Harris Faces Tough Questions on '60 Minutes' as Trump Declines Interview

Social Media

image.png

Vice President Kamala Harris, who has often faced criticism for sidestepping long-form media interviews, confronted several challenging questions during a Monday evening segment on CBS News' "60 Minutes." The interview focused on key issues, including the Biden administration's controversial border policy and immigration.

When asked directly by correspondent Bill Whitaker whether the Biden administration's initial immigration policy was a mistake, Harris did not admit to any errors. “It’s a long-standing problem, and solutions are at hand, and from day one, literally, we have been offering solutions,” she responded. Harris referred to an early attempt by the administration to introduce an immigration bill in Congress, without acknowledging whether loosening border restrictions had contributed to a surge in immigration.

Whitaker pressed Harris further on the border issue, emphasizing that border security has been a longstanding challenge for multiple administrations. Despite the tough questioning, Harris did not concede that the Biden administration's approach had worsened the situation. Instead, she pointed to recent improvements that had reduced illegal immigration at the southern border. “Because of what we have done, we have cut the flow of illegal immigration by half, but we need Congress to be able to act to actually fix the problem,” Harris said, underscoring the need for legislative action to address the issue comprehensively.

Harris was not alone in facing tough questioning, as Minnesota Governor Tim Walz also participated briefly. However, the interview largely centered on Harris, coming just weeks before the November election. The segment marked a strategic shift for Harris, whose campaign had previously limited traditional media appearances, sparking concern among some Democrats. In response, her team announced a media "blitz" leading up to the election, including appearances on late-night television.

A notable absence from the program was former President Donald Trump, who had initially agreed to participate but later backed out. Traditionally, "60 Minutes" interviews both presidential candidates ahead of elections. With Trump opting out, the program aired a piece on the political conflict in Maricopa County, Arizona, where Republican opposition to Trump’s 2020 election loss remains strong. 

Without Trump to balance the interview, Harris was left to address her record on several key issues. When asked about her evolving positions and whether voters could trust her consistency, Harris defended herself by pointing to her time as vice president. “In the last four years, I have been vice president of the United States. And I have been traveling our country. And I have been listening to folks and seeking what is possible in terms of common ground. I believe in building consensus,” Harris said, emphasizing her efforts to unite diverse constituencies.

One of the most pointed moments came when Harris was questioned about funding the various policy initiatives she has promised, such as small-business credits and housing assistance. When Whitaker suggested that these proposals would be difficult to pass through Congress, Harris countered by criticizing Trump’s tax policies. “I’m going to make sure that the richest among us, who can afford it, pay their fair share in taxes. It is not right that teachers and nurses and firefighters are paying a higher tax rate than billionaires and the biggest corporations,” she said.

The interview also touched on more personal matters, including Harris’ ownership of a Glock handgun, which she had previously mentioned in a conversation with Oprah Winfrey. When Whitaker asked about it, Harris confirmed, "Of course I have [fired it] at a shooting range."

At the conclusion of the interview, Harris was given the opportunity to comment on Trump’s decision to skip the "60 Minutes" interview. Harris encouraged voters to observe Trump’s rallies and speeches, noting, “You’re going to hear conversations that are about himself and all of his personal grievances. And what you will not hear is anything about you, the listener.” Harris argued that Trump’s rhetoric is self-centered and lacks plans to unite the country. “That is why I believe in my soul and heart the American people are ready to turn the page,” she concluded.

Based on a report from NBC News 2024-10-09

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

I watched it they both did just fine it was refreshing to watch normal people with good ideas being questioned.but pray tell what happened to Donald’s interview?don’t want to be fact checked I suspect big chicken!

1 hour ago, Social Media said:

“In the last four years, I have been vice president of the United States. And I have been traveling our country. And I have been listening to folks and seeking what is possible in terms of common ground. I believe in building consensus,” Harris said, emphasizing her efforts to unite diverse constituencies.

LOL. Just whom is she trying to fool with that?

The country is probably divided more now than when Biden won.

I laughed when the guy giving the interview informed her that we live in reality after she gave some implausible drivel over making the rich pay their fair share. He had to remind her she would need congress to do that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Social Media said:

Harris argued that Trump’s rhetoric is self-centered and lacks plans to unite the country. “That is why I believe in my soul and heart the American people are ready to turn the page,” she concluded.

I believe they are ready, but as it's Harris on the next page, enough voters may choose to stay home to give it to Trump.

The Dems have a problem, in that they keep choosing candidates that are just not up to the job, or popular enough.

If Harris can't be further ahead of Trump at this stage of the race, it's her that is the problem, as after all, as has been pointed out a thousand times on this forum, Trump is the worst person on the planet. If she isn't doing better than the worst person on the planet, it has to be her, or her lack of policies, or her hiding from the media/ not answering questions, or just being unlikeable.

Any situation where she doesnt have a teleprompter in front of her is far too risky to dems and is something theyre trying to avoid. This interview on 60 minutes was a disaster for them and helps trump bigly

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mdr224 said:

Any situation where she doesnt have a teleprompter in front of her is far too risky to dems and is something theyre trying to avoid. This interview on 60 minutes was a disaster for them and helps trump bigly

Shades of Biden sans teleprompter in the debate.