Sending food back to the kitchen?

sqwakvfr

On 10/13/2024 at 2:24 PM, sqwakvfr said:

From time to time the food I order (at a restaurant or delievery) has been unacceptable.  Years ago I would send the food back.  But a few times after eating the food that was redone has given me some stomach issues like cramps and a few times diarrhea.  Since then when the food I ordered is not to my liking I pay and just walk out.  The latest example was a chicken sandwhich that I ordered.  The chicken had consistency of fine leather.  It looked and smelled like it was made days ago. 

Also, in the past If I were to complain about food the usual reaction from the local workers has been like as if I had just insulted their mother.  This is just based upon my experience but why does it seem like many Thai people get insulted and at times get upset when I have complained about the quality of the food I ordered.  From my perspective it seems like because i am a foreigner I have lost my right to complain when the quality of the product or service I have paid is not to my liking. This does not happen all the time but it did happen enough times  and  I have decided it is not worth making this into a "federal" case.  

So what do others do when the food they ordered is not to their liking? 

Cook at home...and on the rare occasion I dine out, it is always undercooked, no have or stone cold...gave up with restos here years ago

From time to time the food I order (at a restaurant or delievery) has been unacceptable.  Years ago I would send the food back.  But a few times after eating the food that was redone has given me some stomach issues like cramps and a few times diarrhea.  Since then when the food I ordered is not to my liking I pay and just walk out.  The latest example was a chicken sandwhich that I ordered.  The chicken had consistency of fine leather.  It looked and smelled like it was made days ago. 

Also, in the past If I were to complain about food the usual reaction from the local workers has been like as if I had just insulted their mother.  This is just based upon my experience but why does it seem like many Thai people get insulted and at times get upset when I have complained about the quality of the food I ordered.  From my perspective it seems like because i am a foreigner I have lost my right to complain when the quality of the product or service I have paid is not to my liking. This does not happen all the time but it did happen enough times  and  I have decided it is not worth making this into a "federal" case.  

Pay up. walk out, and don't go back again.

Get a hair or bug in your food where im from and it is normally sent back and redone or taken off the bill or something.

Here I can't be bothered. I take the loss, pay and don't return. If I think they will take the critiscism and use it to better themselves I will tell them whats wrong. But if it's some grampa calling pasta with tomato, cauliflower and peices of plastic in it "carbonara" then best not to waste your breath. 

Also, with the amount of ants and bugs and stuff over here if I complained everytime I saw one I would waste more time complaining than I care to.

If a dish is way off normal flavour standards or simply not to my taste, I'll try and fix it with condiments or quietly ask if the kitchen could "adjust" it.

On the odd occasion when the food is badly cooked or suspicious in freshness, I'll simply push it aside uneaten. The staff usually ask why and are quietly informed, usually volunteering to remove the dish from the bill.

In good quality restaurants I will always reject over/under cooked food, as they are supposed to have much higher standards.

Here in Thailand!   remember criticism isn't part of their culture so when you do especially as a foreigner you not a clue what it should taste like. 

Then you got hygiene education it doesn't exist here unless you are eating at a chain or a foreign owned place then you have a decent chance.

My wife has years sold food at markets, I've met many of her friends been to their homes their food might even taste good but the handling they tried so you find places that one hasn't had any problems even then people make mistake. Even with my wife restaurant she and my son do a very good job with some health inspection experience they listen to me but even in the west, issue do happen but you have poisoning even from people cleaning chicken on a cutting board. You not going to find many Thai local places cleaning those cutting boards after use the rag they used is dirtier than the cutting board.

What do you do, just like any Thai, you suck it up pay the bill pretend you not hungry any longer have them bag it up for take out, when out of sight you see a dog open it up for them or put it in the garbage can.  Whatever you do as an foreigner being Asian myself I use to work in a restaurant white guy bitch acts up we politely take the dish back and spit in it and worse never mess with people who handle your food Never! 

In the future if you sitting in pain on top of the porclein  you now know why!😂

12 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Here in Thailand!   remember criticism isn't part of their culture so when you do especially as a foreigner you not a clue what it should taste like. 

Then you got hygiene education it doesn't exist here unless you are eating at a chain or a foreign owned place then you have a decent chance.

My wife has years sold food at markets, I've met many of her friends been to their homes their food might even taste good but the handling they tried so you find places that one hasn't had any problems even then people make mistake. Even with my wife restaurant she and my son do a very good job with some health inspection experience they listen to me but even in the west, issue do happen but you have poisoning even from people cleaning chicken on a cutting board. You not going to find many Thai local places cleaning those cutting boards after use the rag they used is dirtier than the cutting board.

What do you do, just like any Thai, you suck it up pay the bill pretend you not hungry any longer have them bag it up for take out, when out of sight you see a dog open it up for them or put it in the garbage can.  Whatever you do as an foreigner being Asian myself I use to work in a restaurant white guy bitch acts up we politely take the dish back and spit in it and worse never mess with people who handle your food Never! 

In the future if you sitting in pain on top of the porclein  you now know why!😂

I have never displayed emotion at a restaurant in LOS. 1) The locals could care less 2) It will draw attetion to myself 3) As an Asian American in LOS most think I am Chinese so they look down on me until I start speaking fluent English and this confuses them even more. "How can this dumb Chinese guy speak English like a white foreigner"??? 4) As the years have gone by in LOS I am slowly compiling a list of places I no longer frequent.  5) LOS is their country and I am not entitled to express my thoughts unless it is positive and comlimentary. Learning to live in LOS can take a while to figure out. I have learned my lesson the hard way.  Ironically never had a problem at Burger King or McD's. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

On 10/13/2024 at 2:33 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Tuna:  One can per day

Omelet: One 5-egg omelet per day

Chicken breast: Two per day, but only cooked in my oven, using fresh breasts.

Rice:  A lot of rice, steamed in my steamer.

Bread: Not too much, but only what I bake myself.

What could possibly go wrong?

I have never sent back food to the cook, in a restaurant.

If I do not like what I am served, then I pay and leave.

But, I probably would NOT walk away from a Panang-Gai...

wow that is a lot of protein , do you look like this ?

image.png

I don't think Thais necessarily take offense because you are a foreigner complaining.  Several weeks ago my Thai spouse and I ate at a Thai restaurant and he complained about both the quality and the quantity of the chicken in his dish--what little chicken was there was mostly skin.  The server seemed to be very offended that he had complained and said that their chicken came from a certain well-known food business--as if that would magically turn the few pieces of chicken skin into more and actual chicken.

Needless to say, spouse was quite offended by the server's bad, disrespectful attitude and we shall not be dining at that establishment ever again.  One thing I have noticed is the often lack of customer training with serving staff.  A sincere apology, with another serving of the dish produced, would have gone a long way to keeping us as customers, rather than driving us away, for good.