Wine In Checked Baggage

wimpy

I will occasionally bring one bottle in one bag and another bottle in another bag, and I've never had an issue, though it is over the limit of 1L. If you are serious about bringing a quantity of fine wine into Thailand you can buy a customs agent, but you have to do that in advance.

A friend of mine does that, it's a general from customs, he meets them at the gate, brings them on the buggy, thru immigration and they pick up his many cases of wine, and the guy drives them out his limo. But I think he pays a fairly significant annual fee for that privilege, and he brings many cases of wine and stays at a suite in a five star hotel, so money is not an object for him. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, bangkok19 said:

I bring just ONE BOTTLE to Bangkok and once consumed...   I enjoy shopping in the many wine shops over the city for wines I can't get in my home country ...

Where is your home country? As Thailand has one of the worst and most expensive wines for sale I have ever encountered. Either in restaurants or for sale in markets. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wimpy said:

Can I bring a few (6) bottles of wine into Thailand in my checked baggage, declaring  it to customs? What is the duty rate on wine?

Yes, you can if you go on red and declare. No license needed if it can be assumed you bring for own consumption. For license to be needed the value must be much higher than only 6 bottles, if they are not old, found on the bottom of the ocean and only exists in a dozen. 😉 

According to the rules, you should go red, declare and should be given a flat rate to pay as customs tax. However, that can differ, and as they have fairly high tax on importing wine, they might give you a little bit higher price tag.

15 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

People will probably shout at me, but when I travel, I put everything I want into my checked luggage, (except blatantly illegal things i.e. drugs, weapons).

At most, some items may be confiscated, so don't put anything you simply can not afford to lose.

BTW think about how many times you have been asked to open your bags at international airports.

Never ever been asked at airports. but from what I was told  if they catch you, they don't just confiscate the smuggled merch, they fine you 7× the value of what you didn't declare. Could get expensive.