Down under or Thai? Aussie mum trades Oz for Land of Smiles

webfact

Personally with a son of that age I would think education would be priority #1. Then the couple could move after that.  I am not sure but I would imagine the educational system is better in Oz. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Artisi said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She is allowed to legally own a home here, everyone is, foreigners owning their own home as she described it, is 100% legal.

but not the land.

That she is allowed to legally own a home here is what I posted, I didn't say that she could own land.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

27 million baht for a 4-bedroom house is way over the odds for a house in Thailand. Plenty of good houses for 5-10 million baht.

In your view, that is not necessarily their view which is the only opinion that matters.

10 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

She will find out the hard way. Let's visit with her in 2 years, then 5 years and if she lasts, 10 years.

She will eventually tire of the lack of potable water. Drinking out of plastic bottles with all the micro plastics, having laundry that smells rank after the heavy laundry detergent perfume wears off  etc.  is  her future. 😁

I do not give any laundry to the shops as I got fed up in giving a L or XL sized shirt and getting it back all freshly neatly washed and pressed and transformed to a size S. Far cheaper to get a clothes washing maching and to iron at home if necessary.

9 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

No idea  Qz will not give you a pension while overseas  you have to go back to OZ and then run through hoops  there is hardly any work in Thailand for expats  you need to research

What makes you think that they need an Australian state pension?   I do not need to do any research on work available in Thailand and they seem to have it covered with their own businesses.

9 hours ago, madmitch said:

The article makes it all sound so easy. I'd like to know how they spend a mere 1100 baht a week on food and essentials as well as the visa issues. And I wonder where the five year old will go to school?

What "visa issues" do they have?

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In your view, that is not necessarily their view which is the only opinion that matters.

Perhaps you recall the saying about a fool and his money.

Something in the OP does not compute. They could not save enough for a house in Sydney, but can splash out the equivalent of AUD 1.2 million in Thailand?

9 hours ago, PB172111 said:

Much much cheaper here than in Australia.

I don't think so...I pay $2100 AUD per year for hospital cover in Australia, it would cost me more here, not to mention the big yearly increases after 60-65.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps you recall the saying, "What the fck's it got to do with anyone else", it is their money and their business.

7 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I don't think so...I pay $2100 AUD per year for hospital cover in Australia, it would cost me more here, not to mention the big yearly increases after 60-65.

Pending on age, I am a pensioner have no hospital cover at all went to hospital twice never paid a cent all doctor visits are free for me as well medication dirt cheap.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Something in the OP does not compute. They could not save enough for a house in Sydney, but can splash out the equivalent of AUD 1.2 million in Thailand?

If Fred is 60 he could get all his super as a lump sum tax free.

5 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

There are some real idiots around. Leaving Manly for Thailand? Mind boggling. Nice surf at her door step, and a little paradise up North 20 minutes away. When they grow up her kids will kill her.

Manly is way overrated, they were paying more than 67k per year for rent there. Going to work to the city from there is pain, crowded ferries and slow busses. My kid rents a terrace in Newtown for nearly half the money and walks 10-15 minutes to work.

4 minutes ago, gearbox said:

If Fred is 60 he could get all his super as a lump sum tax free.

Maybe he has no super at all leaving OZ he can get it paid out no matter what age I had mine paid out when I left oz