Drunk Porsche Driver Offers B200,000 Settlement, Victim’s Father Questions Charges

webfact

33 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

No way should this method of the rich paying to get out of criminal charges continue.....it is a total abomination.

I'm rich, I can do (almost) what the hell I like and then throw money at any problems that arise.....if you were trying encapsulate what is wrong with Thailand...it is this.

Just like some other little rich kid... I think everyone knows who I mean.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, mdr224 said:

Looks like the police got paid off. With alot more than 200k most likely

Which is why he can only afford 200K to each of the victims. A pittance. 
Add another few zeros and 5 years in the slammer. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Sorry Mr Suding, but it is still not attempted murder.

The fact that the driver, in his inebriated state, did not see the victim when he was reversing, does not show intent.

Very sad for the two innocent victims.

Definitely needs more than 200 grand.

True… however he may be indicted on:

-drunk driving leading to a motor accident

-wreckless driving/running a red light

-leaving the scene of a crime

and probably other crimes. Kid should do serious time in addition to paying big $$. Sadly that may not happen here in the land of wai’s and brown envelopes.

-

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite the serious injuries sustained, the driver’s lawyer recently proposed a settlement of B200,000 for each victim, insisting this was all the driver could afford.

Then I'd suggest going for the prison option.

If he was drunk (the Porsche driver) then his insurance would NOT cover him or his vehicle's damage. It should STILL cover the medical costs and damages to the victims.

It's VERY possible that all he had was the compulsory gov't insurance which barely covers anything. I know a lot of people (Thais) that have expensive cars/motorcycles and that is all they have for insurance and then only because they have to pay for it when they do their annual inspection to get their new road tax decal.

I can only get standard "Class 3" insurance for my bike because of it's age (weird Thai rules - the older your vehicle, the less insurance you can get because here, vehicles don't get more valuable when they become "vintage").
The sad part is, if I get into an accident, even if it's clearly the other person's fault, my insurance would likely have to pay THEIR medical and damage costs but I would still have to pay for my own repairs.

Drives me up the wall when I go on trips and see friends drinking like fish (starting literally at 9 in the morning) and then drive off - with their whole family in the vehicle - knowing they have literally no insurance if they get into an accident.

2 hours ago, outsidetrader said:

Plus the fact the insureance we pay for is to mop up the mess otherwise it's pointless having it in the first place ..The Porshe no doubt will be fully insured plus the government insureance will have large figures on the polices in case of accident ....The Insurears are the ones the injured parties should be dealing with .

Ok.the driver may have been over the limit but that's a different case if the police want to push it ...what ever it is still an accident and it's the insureance company's job to sort out the compensation etc etc 

You aren't covered by insurance if drunk, you're on your own.

Problem one regardless the police has no business settling cases in the first place big reason why the system is broken. Investigate write the report pass it on to the judicial system for the proper charges  drunk driving this has to be separate from any civil compensation.

See people with money do this here cause they know majority of Thais do not have money to spend to contest and there isnt ProBono lawyers or groups nor does prosecutors willing to take the time too afraid doing so they would step on someones toes that ruins their career.

This guy doesnt have the backbone to serve a minute and sadly he wont Right now he should be in jail teady to be arraign on charges compensation is a separate issue. 

The report says Ms Aom was critically injured, which suggests that sadly she may not have survived. Has her family accepted the 200.000Bt. ? I hope they will also fight for more. And how much is the damaged Porsche worth? Sell it and add it to the compensation already offered.