to see this "urban myth" sometimes when I'm at Lotus, Big C, 711 etc. Granted people who know what they are doing it's fine but not everyone does. As for video evidence are you suggesting everyone starts recording people at checkouts who are having problems and taking an inordinate time to work out paying using their phones and posting it?

On 10/5/2024 at 9:50 AM, Gsxrnz said:

I explain the concept of a programmable CBDC (Central Bank Digital Currency) to people and get a blank stare. Almost nobody understands the concept the WEF and many governments are about to force on us. Everyone thinks it's just a debit card or a phone app to make life easier.

A CBDC is the ultimate form of totalitarian control. Your programmable "money" will be far worse than prison scrip or WWII ration cards.

They won't need any type of physical or legislative force to control you.

The first thing they'll do is attach carbon credits to every purchase. You'll try to buy a steak or diesel - sorry, you've used up this month's allocation. Or try to buy an airline ticket - sorry you've already used up your credits, but they can be "banked", so in seven years you will have enough for that trip to Thailand.

They'll also make your credits appreciate or depreciate depending on fiscal need - sir, you're not spending enough and we need to boost consumption. We'll devalue your credits by 10% each month if you don't meet the spending requirements.

CBDC's and the 15 minute city. Welcome to dystopia. :coffee1:

"The first thing they'll do is..." 

"They'll also make..."

Says who? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Rarely but that's not the point.

Exactly, I think that is the point.  How many times has that actually happened to you when you've been trying to buy something? 

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Exactly, I think that is the point.  How many times has that actually happened to you when you've been trying to buy something? 

Don't cherry pick my reply. 

31 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Rarely but that's not the point. It can and does happen and that can leave millions stranded with no way to pay and no way to be paid in a cashless society.

28 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If I was to take a video recording of each time I was held up at a register, I would probably get into trouble with the people I am filming for invasion of privacy.

IME it takes  no more than 30 seconds for anyone to make change when paying in cash.

I suppose it is too much to ask that you think before you post.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

My internet service regularly goes down at noon for about ten minutes, and sometimes late in the afternoon. Maybe it's a switch to another server.

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In Thailand, rarely.

In home- country,  it's usually down.

Oh, in many countries I go I am not allowed to use internet as a foreigner. 

Not everywhere is Liverpool.

10 minutes ago, Lorry said:

In Thailand, rarely.

In home- country,  it's usually down.

Oh, in many countries I go I am not allowed to use internet as a foreigner. 

Not everywhere is Liverpool.

Which countries bar foreigners from using the internet??

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Which countries bar foreigners from using the internet??

Many.

Not allowed to buy a SIM, not allowed to get a contract for SIM or home internet.  That's pretty normal.  Of course, you always find a workaround. But do you want to use these workarounds for banking. 

Public Wifi can usually be used by foreigners - but again,  for banking?

And you can always use your home country SIM and pay roaming fees, but have to mortgage your house first. 

I would think that Thailand is the exception where every foreigner can buy a SIM. But I may be wrong, I don't have statistics.