Horrific Bus Fire in Thailand Sparks National Debate on Safety

webfact

Safety is the last thing on a Thai's mind, look at the carnage and stupidity displayed daily on the roads, sidewalks, and Zebra crossings. The first step is for Thai people to look in the mirror, and visually see who is creating the safety hazards in Thailand, soon as they do that we can start to address the problems.

• Like 1

There is simply no real fundamental cultural demand for safety. If there was you would see people taking simple inexpensive measures to protect themselves, like wearing helmets or not drink drive. They get what they deserve...

1 minute ago, Chongalulu said:

There is simply no real fundamental cultural demand for safety. If there was you would see people taking simple inexpensive measures to protect themselves, like wearing helmets or not drink drive. They get what they deserve...

Bit of a wild statement "There is simply no real fundamental cultural demand for safety" i would try saying that to the victims  It is simply every ones responsibility for safety    

I don't see anyone putting the blame on whoever installed the gas cylinders.  I doubt the bus owner did it himself.  Are installers of gas cylinders trained?  Do they check for leaks after installation?  Do they sign off on paperwork following installation so they can be held accountable?

Obviously there is no, or very little, maintenance done following installation.

I can almost forgive the driver for running away at the sight of the bus entirely engulfed in flames.  The gas must have completely filled the bus and virtually exploded setting everything and everyone alight.  The best fire extinguisher available would not have had any noticeable effect in extinguishing the fire.

Perhaps start with enforcing all these buses must run on diesel instead of gas.

3 hours ago, factual monk said:

The main issue is of corruption... once the Auth are able to address that, all the things/ issues will automatically get resolved. It will take time but it's for thais to decide now... whether to be part of corruption & negligence or set things straight... 

Anyone convicted of corruption should face a mandatory 25 years in prison. If a death happens because of a bribe was paid, they should be charged as an accomplice to homicide. I know, I'm dreaming.

• Like 1

"................ a heated debate over the safety and viability of school field trips."

It's the safety of the transport that is under question - not the field trips. It's just a pity that such a horrific tragedy should have to happen to make the authorities do something about it.

1 hour ago, john donson said:

corruption is the root of evil

who allowed the modification... no annual check ? no safety ?  etc...

too much work I guess and too much money exchange hands...

the excursion did not kill the kids, illegal gas cylinders installed by the bus company did

"the excursion did not kill the kids, illegal gas cylinders installed by the bus company did" 

Well said!

A national debate on the issue of safety has to be a positive thing, however the debate should not be about whether or not they should have school field trips, the debate should be about public safety, traffic safety, incredibly corrupt officials within the land transport department, incredibly inept people that are running the country and why they aren't doing anything about this issue, and the ability to get VIP treatment with a small payment to an official who's responsible for determining the safety of a public vehicle. 

Sometimes it's necessary to break through the fog in order to get to the real issue that's at stake. 

• Thumbs Up 1