Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

3. 174

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

4. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

5. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

6. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

7. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

8. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

9. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

11. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

12. 2

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

Need advice for an automatic bike

frenzalr

Hi Everyone,

I just got my motorbike license. I live in Bangkok but I won't be riding it in the city much (would rather get Grab bikes as the traffic conditions are a bit wild but I'm sure I'll occasionally use it in town in case Grabs are hard to get. Main purpose would be to take long distance solo trips and travel around Thailand. 

Things I'm looking for:

- Comfortable to ride (especially for long distances

- Large storage (should fit a TUMI carry-on sized backpack with a 15" laptop  - some3thing like this: https://www.tumi.com/p/search-backpack-01424801041/)  

- Budget up to 175k but the lower the better, of course

I do like the Forza 300 and XMAX 300 but would those be practical/maneuverable at all for the occasional rides within BKK? Any cheaper models that would suit the purpose of long distance driving too? 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

Get a fire extinguisher. Sorry for the glib response but the number of these bikes catching fire is astonishing

Really ?

I know they can and do catch fire but the occurance that I see reported is very minimal and typical the result of a catastophic accident that ruptures the fuel tank.

I would go for the X Max, know a few that have them and they are more than satisfied. I am based in Chiang Mai and they use them in the mountains for quite long rides. Both bikes are easy to ride so city riding is not an issue. One moved from the Forza and is happy he did. I have the baby brother N Max as my 7-11 bike and it goes great. Some will say different as it does revolve around personal preference. Both have good resale values.

Edited by kuzie57

The ADV would be great in the country but it is pretty big. It would be tough in the city. Loads of power but heavy and cumbersome in traffic.

A Click 125 would be way better in town. Maybe pick up a used scooter for shopping trips.

I am trying to get rid of an NMax 155 but no idea how I would get it to Bangkok. Good size for me but the wife just got a new Wave.

Either would be fine. Occasional riding in bkk should not be an issue as you see lots of them around. I have a super sport ninja which I ride in bkk occasionally. A bit cumbersome but doable. The two bikes you mentioned would be easier to ride than mine in bkk. 

6 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Either would be fine. Occasional riding in bkk should not be an issue as you see lots of them around. I have a super sport ninja which I ride in bkk occasionally. A bit cumbersome but doable. The two bikes you mentioned would be easier to ride than mine in bkk. 

The sport bikes are tough in town because of the riding position and having to get your feet up all the time.

The small bikes definitely have an edge when every light is a scramble start for a 50 meter drag race.

In my opinion anything over 160cc will be to big for zipping round the busy streets in BKK. I live in Udon for four Months a year and own a NMAX 160. It is nippy for riding around the city and go for rides out in the country it will happily cruise all day at 80 kms a day very comfortable to ride large under seat storage and easy to fit a back box on it. 

7 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

The sport bikes are tough in town because of the riding position and having to get your feet up all the time.

The small bikes definitely have an edge when every light is a scramble start for a 50 meter drag race.

Couldn’t agree more. Furthermore their turning circle is narrower than scooters making it difficult to zig zag through traffic. The only joy I get is when scooters weave in front of me stopped at the lights. Yes they get a couple of meters head start but they inhale my exhaust fumes 20 or so meters later. Some can’t take it (Thai ego on modified scooter) redlining their bikes to catch up to their disappointment. The cycle continues to the next set of lights. I give them credit for trying!!!

Why not bike with gear or dct? Dual clutch transmission? 

I like the ADV alot more than Forca or N-max, and with a 40l top box you have plenty of room for what you need for a shorter ride. 

I wouldnt worry to much about driving in BKK since as you said, you prefer using grab instead of driving yourself, and when first going out of town you can choose times when there is less traffic in and out. 

Personally I would had bought Hinda  cb500x 2019 model with boxes ready for adventure. Price for a 2019 85 000 to 100 000 with 10k on odometer.