Pink I.D Card & Yellow Book

15 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

The best reason is if you are working here (for over a year, while paying Thai-SS), and want to keep your Thai-SS health-insurance going after your job ends - saving a huge pile of money vs private-insurance.  Without your Pink-ID + Yellow-Book, you will not be able to do this.  Due to the sometimes-long delay-time between application to receipt, this should be done well before one's job ends.

A yellow-book also precludes needing to get CORs, in many/most cases - though probably not worth it for this reason alone, unless your Amphoe isn't a PITA about it (like mine was).

Keeping your Thai Social Security Fund (SSF) Injury and Sickness benefits going after you retire and claim the lump sum is worth it. And you have six months to decide if you want to continue after you get the lump sum savings payout.

the SSF Injury and Sickness benefits* can continue until death, whereas mainstream foreign health insurance policies have a maximum age (often 76 years old, if the member started the policy at a much younger age). and the annual premium for a mainstream health policy is very expensive. A farang friend just finished the final year of his policy, turned 76 years old a few months ago, company will not continue his membership and for the final year the premium was 134,000Baht.

* Benefits are quite broad and cover most injury and sickness costs and include medicines. Cost of hospital bed and hospital services is not free and depends on the situation and the hospital you nominate when you arrange the continuation of your membership. Typically 700Baht to 1,000Baht a day.  

If you elect to continue your SSF membership/benefits and you pay the monthly member contribution of 432Baht a month direct to the SSF. The SSF set up a direct debit to the Thai bank account you nominate and on the 15th of each month the SSF activate the direct debit and take 432Baht from your Thai bank account. Painless. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Keeping your Thai Social Security Fund (SSF) Injury and Sickness benefits going after you retire and claim the lump sum is worth it. And you have six months to decide if you want to continue after you get the lump sum savings payout.

the SSF Injury and Sickness benefits* can continue until death, whereas mainstream foreign health insurance policies have a maximum age (often 76 years old, if the member started the policy at a much younger age). and the annual premium for a mainstream health policy is very expensive. A farang friend just finished the final year of his policy, turned 76 years old a few months ago, company will not continue his membership and for the final year the premium was 134,000Baht.

* Benefits are quite broad and cover most injury and sickness costs and include medicines. Cost of hospital bed and hospital services is not free and depends on the situation and the hospital you nominate when you arrange the continuation of your membership. Typically 700Baht to 1,000Baht a day.  

If you elect to continue your SSF membership/benefits and you pay the monthly member contribution of 432Baht a month direct to the SSF. The SSF set up a direct debit to the Thai bank account you nominate and on the 15th of each month the SSF activate the direct debit and take 432Baht from your Thai bank account. Painless. 

You do need to have a Thai yellow covered Tabien Baan book and a pink Thai ID card. 

If you need more info call the Social security hotline 1506. Then select English. If the call defers to Thai it means there's no English speaking SSF officer available at that moment. Don't give up, call again later or the next day. Worth being patient because when you do converse with an English speaker they are good listeners and you'll get good advice. 

• Agree 1

21 years ago when I purchased my house here on Phuket, I had the lawyers structure the Land Purchase Sales agreement in such a way that I own the house (Structure and Improvements to the Land) and my Thai company at the time, own the Land (Chanote)

I then had the law firm arrange for the Amphur to issue the Yellow Book Tambian Baan based on my owning the house (structure & improvements)

A couple years latter I thought it would be a good idea to have the Thai ID Pink Card. Visiting the local district office, I had an “interview” (In Thai language) with the official responsible for approving the issuance of the cards. Cost: 100B

Pink Cards issued to individuals under the age of 60yrs are valid for 5 years. After 5yrs has passed, revisit the office and apply again. If over 60yrs, then the card is valid For Life.

I have found that the Pink Card is a great “Supporting” Document when dealing with the officialdom here in Thailand and differentiates you from the rest of the pack (Tourists) 

Be aware however, that all Provincial Offices are not the same and may have their own set of rules. Last year I wanted to purchase another house in Khanom, in Nakon Sii Thamarrat province (NST) and sell my place in Phuket province. The Land Office and Amphur Office in NST province would not allow me to structure the purchase of the house, the same way as I have done in Phuket province. Major headache and cost me my 10% reservation deposit on the house when I chose to back-out of the deal. Lesson learned.

The first step is obtaining the Yellow Book Tambian Baan.

A Thai ID Pink Card will not be issued unless you have a Tambian Baan.

Another heads-up, once you have your Pink Thai ID Card, you will be able to open an account with the “Government Savings Bank” (GSB) ….. the pink bank. The GSB is not a “Commercial Bank”, like UOB, SCB…. and is not subject to the Thai “Deposit Protection Agency” (DPA) restrictions on cash deposits. 

Prior to 2019 all cash deposits held in “Commercial Banks” up to 10MTB were covered/insured by the DPA. In 2020 this was reduced to 5MTB. The following year it was further reduced to 1MTB…. where it stands today.

However, as the GSB is not a commercial bank, all deposits are covered, irregardless of the amount….. ie 20MTB+

If you have more than 1MTB held in your Thai commercial bank account, then you will need accounts with other additional banks ie SCB, UOB…etc to protect your cash in the event the bank “Fails”. 

Edited by verticalift
Typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) Appointment with embassy - obtain a Notarised / Certified Copy of your Passport

2) Get that Copy Translated (plenty of official tranlsation services at MFA building who'll translate within the hour).

3) Get that Translation certified by the MFA (they'll post the certification back to you within a few days).

my 2 cents to this process:

in case you are married - take a copy of your Marriage Certificate to the translation service to make sure the Thai spelling of your name from your passport will match, phonetic translations do differ a lot, and this approach will help with compatibility issues down the road. 

43 minutes ago, verticalift said:

21 years ago when I purchased my house here on Phuket, I had the lawyers structure the Land Purchase Sales agreement in such a way that I own the house (Structure and Improvements to the Land) and my Thai company at the time, own the Land (Chanote)

I then had the law firm arrange for the Amphur to issue the Yellow Book Tambian Baan based on my owning the house (structure & improvements)

A couple years latter I thought it would be a good idea to have the Thai ID Pink Card. Visiting the local district office, I had an “interview” (In Thai language) with the official responsible for approving the issuance of the cards. Cost: 100B

Pink Cards issued to individuals under the age of 60yrs are valid for 5 years. After 5yrs has passed, revisit the office and apply again. If over 60yrs, then the card is valid For Life.

I have found that the Pink Card is a great “Supporting” Document when dealing with the officialdom here in Thailand and differentiates you from the rest of the pack (Tourists) 

Be aware however, that all Provincial Offices are not the same and may have their own set of rules. Last year I wanted to purchase another house in Khanom, in Nakon Sii Thamarrat province (NST) and sell my place in Phuket province. The Land Office and Amphur Office in NST province would not allow me to structure the purchase of the house, the same way as I have done in Phuket province. Major headache and cost me my 10% reservation deposit on the house when I chose to back-out of the deal. Lesson learned.

The first step is obtaining the Yellow Book Tambian Baan.

A Thai ID Pink Card will not be issued unless you have a Tambian Baan.

Another heads-up, once you have your Pink Thai ID Card, you will be able to open an account with the “Government Savings Bank” (GSB) ….. the pink bank. The GSB is not a “Commercial Bank”, like UOB, SCB…. and is not subject to the Thai “Deposit Protection Agency” (DPA) restrictions on cash deposits. 

Prior to 2019 all cash deposits held in “Commercial Banks” up to 10MTB were covered/insured by the DPA. In 2020 this was reduced to 5MTB. The following year it was further reduced to 1MTB…. where it stands today.

However, as the GSB is not a commercial bank, all deposits are covered, irregardless of the amount….. ie 20MTB+

If you have more than 1MTB held in your Thai commercial bank account, then you will need accounts with other additional banks ie SCB, UOB…etc to protect your cash in the event the bank “Fails”. 

I achieved Thai Permanent Residency (PR) 28 years ago, and with thai I got a Thai style ID number (but it starts with an 8).

Later when the pink ID card came into existence the local big amphur office here in Chiang Mai issued me a pink ID card.

Because PR is for life my pink card doesn't have an expiry date. Instead it has the Thai word cheewit (lifetime). 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Do you know if you would still need their permission if you have a usurfuct (20 year) on the property?

Obviously my name is on the back of the chanote

Only the Amphoe where you'd apply could answer that question.

• Like 1

I had my name in Thai, on Thai divorce certificate kor ror 6 and 7, both MFA certified, as my embassy needed that to register the divorce...

nope, was not enough for local ampur, I tried...

they said,  embassy certification (wth is your passport), translate into thai, mfa certified .... many thousands of baht wasted, again

witness,   4  1 inch pics,    old tabien baan, chanote, blabla

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Just realize that the moment you have a pink card, you also have a Thai tax ID # (the 13 digit # on top of the card).

These days it's really an idiot move to get this otherwise useless card.

I made the same mistake.

Is the 13 digit number on the Covid vaccination application and app also a Tax ID number?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I use quite often, when anyone asks me for ID, like guesthouses.  Rare they ask, as wife does the checking in.   

If need to give someone my name & address, it's easier just to hand them my  pink ID instead of talking to them.

If someone asks for my passport, I'll hand them pink ID first, and 9 out of 10 times, that will satisfy.   Less people handling my passport, the better.

Yellow book is way too handy, when needing to prove your address to govt offices / services, or utility companies.

I also often use my pink card, which I have had for a long time, likewise my yellow book. The pink card is widely accepted for identification purposes, the yellow book likewise. Personally I am pleased I have both. They are well worth the minimal effort required to obtain them.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, BigStar said:

Piece o' cake. I enjoyed my visits to Pattaya City Hall, joked around with the nice ladies, got to meet the Mayor and his capos. It was all interesting. Now I enjoy paying no property tax on my condo, too. Etc.

@BigStar Are you able to elaborate what the benefit of the pink ID would be in regards of property tax? Thanks trying to weighing up the pro's and con's here of having one...

Just now, Fiskebolle said:

A few OP's in this tread have mentioned that the Pink ID has benefits in regards of property tax on condo they own? Can anyone elaborate on this please?

Nonsense.

They would like to think it would..............

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Fiskebolle said:

@BigStar Are you able to elaborate what the benefit of the pink ID would be in regards of property tax? Thanks trying to weighing up the pro's and con's here of having one...

If you own a property that serves as your primary residence, you'll be exempt from annual property tax on that property. Show the yellow book to the tax office. I did, with my latest bill. TO updated the database, told me not to pay the current bill, and ignore future notices. I never got any in the future.

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

If you own a property that serves as your primary residence, you'll be exempt from annual property tax on that property. Show the yellow book to the tax office. I did, with my latest bill. TO updated the database, told me not to pay the current bill, and ignore future notices. I never got any in the future.

Got it, but the tabien baan would have been sufficient enough for that reason alone I guess.

Inevitably, the requirement to obtain a Yellow book and ID card will vary across Amphoe offices dependent on how well versed, trained, and competent the staff are.

Same Province, but a different Amphoe, a friend was first informed he required an Embassy certified copy of his passport, translated and legalised by the MFA.

He travelled to Bangkok to obtain the requested documents.
Arriving back at the Amphoe with said documents, he was then informed he also needed an Embassy certified copy of his Birth certificate, translated and legalised by the MFA, so a second trip to Bangkok. An original UK birth certificate does state the parents names, whereas the longer version does, so that is what he used.

Arriving back at the Amphoe, they refused the translated and legalised Birth certificate as it stated 'Copy of the Registration', and insisted on the 'original'.

That took some explaining, then appearing to accept the explanation, they now noted he wasn't married and insisted he had to be married.

He and his long term girlfriend had marriage planned, so just brought the wedding day forward.

Marriage certificate now in hand, they returned, where they were further informed he had to own property.
Obviously being given the run around, exhausted and frustrated, he sought some help and advice.

I took him to the Provincial Amphoe, who issued my YB and ID card within an hour of applying.

The senior officer told us the guy at his Amphoe was a ****, but he couldn't overrule him.

He suggested two solutions;
1. To make a formal complaint to the ombudsman who had the power to overrule him and instruct him to issue the YB and ID card, but this could take several months.
2. Add him to my YB as if he lived at the same address, then in a month inform the Provincial Amphoe of moving to a new address in a different sub-district (actually where he did live) and they would remove him from my book and issue a form for the local Amphoe to issue him a new YB. Apparently, as he was now already registered on the system, the process is different and the other Amphoe were obliged to just issue a new YB detailing his new address (which was his existing address)

We chose option 2, and approx 6 weeks later he returned to his Amphoe with the form issued by the Provincial office, and his local Amphoe immediately issued a new YB at his current address with no questions asked.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fiskebolle said:

Got it, but the tabien baan would have been sufficient enough for that reason alone I guess.

The yellow book is a tabien baan. You also need the chanote proving your ownership, of course, for which the tabien baan isn't sufficient. Blue books are for Thais and permanent residents.

You may try whatever it is you have in mind and report back. I do know what works well, however.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

a friend was first informed he required an Embassy certified copy of his passport, translated and legalised by the MFA.

He travelled to Bangkok to obtain the requested documents.
Arriving back at the Amphoe with said documents, he was then informed he also needed an Embassy certified copy of his Birth certificate, translated and legalised by the MFA, so a second trip to Bangkok. An original UK birth certificate does state the parents names, whereas the longer version does, so that is what he used.

Arriving back at the Amphoe, they refused the translated and legalised Birth certificate as it stated 'Copy of the Registration', and insisted on the 'original'.

Similar experience for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,only I didn't travel to BKK at all, just went back the next day with a translation of my passport done in soi post office, and a certificate of residence I had earlier obtained from immigration to buy a car.

Spoke to different person at the amphur and 30 minutes later all was signed and picked up yellow book the next day.

Hadn't bothered with witnesses either

44 minutes ago, Fiskebolle said:

OK, maybe I wasn't clear, just using "pink card" as shorthand, as the pink card is issued only if you have a yellow book. The tax office will need the yellow book, as will the Chonburi DLT if you wish to use it in lieu of a COR from Immigration--as I did myself three years ago. I use a copy of the pink card as proof of address for retirement visa extensions.

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I use quite often, when anyone asks me for ID, like guesthouses.  Rare they ask, as wife does the checking in.   

If need to give someone my name & address, it's easier just to hand them my  pink ID instead of talking to them.

If someone asks for my passport, I'll hand them pink ID first, and 9 out of 10 times, that will satisfy.   Less people handling my passport, the better.

Yellow book is way too handy, when needing to prove your address to govt offices / services, or utility companies.

Agree on Yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address. Things certainly do vary though. I've never stayed in a hotel in Phuket or Krabi (irrespective of who does the checking in or the name on the booking) where the desk staff haven't demanded my passport then leafed through the pages to find my latest extension stamp and taken a photocopy.

46 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Agree on Yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address. Things certainly do vary though. I've never stayed in a hotel in Phuket or Krabi (irrespective of who does the checking in or the name on the booking) where the desk staff haven't demanded my passport then leafed through the pages to find my latest extension stamp and taken a photocopy.

Did you first offer your pink card? Been using mine to check into hotels for years in BKK and around Pattaya.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

my 2 cents to this process:

in case you are married - take a copy of your Marriage Certificate to the translation service to make sure the Thai spelling of your name from your passport will match, phonetic translations do differ a lot, and this approach will help with compatibility issues down the road. 

This applies to the Thai spelling on other official documents you present, notably the chanote. Translator of passport should use the same spelling.

55 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Only time I'm asked, for passport at hotels, is if we stay at a chain hotel, which is always ibis, since pet friendly.  They rarely ask for passport, though have occasionally.  Pink ID or DL  is enough, but I do have an Accor account # which we usually book with.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

I am told that you can only do the lump sum and continue health if you work for less than 15 years, after that it is pension and no option for health?

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:
22 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Just realize that the moment you have a pink card, you also have a Thai tax ID # (the 13 digit # on top of the card).

Incorrect. I volutarily got a TIN before I got the Pink card. Different numbers.

If you tell the Revenue Office that you have a yellow/book/pink card when applying for a TIN, they will use that number for your TIN.

They also may not.

TiT

YMMV

LOL

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I couldn't drag a couple of Thais up there, just wouldn't waste their time, rather pay the very low property tax

Also, a pink card gets you absolutely nada at a gogo bar.

• Love It 1

22 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

These days it's really an idiot move to get this otherwise useless card.

I made the same mistake.

I find that my pink ID card is quite useful.  I have used it in lieu of my passport, which I rarely carry, on numerous occasions.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Did you first offer your pink card? Been using mine to check into hotels for years in BKK and around Pattaya.

I always carry my passport anyway. However, I'll try it next time. Agree that there's no profit in giving out more information than you need.

23 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I know that it is the same number but is there any real connection between the tax office and the card/book?  In other words having had a yellow book since 2009 can I expect a letter from the taxman at the registered address if I have never actually had any dealings with them?

I have had mine since 2010 and the number just means you are on the Thai database. Interaction with any department doesn't happen unless it is initiated.

I registered at the hospital with my yellow book and when covid came along the hospital put me on the app without me having to do anything. Had the vaccine about 9am the day rollout started while those that dismiss the benefits of the yellow book were pulling their hair out.

I knew someone who was registered at the same hospital and his wife went and complained when she found out about my appointment. Turned out he had registered with his passport and had no 13 digit number.

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

I am told that you can only do the lump sum and continue health if you work for less than 15 years, after that it is pension and no option for health?

I'm not knowledgeable about that item. Suggestions:

- Call 1506 the SSF Hotline and check, 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you tell the Revenue Office that you have a yellow/book/pink card when applying for a TIN, they will use that number for your TIN.

They also may not.

TiT

YMMV

LOL

My Thai Tax number if different to my pink ID card number.