Smoking tobacco or Cannabis vs Buddhist Meditation Practice, major impediment or not?

rockyysdt

The meditation practice I'm familiar with revolves around breath.

• Observation of breath.
  • Breathing in, breathing out.
  • Observation of the space between the in breath and the out breath.
  • The effects of Short, or no breath, vs deep breath.
  • Achieving a long regular, relaxed breath without feeling winded or strained.

With cannabis shops one sees these days just about everywhere I sometimes feel temptation.

But I also I automatically visualise the damage regular smoking might have on my practice.

I think of my lungs as a passport to successful Meditation and Mindfulness.

This thought generates an aversion in me towards smoking of any kind.

I think, why would I harm one of the most powerful tools available to me in pursuing my quest?

Don't know what others might have experienced mixing the two??

2 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

With cannabis shops one sees these days just about everywhere I sometimes feel temptation. ... But I also I automatically visualise the damage regular smoking might have on my practice.\

Moderation, as with any vice.  I indulge in less than 1 doobie (joint/ganga cig) a month.

The other night, matter of fact, though didn't help me enjoy the latest 'Alien' movie, and just a decent time killer.

Just petting the dog, or relaxing after sex (not w/dog), is meditating / relaxing enough.  Walks in the park, looking for critters to take a snap of, or operating the drones.

Doing nothing on front or back porch, watching the birds.

Edited by KhunLA

On 10/18/2024 at 12:39 AM, khaowong1 said:

A lot of senior monks I know, chew betel nut.  I've heard it has a similar experience to pot.  Never tried it so don't really know. 

I used to place Monks on a pedestal.

I learned that Monk hood, amongst other things, offers devotees freely given resource allowing them to focus on their practice.

The difference between a Monk and anyone else, is that Monks have devoted their life towards practice, and that the community freely offers resource in order for the Monks to focus on their journey.

When I learn of stories where Monks regularly chew betel nut, I think firstly that Monks, like everyone, are subject to aversion, delusion, and greed.

On 10/17/2024 at 10:52 PM, KhunLA said:

Moderation, as with any vice.  I indulge in less than 1 doobie (joint/ganga cig) a month.

Moderation is important, but isn't it important what you choose to moderate?

Especially if what you moderate can eventually affect your goals.

Edited by rockyysdt

3 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

Moderation is important, but isn't it important what you choose to moderate?

Especially if what you moderate can eventually affect your goals.

If it affects your goals, then you're not doing a very good job at moderation, and probably should quit all together.

I smoked a lot more, and drank a lot more alcohol pre 50 yrs old.  Didn't seem to interfere with my early retirement plans.  

Went from weekend warrior to monthly monthly warrior after retiring (46 yrs) old.  To now hardly indulge at all at 69, even less so with alcohol.  Neither drug falls into a healthy thing to do, especially if abused.

Common sense should tell people alcohol is poison to the body, and people should quit or live with their choices.  

Both will eventually kill you, if something else doesn't sooner.  No desire to rush the inevitable.  Especially since most everything I do is more enjoyable than taking stimulants.  That's a kid's game, been there, done that ... survived.

Marketing to the weak minded, keeps people addicted to drugs.  Don't know how they ignore the negative effect it has on their bodies.  And yet ... they continue to kill themselves.

I only smoke a doobie now because I simply have it, and do enjoy with a movie now and then.  But with all the crap they put out, once a month is a stretch.  I've had the ganga for about 2 yrs now, and will probably give it away or trash it soon.  I don't know anyone locally that smokes it, so off to the compost pile soon.

Edited by KhunLA