Breast cancer with raised underarm lymph nodes.

Thai Mrs booked a promotional breast cancer screening at a well known private hospital. Imaging ‘strongly suggested cancer’. Doctor confirmed cancer which has spread to underarm lymph nodes. Five biopsies taken now awaiting results.

When my mother had cancer 11 years ago the doctor told me 'when lymph nodes are up even palliative chemotherapy is useless'. My question; Why has the hospital taken biopsies if it’s hopeless?

40 years ago my under arm lymph nodes were the size of moth balls.

Extensive tissue and node excision followed by an immunology regime has worked for me.

So stay positive 

Edited by norbra

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Thai Mrs booked a promotional breast cancer screening at a well known private hospital. Imaging ‘strongly suggested cancer’. Doctor confirmed cancer which has spread to underarm lymph nodes. Five biopsies taken now awaiting results.

When my mother had cancer 11 years ago the doctor told me 'when lymph nodes are up even palliative chemotherapy is useless'. My question; Why has the hospital taken biopsies if it’s hopeless?

The biopsy is done to confirm the imaging diagnosis because sometimes the imaging can be inaccurate. The biopsy can also help identify the type of cancer which allows a more effective treatment.

Cancer treatments have made great progress in the past 10 years.  Once it involves the lymph nodes it has reached stage 2 or 3 and yes the 5 year survivability is estimated to be 50-85% depending upon the cancer. 10 years ago it was not that good. The takeaway is that if the treatment works, the patient  is likely to be alive and active in 5 years time. 5 -10 years is certainly better than a few months.

New chemotherapy drugs are being developed all the time, what may have been true 11 years ago is not necessarily true now.

I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma two years ago, after getting a lump in my upper thigh checked.

By the time I was treated in Australia, the cancer had spread to two other sites. I am in full remission.

Biopsies are the cheap way to investigate, a complete examination would involve a CAT scan with a radioactive sugar marker.