Coming to Thailand

Hi there, I was wondering if I'll experience any problems coming back to Thailand, considering my history.

I was in Thailand between October 2022 and July 2023 (9 months visa exempt) and then again between December 2023 and June 2024 (6 months also visa exempt). The entire covid time I was here in Finland (where I'm from) but I also spent longer periods of time in Thailand between the years 2016 and 2019. Now I've been in Finland for about 4 months.

I'm planning to come back to Thailand soon and I was wondering if, with that history, it's safe to fly directly to Suvarnabhumi, or if it's better to first fly somewhere else, like Hong Kong, and continue to Thailand from there? No visa this time either. What do you guys think?

7 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

December 2023 and June 2024 (6 months also visa exempt). T

So your last stay ended  June 2024.

Should have no issue flying direct to BKK airport. 

With any questions from io on arrival it's good idea to have clear itinerary eg accommodation etc..

Airline at departure may/will required proof of onward flight.

Here is one option "onwardticket.com" 

• Thumbs Up 1

OP, I have basically the same history of stays as you, and i got through without presenting any outbound ticket, hotel reservation or 20k baht in cash. I did bring it all with me though, just in case.

However I was questioned. They asked who I came with, how long I am staying, and why I had changed my passport so often.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2024 at 9:57 PM, thaiasia said:

I'm planning to come back to Thailand soon and I was wondering if, with that history, it's safe to fly directly to Suvarnabhumi, or if it's better to first fly somewhere else, like Hong Kong, and continue to Thailand from there? No visa this time either. What do you guys think?

The "odds" say it is unlikely you would be denied entry.   That said, I would never fly into Thailand with a long-stay tourist-type-entry history. 

Having a Tourist Visa would improve your odds considerably, though I personally would still not risk it. 

Coming from Hong Kong would not change this - other than a shorter-flight back there, vs Finland, if denied-entry.  

There is no way to know what daily "marching orders" will be given to the IOs on-duty when you arrive.

If flying to a neighboring-country and entering by-land is too inconvenient, there is a way to enter by-air without worry - a process which is apparently what airport-immigrant are after with all this hassling:
https://aseannow.com/topic/1336926-setv-metv-still-around-now-that-visa-exempts-are-now-60-days/?do=findComment&comment=19217493

5 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

The "odds" say it is unlikely you would be denied entry.   That said, I would never fly into Thailand with a long-stay tourist-type-entry history. 

Having a Tourist Visa would improve your odds considerably, though I personally would still not risk it. 

Coming from Hong Kong would not change this - other than a shorter-flight back there, vs Finland, if denied-entry.  

There is no way to know what daily "marching orders" will be given to the IOs on-duty when you arrive.

If flying to a neighboring-country and entering by-land is too inconvenient, there is a way to enter by-air without worry - a process which is apparently what airport-immigrant are after with all this hassling:
https://aseannow.com/topic/1336926-setv-metv-still-around-now-that-visa-exempts-are-now-60-days/?do=findComment&comment=19217493

I guess I would have to go all the way back to Finland, if they denied entry? They wouldn't let me go to a neighboring country or even further, like Japan instead?

On 10/10/2024 at 1:19 AM, raz0r21 said:

OP, I have basically the same history of stays as you, and i got through without presenting any outbound ticket, hotel reservation or 20k baht in cash. I did bring it all with me though, just in case.

However I was questioned. They asked who I came with, how long I am staying, and why I had changed my passport so often.

I wonder if changing the passport would help? I have quite a lot of stamps in my passport but thought changing it would be useless if they can see all the previous entries in their computer anyway. 

If you were denied entry to Thailand, the only country that you are guaranteed entry to is your home country. Finland in this case. If Thai Immigration denied you and then allowed you to go onward to any other country, should you be denied there too, you would be returned to where you came from (Thailand in that case). Far easier and safer for the Thais to send you to your home country.

On 10/9/2024 at 11:19 PM, raz0r21 said:

Answer to that would be because you travel so often that your passports get filled up too fast with whole page visas.

14 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

If you were denied entry to Thailand, the only country that you are guaranteed entry to is your home country. Finland in this case. If Thai Immigration denied you and then allowed you to go onward to any other country, should you be denied there too, you would be returned to where you came from (Thailand in that case). Far easier and safer for the Thais to send you to your home country.

So those who are denied entry will only be sent back to their home country, if that's where they directly flew from? If I fly from Finland to Hong Kong, and am allowed in, and from there to Thailand, and Thailand denies my entry, they are not going to send me to my home country but instead, back to Hong Kong?

16 minutes ago, thaiasia said:

So those who are denied entry will only be sent back to their home country, if that's where they directly flew from? If I fly from Finland to Hong Kong, and am allowed in, and from there to Thailand, and Thailand denies my entry, they are not going to send me to my home country but instead, back to Hong Kong?

Whilst I've not had first hand experience with that, from reading this forum for years, it is quite likely that you will be sent to the place where you are guaranteed entry (i.e. your home country). Maybe another here can clarify?

Edited by soi3eddie