US Retirement system equal to Kazakhstan? Really?

GypsyT

I don't thing it's that bad.

But then I didn't count on it nether. I worked hard, made good money and saved and saved... and now I'm well off these remaining years I have left.

I'm very happy for economical things I got out of the US. Political BS not!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/the-us-retirement-system-gets-a-c-in-global-study-230119976.html

"This year, the index score for the US decreased to 60.4 from 63.0, putting it in the same grade tier as the United Arab Emirates, Kazakhstan, Hong Kong, Spain, Colombia, and Saudi Arabia, though each of those countries had a higher overall score. "

Edited by GypsyT
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

All I know is that my retirement income is roughly 2X what I was earning on average when I started to plan for retirement, which allows my Thai wife and I to live moderately in Thailand.

She wants to go to the U.S. and is willing to work, but not sure how long and what wages she can get. I could possibly work at something PT as a Walmart greeter e.g. Been on SS disability since 2005.

I have my doubts that we can make it these days

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

That's very sad.

US has SO MUCH money but it goes to war, jail system, politic BS and other expensive nonsense.

They can go to moon but Government still use FAX machines... and Collect Call system worldwide 😉 Name a country where that will work?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

All I know is that my retirement income is roughly 2X what I was earning on average when I started to plan for retirement, which allows my Thai wife and I to live moderately in Thailand.

She wants to go to the U.S. and is willing to work, but not sure how long and what wages she can get. I could possibly work at something PT as a Walmart greeter e.g. Been on SS disability since 2005.

Retired on a sustainable $2400 a month %$1570 from SS). I cannot afford to live on that in USA (my own country). So on my 65K+ each month here in Thailand my Thai Wife and stepdaughter have a 3 bed, 2 bath house, 2 cars, motorbike and, as you say, live a working middle class retirement. If you have not done so I strongly urge a trip to the USA with your Thai Wife. Thais oft have a rosy picture of high salaries in the USA in comparison to Thailand without getting any appreciation of the cost of living there. We made a monthlong trip to the SE states in 2023 ... Atlanta, Disneyworld, St. Augustine, Cape Kennedy, Savannah, Charleston, Monticello, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Washington, DC (driving in monthlong rental car). Total - $19,000--- usd.

• Like 1

Yea, but, the countries generally rated with the best retirement/pension systems are also generally the countries with the highest taxes.   Easy to fund retirement systems if they are funded by high taxes during a person's work career. 

Snapshot of the report ranking the best retirement systems....see weblink for entire report.

https://rpc.cfainstitute.org/-/media/documents/article/industry-research/mercer-global-pension-index-2024.pdf

image.png.b4a5ba39a87e08af71c3f6695b718666.png

Snapshot of "HIGH" tax countries

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/highest-taxed-countries

image.png.74bf2df40c54a4ae24065d46adb61242.png

image.png.732e9a958a7e538c4afa703484376e7e.png

image.png

Edited by Pib