Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

webfact

The video quickly sparked outrage online, with many expressing frustration over foreigners taking over jobs typically held by Thai locals.

Commenters voiced their concerns, some describing Phuket as a “lawless land” and pointing out that this issue has persisted for a long time. Others noted the growing presence of foreign operators in popular areas like Kata and Karon and questioned why authorities haven’t intervened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thailand's No-Foreigners Business list according to the Foreign Business Act 1999:

1. The Press, radio broadcasting station or radio and television station business
  2. Rice farming, plantation or crop growing
  3. Livestock farming
  4. Forestry and timber processing from a natural forest
  5. Fishery, only in respect of the catchment of aquatic animals in Thai waters and specific economic zones of Thailand
  6. Extraction of Thai medicinal herbs
  7. Trading and auction sale of antique objects of Thailand or objects of historical value of the country .
  8. Making or casting Buddha images and monk alms-bowls
  9. Land trading

As far as seen from that lists, Tour Operator is not included.

Can they still expect the intervention of Thai govt while they are not violating any laws?

If any expert among the readers, please share your knowledge.

I am no expert to this topic.

Business Activities That Foreigners Cannot Be Permitted to Do in Thailand – MSNA Group

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

If the business is legal and the foreigners selling the tours have work permits then they are doing nothing illegal. No different to to the many foreign owned dive shops that have been operating for years.

Many Russians prefer to deal in their own language 

Stay in Russia then.

5 hours ago, sibarnes2000 said:

It doesn’t say where this particular company is operating illegally? Surely that is the important point. 
As a counter to this sort of article my Thai wife worked in the UK for 5 years. She took a job from the “locals” but why is this an issue? Perhaps Thailand needs to work out that question first before they get outraged and work out why it’s an issue?

From the post:-

"Following the post, local reporters verified the location, identifying the tour counter near Karon Temple in Mueang district."

I can recommend Specsavers! 🙂 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sig said:

Of course, this is with the assumption of illegal work, which I don't even know this article was actually even truly talking about....
With that assumption, add a 5 or 10 year ban with that deportation. I think that would make a lot of people think twice before doing such stupid things, although, of course, it wouldn't deter all of them. I knew a Korean who risked their university education by teaching Korean part time at a local language school. She ended up banned and lost her study opportunities and wasted 3 years of study time at Thammasat. Another student, a Chinese girl that I knew, decided she would open a little Chinese restaurant with her Chinese boyfriend (both studying at Kasetsart Uni). They also got booted and lost the years of time they spent toward getting a uni degree. It made the foreign students in those universities think a lot more about trying to make a few extra baht while they were here for studies.
I remember back in the early 2000's (in Mae Sot) seeing trucks with cages on the back, loaded up (and I mean jam packed) with Burmese illegals being hauled back to Burma. They definitely didn't look thrilled with their situation. I'm sure some will just come back, but with their names being on the naughty list, I'd imagine it deterred a lot of others from trying to cross back in again.

So, I guess those students had still a good time.

Stupid laws, stupid prizes.

Move on!

Teaching the Korean language seems also to be reserved to Thais only. Lol.

I guess, to be on a "naughty list" is more the nightmare of the Farang  apologists and "wannabe-assimilated" old farts, calling themselfes "Expats".

But crying for deportation and decade long bans of their fellow "aliens"!

Btw, outside this self imagined

"center of the world", you can wipe your axxe with a TiT, 3rd class university degree. 

Even in Korea!

16 hours ago, webfact said:

There was no evidence of officials on-site enforcing regulations

I mean if we are going to split hairs, there are no officials actively enforcing any laws, rules, regulations anywhere in Thailand. Does the author actually leave their cubicle every once in a while? 

Edited by lordgrinz