Tourist Bus Catches Fire in Pak Chong

Georgealbert

16 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

"Petrol (gasoline) has a fairly low flashpoint at −43 °C (−45 °F). This means that, unless you’re in one of the coldest places in the world, your petrol fuel is above its flashpoint. White Diesel, on the other hand, enjoys a mid-range flash point of over 52 °C (126 °F), meaning the exact opposite! Diesel will likely be below its flash point unless you are in a particularly hot place.

Both petrol and diesel have quite high autoignition temperatures, or our vehicles would be in trouble! Petrol and diesel have autoignition temperatures of 280 °C (536 °F) and 210 °C (410 °F), respectively." OK with you?

Erm... yes, fine with me... I'm in agreement with you! It's very unlikely, though not impossible, for diesel to simply ignite on contact with a hot surface.

8 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The red and black Scania air-conditioned bus, carrying 50 Indonesian tourists, had just arrived from Bangkok for a visit to Pak Chong. As the tourists were being driven to a nearby restaurant for dinner, the fire erupted in the rear area of the bus.

Must've been a tense moment thinking about the ride home.  appetite lost.

6 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Well, good, that nobody was injured. Personal belongings however are gone with the flames.

Apparently this bus escaped the checkup by authorities. 

As living or travelling in Thailand you should always aware of fatal accidents, coffin in sight.🥴

If you were able to not only read but to also comprehend what you read then you would have known the personal belongings and luggage were OK apart from some water damage , but no doubt you did not bother to read it all because you were in too much of a rush to write a comment.

Edited by Brave-Fart

1 hour ago, Frankie baby said:

Very hard for diesel to catch fire, my moneys on the electrics.

From the above report:

Officers are still unable to identify the cause of the fire, as this red-black Scania coach uses petrol as fuel, and the engine remains undamaged

Unquote

11 minutes ago, Brave-Fart said:

If you were able to not only read but to also comprehend what you read then you would have known the personal belongings and luggage were OK apart from some water damage , but no doubt you did not bother to read it all because you were in too much of a rush to write a comment.

🥱🥱🥱 And if you would read my posts you wouldn't send your "elaborate" 😂. Sleep on.🥱

5 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Oh should we ban diesel Now instead of LNG !!!!!!

How quickly did it spread through the bus, was in as bad as the gas, how often does it happen, and how much damage was there?

If it was slower to spread, happens at a lower rate, and caused less damage, then it's logical to consider not banning it.

With the gas, it seems to instantly engulf the whole vehicle and incinerate everyone on board.  It also happens far more often (possibly every time one is involved in a collision).

I know you want to simply score points because you were embarrassed in an other thread, but you really should think a little before you comment.  Logic is your friend.

13 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

From the above report:

Officers are still unable to identify the cause of the fire, as this red-black Scania coach uses petrol as fuel, and the engine remains undamaged

Unquote

Think you altered the post  which is against forum rules

Although the fire severely damaged the bus, the cause of the blaze remains unknown. Investigations reveal that the bus was running on diesel fuel only and there were no signs of mechanical failure.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

How quickly did it spread through the bus, was in as bad as the gas, how often does it happen, and how much damage was there?

If it was slower to spread, happens at a lower rate, and caused less damage, then it's logical to consider not banning it.

With the gas, it seems to instantly engulf the whole vehicle and incinerate everyone on board.  It also happens far more often (possibly every time one is involved in a collision).

I know you want to simply score points because you were embarrassed in an other thread, but you really should think a little before you comment.  Logic is your friend.

I was joking about banning Diesel  Can you not see the sarcasm  banning diesel is Ridiculous

1 minute ago, MikeandDow said:

Think you altered the post  which is against forum rules

Although the fire severely damaged the bus, the cause of the blaze remains unknown. Investigations reveal that the bus was running on diesel fuel only and there were no signs of mechanical failure.

I did not knowingly alter the post other than italicise it for clarity. Yes, that broke the rules technically. The original report suggested the bus was diesel fuelled. The follow-on report stated petrol. I cut and pasted that in my response.

My point is, there is a conflict probably through mis translation but posters speculate from what they read in the reports. I will go with diesel.

1 minute ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I did not knowingly alter the post other than italicise it for clarity. Yes, that broke the rules technically. The original report suggested the bus was diesel fuelled. The follow-on report stated petrol. I cut and pasted that in my response.

My point is, there is a conflict probably through mis translation but posters speculate from what they read in the reports. I will go with diesel.

If there is a conflict  read the forum rules and report it  this helps George just don't post rubbish 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I was in a bus to Mae Sai that broke down going up a hill and we had to all evacuate and change buses. What I find so strange is how Thai's will do little to no communication. The bus stalled and the driver parked and opened the doors. Didn't say a single word. People just figured out it was broken and started to walk off. Eventually I got off too but I had no idea why or what was going to happen (couldn't speak yet Thai back then).

i was on a train from ayutaya to bkk, we stopped on the outskirts of bkk, after about 20 mins people were just sitting there, no announcements, i decided to get off and have a look. a quick inspection of the front of the train highlighted the problem, the engine had gone. clearly we would be sitting there in ignorance for a while, so i grabbed my stuff and jumped in a passing taxi.

Why did the local authority intervened to find alternative transportation. Isn't that the tour company who should take complete responsibility to arrange for contingency plans?

The party at fault never steps to the plate and take on their accountability duties....I believe the culture prefers never to identify the main accountability party as a way of saving face 

Chaos and confusion always diverts from identifying the underlying reason and responsible parties involved....  

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh dear Georgealbert,  It is difficult for me to read any bus fire stories after the recent horrible tragedy. 

It makes me sad, so I cannot comment.   Just thankful the passengers got off ok. 

A diesel leak that was near the battery terminal perhaps ... it can't be much else with a diesel 

Scania DSC9/DSC12 (Euro II) engine.

Leaking oil/fuel onto the exhaust... electrical fault... passenger smoking..

2 hours ago, Brave-Fart said:

🥱🥱🥱

24 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

why is everyone talking about diesel when it states the bus was running on petrol ? 

was their conflicting reports somewhere ? 

Yes Thai media first reported diesel, but some later articles stated petrol, we have no way yet, to confirm which is correct.

It is also reported that the engine was undamaged by the fire, but that does not mean that a fuel leak was not involved.

The initial fire appears at the rear of the bus, but there is not enough evidence available in the pictures and videos to say if fire started inside the bus or not.

IMG_6960.jpeg

5 hours ago, Brave-Fart said:

So it wasn't a lithium battery in the luggage that caused the fire then.

6 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

How do you know what caused this fire? Are you psychic? Due to the location of the damage, how do you know it wasn't a lithium battery pack fire from inside someone's luggage in the baggage compartment or passenger area? Nobody checks for that on buses.  I've been riding buses in Thailand for the past 11 years, my confidence in them is not the least bit diminished by the occasional accident. I have only had one bus incident in my entire 67 years, and that was in the US where the driver had been monkeying around with the engine himself.

You miss the point - it isn't the "cause" of the fire that is so important as the buses ability to deal with it.

Poorly deigned or put together with poor materials, than the fire will spread out of control.

6 hours ago, sabai-dee-man said:

unlikely, though not impossible, for diesel to simply ignite on contact with a hot surface.

you'd have to be specific about exactly how hot that surface is - to explode in an engine it has to be injected underpressure into a compression chamber.Petrol/Gasolene can hang around as a vapour in normal everyday temperatures and becomes a virtual bomb.

5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

From the above report:

Unquote

I we sure it wasn't NPG???

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Another bus fire! We must assume it one that has not yet gone through the rigorous check up. Or maybe that was not necessary for diesel buses? Hmmm....until now it looks like! Just wondering how many years old this bus is, and how many miles it has been running on the same engine. Also, might there be any inspections that have been overlooked due to bribes because everyone knows it should be taken out of commission years ago?

the media in Thailand reports on RTIs a lot - as it is an uncensored part of journalism.Afeter the tagedy a few weeks back it is all the more likely that bus fires will get more prominent column inches for the next few months.