Short term volunteering; visas and work permits

jnp73

Hi,

A friend's son wants to come to Thailand to do a few weeks volunteering teaching English. The volunteering company has said it's ok to come over on the tourist visa or on a visa-exempt basis and not bother with a work permit. My understanding is that it is necesssary to have a volunteer visa and get a work permit, even for a few weeks. The company has said noone checks and not to worry about getting official paperwork. Does anyone have anyknowledge, experience or advice on this?

43 minutes ago, jnp73 said:

A friend's son wants to come to Thailand to do a few weeks volunteering teaching English.

"Few weeks" in other words coming most likely visa exempt and wants to work in a school. 

Surely you are aware of how insane that plan is.

Wouldn't have near any of my kids (if I had any) 

Consider google "Soi dog foundation" located Phuket.

They have easy options for volunteering..

Minimum period 2 days. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

"Few weeks" in other words coming most likely visa exempt and wants to work in a school. 

Surely you are aware of how insane that plan is.

Wouldn't have near any of my kids (if I had any) 

Hi. I'm not checking the sanity of the plan but the legality. Do you have advice on that?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

This may not answer your questions but it shows what goes on.

A friend come to Thailand every year for three months.

He 'assists' at a local International school. ie he sits with the kids, one on one and they read to him from an English book.

He corrects their pronunciation, explains words and so on.

He does this for one or two days a week and sits somewhere away from the classroom.

He is not teaching. He is listening and helping.

He has done this for many years. No WP needed.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Followed later by ...

10 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Are you serious. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Tropicalevo said:

Probably moreso in the boonies.

I just find it amazing that a farang can "volunteer" any assistance that deals with children ie schools in any role. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Teach English for free? How noble of him!

As long as there're no money involved - otherwise WP and proper visa required. Don't try to outsmart local immigration

-Who is organizing the classes?

-Are they being paid to organize the classes?

-Are the classes organized by existing levels of capability?

-Who 'recruits' the students?

-Is the 'teacher' qualified?

-Is there are progressive testing?

-Who provides/pays for books / materials used?

• Like 1

The only volunteer that does not need a work permit is with a THAI GOVERNMENT PROGRAM - Royal or local.

A ID Card is issued by the govt agency and good ONLY doing the assigned "work'at a assigned location. I was required to have a long stay. Visa / Extension, in my case retirement

Edited by edwardflory
spelling - fat fingers
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

The only volunteer that does not need a work permit is with a THAI GOVERNMENT PROGRAM - Royal or local.

A ID Card is issued by the govt agency and good ONLY doing the assigned "work'at a assigned location. I was required to have a long stay. Visa / Extension, in my case retirement

Guessing this would be things like the Tourist police volunteers?

1 minute ago, bigt3116 said:

Guessing this would be things like the Tourist police volunteers?

Tourist Police yes - usually retirement. I also taught English under a program developed his late Royal Majesty Rama nine

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jnp73 said:

Hi,

A friend's son wants to come to Thailand to do a few weeks volunteering teaching English. The volunteering company has said it's ok to come over on the tourist visa or on a visa-exempt basis and not bother with a work permit. My understanding is that it is necesssary to have a volunteer visa and get a work permit, even for a few weeks. The company has said noone checks and not to worry about getting official paperwork. Does anyone have anyknowledge, experience or advice on this?

you only need one jealous thai that think they are losing out on this freeby good doer

1 hour ago, jnp73 said:

Thanks, edwardflory. So, work permit is needed - even for short term.

Paid or unpaid, he would need a Non Imm O (volunteer) visa and work permit to be legal.

Q:    An NGO in Thailand has invited me to go there and work for them

as a volunteer for 45 days during my school break. I will not earn

any money in Thailand. I am a Belgian college student in Brussels. 

I understand that I do not need a visa, do I? 

A:    Although you will work as a volunteer, you do need a Non-Immigrant visa as well as the Work Permit. The NGO must be legally registered with the Thai authority, and that you need a recommendation letter from the NGO for your visa application and the Work Permit. 

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/publicservice/questions-answers-on-thai-visa?cate=5d5bcb4e15e39c30600068d3      

Edited by Liquorice

Hi. I'm not checking the sanity of the plan but the legality. Do you have advice on that?

His plan would make him illegal... that is factual and is the advice that he needs and that you're asking for.      Whether he would ever be checked is a different matter and no one can give you "advice" based on others' opinions.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

The company has said noone checks and not to worry about getting official paperwork. Does anyone have anyknowledge, experience or advice on this?

The company isn't at risk of being fined, held in IDC, deported, and possibly banned.

Should he choose to proceed on the conditions outlined, he would be termed as working illegally.
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

A friend come to Thailand every year for three months.

He 'assists' at a local International school. ie he sits with the kids, one on one and they read to him from an English book.

He does this for one or two days a week and sits somewhere away from the classroom.

He has done this for many years. No WP needed.

"No WP needed".

Doubtless confirmed by the Labour Department and the Immigration Bureau, yes?

He is not teaching.

Oh yes, he is.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

His plan would make him illegal... that is factual and is the advice that he needs and that you're asking for.      Whether he would ever be checked is a different matter and no one can give you "advice" based on others' opinions.

Don't assume that NGO organizations or gov't offices / ministries / agencies are fully informed / are experts re visas and work permits, they aren't. But that doesn't stop them from making statements on such subjects, usually wrong.

My own example, during the process to get my Thai Social Security (SSO) Injury and SIckness benefits continued after I retired. 

I showed them my pink Thai ID card. SSO regional senior asked how I got the pink card.

I responded ' because i have Thai Permanent Residence'. He responded 'there's no such thing so this card is a fake. 

22 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Teach English for free? How noble of him!

As long as there're no money involved - otherwise WP and proper visa required. Don't try to outsmart local immigration

Nope,  volunteering requires a permit regardless of whether you are paid or not. Thats why they call it volunteering

2 hours ago, Goethe said:

You may not "volunteer" in Thailand in any capacity without the requisite documents. 

Surely it would be rare (if ever) for a foreigner to be trouble for joining a team to pick up rubbish off a beach, walk dogs at the Soi Dog Foundation or volunteer to paint the in-laws house?

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Nope,  volunteering requires a permit regardless of whether you are paid or not. Thats why they call it volunteering

Dah!

I went to KG and spoke with kids about cartoons and gave them some drops of my broken English. 

I walked on the beach in Krabi and picked up few dirty bottles

I helped old lady to crawl on the stairs at SkyTrain

These visa paranoia became overwhelming indeed

• Thumbs Up 1