England's Children's Commissioner Urges for Nationwide Ban on Smacking

Social Media

image.png

The children’s commissioner for England, Rachel de Souza, has called for a nationwide ban on smacking children, joining the ranks of Scotland and Wales, where the practice is already illegal. De Souza, a former head teacher, argues that such legislation is necessary to ensure the safety and well-being of children. In an interview with *The Observer*, she stressed the importance of taking this step to prevent violence against children, saying, “A ban on smacking is a necessary step to keep children safe and to stop lower-level violence from escalating.”

Currently, in England, smacking is permitted as long as it falls under the scope of "reasonable punishment," as outlined in Section 58 of the Children Act 2004. However, there is growing pressure for the UK Government to follow the examples set by Scotland, which banned smacking in 2020, and Wales, which followed suit two years later. De Souza, who has a long history of working with children, believes the time has come for England and Northern Ireland to adopt similar measures. She explained that "too many cases" have arisen where children have been harmed by those entrusted with their care. "I abhor violence of any kind against children. Children are more vulnerable than adults, so we need to ensure that they are protected, and their rights are supported," she emphasized.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) has also voiced its support for a ban, highlighting a sharp increase in concerns about physical punishment. According to the NSPCC, calls to their helpline about children being physically disciplined have more than tripled in the last year. Of the 1,451 contacts they received, nearly half were serious enough to warrant referrals to social services or the police. Anna Edmundson, head of policy and public affairs at the NSPCC, echoed De Souza’s concerns, noting that the rise in reports and the growing body of evidence shows the potential harm of physical punishment. "There is also mounting evidence that physically disciplining children can be damaging," Edmundson stated.

With the safety of children as a priority, De Souza's call for a smacking ban reflects a growing recognition of the need to protect children from all forms of violence. While the debate continues, the push for a nationwide ban is gaining momentum, driven by concerns about child welfare and the desire to prevent harm before it escalates.

Based on a report from the Daily Telegraph 2024-10-22

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Sad 1

Do they offer suggestions for alternative punishments or just to raise another generation of brats?
I am one of those who say that "It never did me any harm". Talking about smacking, not beating.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I disagree corporal punishment should be a tool in the parenting handbook and the government should stay out of it unless it’s abused.I remember getting it a few times when I deserved it.the little rascals need to have a bit of fear or they will walk all over you!