UK Passport Payment Form

Looking at the form for completion to pay for passport renewal it strikes me as having quite a serious security issue. It requires, amongst other info, the 3 digit security number as shown on the reverse side of the card, Anyone with access to this info could use it to clear out the a/c and having divulged the CVV number I can't imagine the bank being particularly sympathetic. Anyone had any previous issues with this?

Does anyone know if VHS Global Bangkok can offer a more secure method of payment or will they accept cash? 

Failing which I suppose the only answer is to transfer out the balance of the a/c apart from whatever the required passport fee is and then, after it the fee has been deducted, go through the hassle and cost of replacing the card.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, RupertIII said:

Looking at the form for completion to pay for passport renewal it strikes me as having quite a serious security issue. It requires, amongst other info, the 3 digit security number as shown on the reverse side of the card, Anyone with access to this info could use it to clear out the a/c and having divulged the CVV number I can't imagine the bank being particularly sympathetic. Anyone had any previous issues with this?

Does anyone know if VHS Global Bangkok can offer a more secure method of payment or will they accept cash? 

Failing which I suppose the only answer is to transfer out the balance of the a/c apart from whatever the required passport fee is and then, after it the fee has been deducted, go through the hassle and cost of replacing the card.

Thanks.

I don't believe there is any other accepted method, definitely not cash. I have gone through this process many times for me and my kids over the years, I know dozens of friends who have done it several times - I have never heard of anyone having fraudulent charges made to their account.

If you are not willing to trust them then your suggested method is your only option but it seems a bit extreme to me. Risk vs inconvenience. But up to you.

You would think in this day and age payment could be done online, but it's the UK government and they are not known for their efficiency or service mind..

Edited by josephbloggs
typo
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RupertIII said:

Thanks.

I complained about the very same issue to VFS 10 days ago.

This is the only method by which to pay for a Passport - i.e. Filling out the form and putting ALL of our CreditCard information, including the CCV on the form. 

I highlighted that it is a huge breach of financial security and that given the British Embassy / and VFS's emphasis on security, how can this system be so very poor...  I asked why there is no 'instantaneous point of sale machine'... 

The forms go all the way back to the UK... so any interception and our data is out - with the CCV thats concerning and terrible security protocol. 

Another silly issue - I have terrible handwriting... Its also a lot quicker for me to just type out the form on the computer and print it, rather than fill out the form directly. 

VFS would not accept a 'computer filled form' it all had to be filled out by hand, which I found somewhat odd, as it was harder to read than 'clear unambiguous font'...   I just had to re-fill out the form, not hardship, I just considered it silly.

• Thanks 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I complained about the very same issue to VFS 10 days ago.

This is the only method by which to pay for a Passport - i.e. Filling out the form and putting ALL of our CreditCard information, including the CCV on the form. 

I highlighted that it is a huge breach of financial security and that given the British Embassy / and VFS's emphasis on security, how can this system be so very poor...  I asked why there is no 'instantaneous point of sale machine'... 

The forms go all the way back to the UK... so any interception and our data is out - with the CCV thats concerning and terrible security protocol. 

Another silly issue - I have terrible handwriting... Its also a lot quicker for me to just type out the form on the computer and print it, rather than fill out the form directly. 

VFS would not accept a 'computer filled form' it all had to be filled out by hand, which I found somewhat odd, as it was harder to read than 'clear unambiguous font'...   I just had to re-fill out the form, not hardship, I just considered it silly.

Welcome to the UK.

Agree with you on all points. Very outdated, very insecure, very very very inefficient.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thanks Richard, as my handwriting is also awful nowadays was going to use the computer to complete all passport forms so lucky for me you mentioned this!