Transfer ownership of bike from another province

Hi.

What is the process for transferring a second-hand motorbike from another province and which documentation should I bring? I was made aware by someone that I will need to visit the DLT twice: once to transfer the bike from the old to the new province, and then, a few days later, to transfer the ownership of the bike to my name. I was also made aware that the seller does not need to come (he lives quite far away) but will need to provide me all documentation (signed copy of ID and tabien baan) twice, once for the transfer of the province, and once for the transfer of the ownership.

Has anyone done this kind of transfer before?

You'll need a power of attorney; use the standard Thai-form that you can buy in paper-shops. And yes, signed photo copies of ID-card and house book. Always check what the local Land Transport-office wish of paperwork for transferring it to a new owner, before buying any vehicle second hand.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

You'll need a power of attorney; use the standard Thai-form that you can buy in paper-shops. And yes, signed photo copies of ID-card and house book. Always check what the local Land Transport-office wish of paperwork for transferring it to a new owner, before buying any vehicle second hand.

I would go to the DLT to get the POA forth from them, as some government offices have specific forms for specific tasks.

31 minutes ago, papa al said:

Pay a m/c shop or inspection station to handle the transaction.

That would be the easiest way. They'll have the forms needed and know what documents you need.

7 hours ago, JimmyTobacco said:

Yes a few times   what province do you live in and what province is the bike currently registered in ?

(province on the number plate)

Firstly it is not necessary to change from a different province anyway, you can re-new the tax anywhere. I would try to get a testing station to change it if that's what you really want to do.

yes it does need at least 2 visits to LTO, as you will get new plates. Also you will need a LOR Letter Of Residence from Immigration unless you have a yellow book. Plus if you brought it from a 'Falang' you will need a copy of his Passport with a Current visa. 

7 hours ago, JimmyTobacco said:

I have done it with my car, but that was purely personal, as I wanted it registered in my province.

The wife's car I had put in my name by the 'Tent' dealer but I will not be transferring it to my province, waste of time, money and energy.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Correct.

Also, don't listen to those who tell you that you will have to return to the Land Transport Office (LTO) where the bike is currently registered to effect the transfer - that is not correct.  You will however, have to carry out the transfer at the main LTO in your province.

You may also need a certificate of residence (COR).  I was required to have one when I went to register my bike in my name.  However, I recently enquired what I needed to transfer my car into my name and my local LTO gave me a written list of the required documents - no mention of a COR. I suspect though, that when I go to do it, the LTO will request one.

Once the paperwork is done, you will have to wait a few days then return to pick up the new plates.  I'm told though, that vehicles originally registered in Bangkok can retain their original plates - not sure if that's true or not.

If the previous owner was a foreigner, you will need a signed copy of their passport to accompany the POA. The statement in a post above is not correct - the passport does not need to have a current visa in it. The previous owner of my bike had actually left the country.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thumbs Up 1