Elderly Swiss man busted with gun at Phuket Airport

snoop1130

Switzerland has relatively lax gun laws compared to many other countries, which most likely contributed to the Swiss guy's misunderstanding about carrying a handgun on a plane in Thailand. When I traveled with firearms back in the 1970s they had to be locked in a case and checked through to my final destination.

He was properly prepared for the "smooth as silk" services offered by the national carrier maybe? Maybe the Missus wanted to book him away as "good riddance" or a little dispute elsewhere triggered off the stashing away of weaponry. 

Maybe just a distorted old geezer. Was the gun loaded, did he have the necessary paperwork, what was/is his statement in this whole matter?

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Brother In Law was caught with 3 guns in his car (licensed but outside of the permissible area of use).

- 10,000 baht fine. 
- Monthly check in with local Police.

Out of curiosity when was that? I'm guessing not recently.

And by 'licensed but outside of the permissible area' do you mean he had a Por 12 carry permit for Province X but was stopped in Province Y? I've not heard of anyone having a Por 12 for more than one weapon, and since the Paragon shooting then (officially) there's been a moratorium on issuing them.

15 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I wonder if it was in his carry on, luggage or checked in luggage. 

Being as the gun was seen in an x-ray, I assume it was in his carry on.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hoopmonk said:

Perhaps the oldtimer just wanted to bring a Swiss gun home for a souvenir.

From the BKK Post: 

During questioning, the Swiss man reportedly told police that he thought bringing a gun with no ammunition or magazine onboard a flight was not prohibited. He had decided to bring it to his home country because he thought it was not against the law, police said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2879947/swiss-man-arrested-with-gun-at-phuket-airport. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

Another Dumbo who thinks too much:stoner:

What a coincidence.

82 YO foreigner caught at Gate 81; just a difference of 1.

This is what they found: Astra(made in Spain), model A25 6.35mm(.25Caliber) .

6.35mm round is less powerful than .22 Long Rifle:

If you are thinking about a self-defense gun, .22 is better than .25.

.25(6.35mm) round is said be so weak that it cannot even break through the squirrel spine.

image.png.372eaf7248a8a0070c4c870b02e9dee5.png

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

well how about cleaning up your own backyard   !!

There is so much s**t in their own back yard, they gave up on that idea decades ago.

What a coincidence.

82 YO foreigner caught at Gate 81; just a difference of 1.

This is what they found: Astra(made in Spain), model A25 6.35mm(.25Caliber) .

image.png.372eaf7248a8a0070c4c870b02e9dee5.png

6.35mm round is less powerful than .22 Long Rifle(despite its larger caliber).

If you are thinking about a self-defense gun, .22 is better than .25.

.25(6.35mm) round is said be so weak that it cannot even break through the squirrel spine.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

More-so than reporting - Was he caught with the gun in his baggage leaving or arriving ?

Irrelevant..He is caught with a gun...

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You might think that a Swiss guys could afford a better gun than this.

What a piece of garbage.

I have never owned a gun so cheap.

It would seem that many comments are more about the type of gun in question. What is it with people that have such an interest in firearms? I'm surprised at Gamma. I thought he was more of a 'Make peace, not war' person. The best comment was 'The Swiss is on a roll.'

What a piece of garbage.

It would seem that many comments are more about the type of gun in question. What is it with people that have such an interest in firearms? I'm surprised at Gamma. I thought he was more of a 'Make peace, not war' person. The best comment was 'The Swiss is on a roll.'

What a piece of garbage.

What a piece of garbage.

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Swiss Idiot :coffee1:

The "gun" wasn't comlete whitout  a clip or ammo, just a ladygun. But why bring it here. and then bring it back? Same if you bring a knife , whitout a blade attached to a fight comletely useless. There's more to this story....

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

That might be true, but he should have checked. wait, there are those signs with photos of hand grenades, pipe bombs, guns, and everything that is prohibited. I suspect perhaps senile. 

Well if he thought that he could be a bit senile