Samsung repairs / after sales service

Kenny202

Anyone had any dealings with them here? We bought a brand new 50" TV from Lotus just over a year ago....thing is a couple of months out of warranty. This morning for no apparent reason lost picture but still have sound. Called Samsung service...got the local agent call us back on the phone to announce "oh this problem 6000 baht to fix (+7% VAT) lol", without even seeing it. And not taking into account the thing just out of warranty. The repair would be 60% the price of the TV we paid!

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I wouldn't buy Samsung again, i have a TV now, have you tried Samsung in Pattaya North Pattaya Road?

Thanks for the reply mate but not every Westerner in Thailand lives in Pattaya lol. We are up north. Looks like the service / repairs are all co ordinated through HO in Bangkok. or so my missus says anyway. We have a Samsung office here too but not for walk in repairs. In any case the local Samsung office were the ones who called us. According to missus we have to call Bkk and they farm the job out to their techs here. I asked her why she wasn't talking sternly to Samsung as the machine is only 14 months old, and why didn't you take them to task on how they know exactly how much the TV will cost to repair (6000 baht + 7% VAT) without even seeing it? Like talking to a brick wall. This sort of TV has about 5-6 PC boards in it as well as connectors etc and could be anyone of those things. There are 20 you tube videos saying this model had a PC board connector problem and can be fixed in 15 minutes.  We do know a private tech who I use to do my music stuff amps etc and he told us he does TVs too. I would have called him first but 2 months out of warranty you would think Samsung would at least come and check first. The private tech guy usually honest and ridiculously cheap but I heard my missus telling him Samsung quoted us 6000 baht (even though she denies it) so who knows what is going to happen. Hes picking it up today.

As for Samsung, yes that the end of them for me. Reading a story about one of their phones they released just over a year ago...same thing just out of warranty and people getting lines on their screens etc. Samsung not only not offering to repair cheaply or free but milking it quoting ridiculous prices for replacement screens. Had a similar issue with LG also so they are off the Xmas list.

13 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks for the reply mate but not every Westerner in Thailand lives in Pattaya lol. We are up north. Looks like the service / repairs are all co ordinated through HO in Bangkok. or so my missus says anyway. We have a Samsung office here too but not for walk in repairs. In any case the local Samsung office were the ones who called us. According to missus we have to call Bkk and they farm the job out to their techs here. I asked her why she wasn't talking sternly to Samsung as the machine is only 14 months old, and why didn't you take them to task on how they know exactly how much the TV will cost to repair (6000 baht + 7% VAT) without even seeing it? Like talking to a brick wall. This sort of TV has about 5-6 PC boards in it as well as connectors etc and could be anyone of those things. There are 20 you tube videos saying this model had a PC board connector problem and can be fixed in 15 minutes.  We do know a private tech who I use to do my music stuff amps etc and he told us he does TVs too. I would have called him first but 2 months out of warranty you would think Samsung would at least come and check first. The private tech guy usually honest and ridiculously cheap but I heard my missus telling him Samsung quoted us 6000 baht (even though she denies it) so who knows what is going to happen. Hes picking it up today.

As for Samsung, yes that the end of them for me. Reading a story about one of their phones they released just over a year ago...same thing just out of warranty and people getting lines on their screens etc. Samsung not only not offering to repair cheaply or free but milking it quoting ridiculous prices for replacement screens. Had a similar issue with LG also so they are off the Xmas list.

i expect my Samsung to go Kaput in it's first year, maximum year 2, next time I'm going with TCL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i expect my Samsung to go Kaput in it's first year, maximum year 2, next time I'm going with TCL

My 55"Samsung smart TV still going strong after 4 years.......

• Agree 1

What really annoyed me when I bought this was I spent at least 30-45 minutes to get the thing hooked up and workable as it is mandatory to set up an online  Samsung account, register everything, trying to type in crap with the remote control....go through all this rigmarole that in no way benefits / effects or is required for the usage of the TV in anyway. Only benefit is to Samsung so they save on advertising sending me around 4 advertising / spam emails everyday.

• Agree 1

Samsung washing maching still going strong after 11 years. Same for Samsung fridge. Samsung smart TV good as new after 7 years. Samsung phones for last several years, never a problem. Except for being damaged by self.

I used to work in broadcast TV in London and asked the engineers which was a good TV to get. This was in 2007, and I ended up with a 42-inch plasma by Panasonic. It is now in my Bangkok condo and is still working great.

Unfortunately, it weighs a ton and is only 1080p. I really want to upgrade to an OLED 55" but can't bring myself to chuck out the plasma. Especially as so many seem to report problems after just a couple of years with newer TVs. When it finally dies, I would probably buy another Panasonic or maybe a Sony. Unless others know of a better brand these days? 

• Agree 1

I'm on my sixth Samsung TV, an 85 inch QLED one, and I think it will be my last one. While the picture is good the software is rubbish, their media player is about a decade behind the times in the formats it can handle. On top of that, there's now the rigmarole as already mentioned of having to register an account with them just to get the wretched thing working, plus the advertising which you can;t do anything about, plus it's a locked device so you can only instal the apps that Samsung deems acceptable. For a consumer device costing well over 100K Baht that's just not acceptable in my book. To add insult to injury, they then screwed me out of the full 3-year warranty on the big TV and would only give me 1-year. Crooked as well as incompetent. Next time I'll just buy the biggest cheap TV I can find and add an Android box or mini-PC to it. None of the Samsung smart TV's I've had has ever lasted more than 7 or 8 years, and I've also had a Samsung fridge-freezer that conked out after 5 years. Samsung is hopelessly over-rated IMHO.

• Like 1

I also asked my local TV repair man in the UK which TVs are the most reliable,  he also told me Panasonic are the most reliable TVs that hardly ever give problems. He mentioned the soldering was far superior to any other brand.

Most Samsung TV's are meant to last few years at most . Every TV I had has been Samsung and all developed problems after 2 year . Main problems are line appearing on the screen and dark spots on the screen. 

I did have one that had same problem as you and took it to Samsung repair centre . They said about 6-8000 bht to fix and I said no thanks as can buy new for another 5000 bht on top of that .

Took it home and thought it was the backlight that was the problem so took it apart and could see where some parts were bust on the light strips . Then ordered same strips on Lazada for less than 1000 bht I think it was and then fitted them using a YouTube video. Put it all together and hey presto worked perfectly. Was pretty easy to take apart , apart from removing the edging from the white board inside was a bit annoying as the edges were sharp and cut myself trying to separate it. Very easy to put back together. If you have patience and time I suggest trying to sort it yourself.

• Like 1

My 65” Samsung, 7 or 8 years old, was great until 6 months ago. Now there are two bright arcs coming from  each side of the screen’s bottom. Not too annoying, sometines the arcs even compliment the picture.

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

They build things to a price these days.

In my experience, in most cases repairs are just not worth it.

Estimating your TV was around 13 000 Baht over a year ago.

You could probably get the same one for under 10 000 now and another

brand probably cheaper.

So unless your tech can repair it for around 3000 Baht, you're better off getting another one.

My experience with Tv's in Thailand is they have lasted generally about 4 years.

I've had most brands, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and LG.

I wonder whether it makes a difference if you leave it on standby 

20 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Anyone had any dealings with them here? We bought a brand new 50" TV from Lotus just over a year ago....thing is a couple of months out of warranty. This morning for no apparent reason lost picture but still have sound. Called Samsung service...got the local agent call us back on the phone to announce "oh this problem 6000 baht to fix (+7% VAT) lol", without even seeing it. And not taking into account the thing just out of warranty. The repair would be 60% the price of the TV we paid!

My experience with my 32" TV mirrors yours almost exactly. The picture became unwatchable just one day after the warranty expired. This is a classic case of 'planned obsolescence,' and unfortunately, there's little you can do except avoid this brand in the future.

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I wonder whether it makes a difference if you leave it on standby 

I'm not sure.

We get a lot of power cuts where we are.

I've got a surge protector but not sure if the power failures contribute or not.

As mentioned above, just get the cheapest model of a decent brand.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I had the same (55" Samsung) ....... paid the fix ........ 6 months later broken again.

Now I buy TCL, for 16k5bht you can get a 75" TCL LCD with Google TV and a 3 year manufacturer warrenty.

@jrward42 TCL 75" QLED Google TV currently at 23,500bht with 3 year warranty and they're really good.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

They don't make them like they used too ! 

I go with Sony for TV's nowadays. Panasonic if I could find one. 

I always assumed that a warranty period was the guarantee to repair free of charge during that time period, however, last week I watched a YouTube video about consumer rights and found out that the majority of electronics companies will repair free of charge after this period if you pay for shipping. A threat of court action normally initiates this free repair. 

Food for thought but then again it is Thailand ! 

1 hour ago, jrward42 said:

I used to work in broadcast TV in London and asked the engineers which was a good TV to get. This was in 2007, and I ended up with a 42-inch plasma by Panasonic. It is now in my Bangkok condo and is still working great.

Unfortunately, it weighs a ton and is only 1080p. I really want to upgrade to an OLED 55" but can't bring myself to chuck out the plasma. Especially as so many seem to report problems after just a couple of years with newer TVs. When it finally dies, I would probably buy another Panasonic or maybe a Sony. Unless others know of a better brand these days? 

I have an 18 year old plasma Panasonic bought in UK and brought out here when I emigrated. Still going strong. I did buy a 55 inch LG OLED about 4 years ago which I put in the new house. It was a bargain 25K baht half price because it was last year's model but is fantastic . Reviews say LG  make the best OLED on the market. Can't disagree and being a smart TV has pre installed TV apps like Netflix etc. 

21 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Bought cheap, got cheap......

For me, LG and Sony do the best quality. For other things, Mitsubishi only (fan, Aircon, fridge) never again Samsung!!!

The problem is Samsung Thailand: They spend a lot of money on Marketing, and giving commission to sales recruits in stores.

What you get from Samsung at the same price of others is automatically and garanted to be inferior.

It's crazy how almost all staff will try to push you to get Samsung no matter how much you tell them "I DONT want Samsung!"

they are begging me to change to Samsung when I was already at the counter, multiple times.

Last time I needed to buy a TV, happend.

when I needed to buy 2 huge Aircons for the new house, omg, so hard to buy the brand I wanted, they only want to sell me crap Samsung, I ended up buying Mitsubishi heavy-duty on Lazada for the same price of the Samsung Aircons, while Mitsubishi is just another league of quality that Samsung will never be even close.

Happens in Home Pro and Megahome.

the most hilarious when I bought my LG washing machine, they Home pro staff was begging me to change to Samsung, I even  lost my temper which prompted a small commotion, that was at least 10 years ago.

54 minutes ago, brfsa2 said:

What you get from Samsung at the same price of others is automatically and garanted to be inferior.

Yep, including phones, probably because products aren't made in Korea anymore, now China and cheap as possible

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

We bought a brand new 50" TV from Lotus just over a year ago....thing is a couple of months out of warranty

Same happened to me, it just sits there collecting dust now. 

Googlesearch in your area 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5wr8Gx8xDR7Yz2a98

Good luck, Let us know how you go. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

5 minutes ago, OneZero said:

I see many recommendations for TCL.  Is that a Thai company?

How about Acconatic, & is Acconatic a Thai company? 

TCL is a big Chinese company, usually good value for money, cheap but good, I'm going with them next time

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had a Samsung LED TV that lasted nearly 12+ years and I have a Samsung Fridge going on 20 and an AC nearing the same age. all going strong.   

That said I would not buy a Samsung appliance again. I have had other more recent samsung products <deleted> the bed after a couple of years with easy fixes but no replacement parts in sight