Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

Georgealbert

Surely the Thai cops have more important things to worry about than a bunch of guys playing cards. How many Police Colonels were included in the raid? Why haven't we seen the usual photos of the heroic Police officers who carried out such a dangerous mission?

21 hours ago, simon43 said:

More likely the locals are sick of foreigners flouting the law......

There's not bigger fish to fry than a few people playing cards?

Bus LPG violations would be considered more important, no?

Thailand is full of grasses - lower than a snakes belly.....

I get the laws and as guests in the country we should be abiding them, I was in the process of sorting out a game with my expat friends a couple of months ago, at the last minute a few of them cancelled, probably saved us an arrest!!!!

Any western person probably thinks it is crazy (and it is) that a group of people are not allowed to play cards for what is probably a small amount of money as a social thing, it doesn't look like they have signs outside saying "Bobs poker joint"

At least the cops can't complain about this bit below, personally I think it is helping the economy and giving work to Thais!

21 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

alongside one dealer and a housemaid who was serving food at the time of the raid

If anyone sees any cheap gambling "paraphernalia" about please feel free to PM me the "confiscators" must be after a bob or two for that stuff looks like a nice table!

21 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The dealer, a Thai national, was also taken into custody. All suspects, along with the confiscated items

5 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

What nonesense. They were gambling. It’s illegal. Police have the rights to raid. 

Where did I say they did not have the right to raid?

Where did I say that gambling is not illegal?

What I said, was that they must understand, there is nothing illegal with using your money for entertainment as long as it´s not hurting anybody physically. However, they don´t!

7 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

They are bang to rights for having 37 decks of cards! 

Thailand has a unique law regulating playing cards. This law, known as the Playing Cards Act, was enacted in 1943. Its primary purpose is to control the production, distribution, and possession of playing cards within the country.  

Key points of the Playing Cards Act:

• Quantity Restriction: A person is generally allowed to possess no more than 120 playing cards. This limit is intended to prevent illegal gambling activities.  

• Official Stamp: All playing cards sold in Thailand must bear an official stamp from the Excise Department. This stamp indicates that the cards have been approved for sale and taxation.
  • Production and Import: The production and import of playing cards are strictly regulated.

Only authorized entities can produce or import playing cards.

Uno players would not fall under this law, and the bridge club members were not arrested for playing bridge, but for having too many playing cards.

Shoot! I am shredding my two packs of Happy Families cards right now! Thanks for the tip.

8 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

They are bang to rights for having 37 decks of cards! 

Thailand has a unique law regulating playing cards. This law, known as the Playing Cards Act, was enacted in 1943. Its primary purpose is to control the production, distribution, and possession of playing cards within the country.  

Key points of the Playing Cards Act:

• Quantity Restriction: A person is generally allowed to possess no more than 120 playing cards. This limit is intended to prevent illegal gambling activities.  

Thailand could be paradise if only it wa a nother country
  • Official Stamp: All playing cards sold in Thailand must bear an official stamp from the Excise Department. This stamp indicates that the cards have been approved for sale and taxation.
  • Production and Import: The production and import of playing cards are strictly regulated.

Only authorized entities can produce or import playing cards.

Uno players would not fall under this law, and the bridge club members were not arrested for playing bridge, but for having too many playing cards.