Its too expensive I may leave

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Blood tests are free ,not sure what doctor you go to 

I use a bulk billing GP and anyway even if you didn't use a bulk billing doctor the blood test is free 

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

He said he uses a bulk billing GP so yes it is free. Where the heck are you paying 100 quid for a Dr in Australia (that's like A$200)?

Even if you didn, t use a bulkbilling Dr... Pattaya 57.. Read post again!! 100quid is 100$AUD where I come from! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes many doctors nowadays are not bulk billing free on Medicare 

I'm lucky I live in the City so there is still many around that bill Medicare 

I do find however the paid Doctors give you more time in the room

I used a doctor in the USA that billed the state, even though it was blue cross coverage. They view it as a type of welfare and are paid very little. I think they have to pay to be on the referral list just for the privledge of getting patients from the program. 

I got substandard care. Just a rushed exam that was a joke and billed for anything possible, including a bunch of blood work tests I did not need. Private insurance is much better. If I had something serious I think I was at risk and would likely die.

Edited by JimTripper

On 10/14/2024 at 7:43 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Shocked tonight to cash my Australian dollars to get a lousy 21.73 , 2173 baht  $100

Can someone please calculate maybe a mathematical expert how much is 100 baht in AUD please !

Now I have been advised by another visitor in my hotel to go to Vietnam that's where he is moving to 

Please how do you Australian expats survive on old age pension here when prices here in Thailand are comparable to Australian prices after the exchange 

I paid nearly $6 for a 6 inch subway ,same price in Australia 

Gone are the days of buying cheap shoes and clothing here in Thailand 

Nearly $5 for a pair of thongs and I don't mean underwear! Please !

The thongs that go on your feet 

Is Vietnam cheaper,I still have 3 weeks to go on my work leave , I feel like I should go back to Australia where it's cheaper .what an expensive place 

How do you afford to retire you guys who only have a small Government pension ??

You just need to be satisfied with surviving on....

A daily ration of....

a. Tuna - One Can

b. 5-egg omelet one box

c. Chicken breast - one or two halves

d. Jasmine rice -as much as you can eat

e. Bread - self-baked, and in moderation

f.  Tea from Sichuan

g. Water - not the fancy bottled water...the BIG Jugs. (Speaking of Big Jugs....)

I am sure the above is the healthiest diet you could hope to think up.....and....delicious.

I am no acetic, and I am enjoying myself in Thailand, and I have plenty of money to spare, each month.

Mostly, I spend my extra money on computers which I assemble myself, and then install OpenSUSE 15.6 LEAP...Linux.

I could not be happier.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

A daily ration of....

a. Tuna - One Can

b. 5-egg omelet one box

f.  Tea from Sichuan

g. Water - not the fancy bottled water...the BIG Jugs. (Speaking of Big Jugs....)

I am sure the above is the healthiest diet you could hope to think up.....and....delicious.

I am no acetic, and I am enjoying myself in Thailand, and I have plenty of money to spare, each month.

Mostly, I spend my extra money on computers which I assemble myself, and then install OpenSUSE 15.6 LEAP...Linux.

I could not be happier.

But do you live in Pattaya or issaan ?

And do you own or rent?

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And...

Nobody mentioned this?

Ascetic, of course.

Keyboard error.

Acetic belongs in the realm of chemistry.

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

A daily ration of....

a. Tuna - One Can

b. 5-egg omelet one box

f.  Tea from Sichuan

I could not be happier.

And how much for the young prostitutes and the soapys, you did not mention ? 😜

On 10/14/2024 at 7:43 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Shocked tonight to cash my Australian dollars to get a lousy 21.73 , 2173 baht  $100

Can someone please calculate maybe a mathematical expert how much is 100 baht in AUD please !

Now I have been advised by another visitor in my hotel to go to Vietnam that's where he is moving to 

Please how do you Australian expats survive on old age pension here when prices here in Thailand are comparable to Australian prices after the exchange 

I paid nearly $6 for a 6 inch subway ,same price in Australia 

Gone are the days of buying cheap shoes and clothing here in Thailand 

Nearly $5 for a pair of thongs and I don't mean underwear! Please !

The thongs that go on your feet 

Is Vietnam cheaper,I still have 3 weeks to go on my work leave , I feel like I should go back to Australia where it's cheaper .what an expensive place 

How do you afford to retire you guys who only have a small Government pension ??

Hello George,

Attached are the exchange rates for your "meagre Australian pension".

I can't even imagine where you are shopping in Thailand. :shock1:

BUT, look how many Vietnamese "dong" dollars you will get for your Aussie buck ... wow ... think of the buying power you "might" have.🤭

{Tongue in cheek comment here.}

I do hope you can find some solutions to your retirement funding issues. 

Take much care.

Screenshot_20241021_104559_Xe.jpg

Screenshot_20241021_104213_Xe.jpg

On 10/19/2024 at 7:26 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

Has nothing to do with cheap, it is simply expensive for inferior service and quality on top. I earn 3x median wages and I still would rather spend it elsewhere at this point. I would not have gotten to this stage and income in life, if I would think naive like yourself.

Thailand is everything except cheap at this stage for the average westerner. It is just cheaper than capital cities i in the west, that are insane expensive, even for people that earn 10K USD a month, that still isn't that much there. Otherwise it is cheaper in even Spain.

I mean even a decent average hotel in Bangkok costs the same nowadays lol. My breakfast, lunch, coffees too. Perhaps only for dinner I could decide to eat MSG street food cheaper instead of cooking a decent meal in europe at home. But for 6-7$ i could eat out there too.

Today so far: 2 coffees 140 baht, 1 breakfast 160 baht, 1 moto taxi ride one way 55 baht, fruit juice soon 60 baht. I didn't even turn my ass yet or I already lost 415 baht today. The same used to cost me 200-250 baht all incl. here.

Then go in another taxi, do some tourist activity, 1500 baht gone again. Then lunch, snack, drink 300 baht gone again. Then before it is evening even a super boring simple tourist, without any alcohol or partying, would be down by 2000 baht already. 

No wonder you don't see a single soul in nightlife nowdays, if you did that on top, we are now down 6000 baht by sleeping time.

With respect, people with money don't tend to care much about the price of a beer or a meal in a restaurant when they're on holiday. 
Anyone in touch with reality knows this.

The very fact that you itemize everything from the cost of coffees to mototaxis suggests that you're something of a penny-pincher or as the Thais would say, a "cheap charlie". Nothing wrong with that but assuming that your way of thinking is common is the true naivety here.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, BuddyPish said:

With respect, people with money don't tend to care much about the price of a beer or a meal in a restaurant when they're on holiday. 
Anyone in touch with reality knows this.

The very fact that you itemize everything from the cost of coffees to mototaxis suggests that you're something of a penny-pincher or as the Thais would say, a "cheap charlie". Nothing wrong with that but assuming that your way of thinking is common is the true naivety here.

Agreed. They've saved an amount for their holiday and intend to spend it. This fact trips up our ace Shopping Mall Economists who always sneer and predict the bankruptcy whenever a new shopping mall goes up, because tourists already have malls in their own countries. It's even been argued here that Chinese won't buy condos in Thailand because they have excess supply in China they'd buy first. I love this forum.

Edited by BigStar