Positive stroke for moving to Chiang Mai

JimGant

20 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Why go there when there are so many other places to choose from just in Thailand.

Isaan is fantastic....brilliant.....amazing.

Hhmmm, I personally think most of Isaan (95%+) couldn’t acutely be described as that, but there are a few decent cities, eg, Udon, Khon Kaen.  I guess it depends on needs and lifestyle preferences.  

20 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Chiang Mai is clearly one of the best place to live in Thailand, for a few months the air is poor, but you can easily head to the islands then.

No wonder the US press is reporting these stories, Chiang Mai never disappoints.

Air quality is cr@p for at least 6-8 months of the year; you can't see the mountains or go bicycling with that toxicity. Chiang Mai never disappoints? hahaaahhh

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

I have lived through 36 smoky seasons here and it's not 6 months as one

poster says , I am 79 now does that mean I could live to 120 if I lived that

time in clean air, just happy if I make it to 80 ,that will be enough for me.

regards worgeordie

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I've managed 15, sometimes the pollution is 2 months, sometimes it stretches to 3 months.

I actually prefer smog to rain as the smog doesn't stop me cycling everyday.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Keeps said:

Was your Mrs looking over your shoulder and possibly holding some sort of weapon when you typed that last bit?

If you are talking about avoiding the pollution, you are years too late.  Our oceans are super polluted,   NASA has a satellite showing active "open" fires and during the CM burning season just look at the SEA part - is almost totally red as ASIANs from SEA, north to CHINA and west to INDIA plus to the south also, the red inidicative of forest fires or sugar cane field burning, or corn fieds b urning or rice fields burning and  of course the mushroom hunters and their forest fires.  There is no escape here.  Yeah I came from the US, but pollution is not on my list of why I am here  instead of there.  I don't  plan to change my mind about returning there...With weather changing around the world who really knows where any place is the best.  To each their own.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

You beat me by a couple of years 🙂 34 years in Chiangmai and just turned 81, so by all accounts with all the crappy air I should be dead by now!

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, motdaeng said:

many foreigners still consider chiang mai the best place to live in thailand. it's hard to believe, but true ...

who would willingly move to a city known for traffic jams and extremely unhealthy air during the burning season ...

you have to wonder what goes through people's minds when they move to a city known for its extreme air pollution ...

and then talk about having a good quality of life in chiang mai ... unbelievable ...

What goes through MY mind is....

a. Chiang Mai is the very best culture I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.  And, maybe it's just the Lanna in me.

b. I enjoy the smoking season because:  When it's so smokey that the data goes off the charts....  THEN... I have no guilty regrets about remaining indoors, seated at my computer, instead of outdoors hiking in the mountains, and sweating like a pig.

c.  Everybody knows that the Farang in Chiang Mai are smarter than the Farang living  anywhere else in Thailand, on average.  Just check the data.  Or, just look at what the Farang are wearing in Pattaya compared to what the Farang are wearing in Chiang Mai.

c2.  Or, just read the Chiang Mai Sub-forum, and compare it to the Pattaya Sub-forum. The difference in intelligence is like....Night and Day.  No contest, even.

d.  Honestly, I have never loved living in Asia as much in my 45 years here, as I now do living in Chiang Mai.  I guess, maybe, judging from "Point d" that one must be way above average IQ to understand the many blessings we receive after moving to the best city in Thailand, which is Chiang Mai.

e.  I hate the way newcomers (Farang) can't even pronounce the "Chiang" in Chiang Mai.  Total morons, in my view.

• Agree 1