Foreigner Wrecks Chiang Mai Stall After Smoking Ban Warning

webfact

Not that I have anything against anybody but starting fights in pubs and getting rude and agressive with others is quite a caracteristic with many pub drunks from the middle or lower classes in some poor cities and towns of the UK. Almost something "cultural". Of course this does not mean all are like that in any place,  but the problem is usually the nice and decent folks are hard to find and are not monegering all over the streets and stalls of Thailand.

24 minutes ago, 2long said:

But is/was it illegal for him to smoke there?

Can you answer that?

It may not have been illegal....   but smoking in that area is certainly antisocial and outs the Brit as a self-centred pr!ck...   I think that much is already a given.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, BarBoy said:

Absolutely disgusting behavior from the Thai woman throwing water...

Should be done for common assault! 

Unless it was Songkran . 555

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

It may not have been illegal....   but smoking in that area is certainly antisocial and outs the Brit as a self-centred pr!ck...   I think that much is already a given.

But NOT a danger to the gas bottles.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But NOT a danger to the gas bottles.

100% not a danger to the Gas Bottles.... that part of the article was an attempt to shine the Thai women in a 'favourable light'....    However, the video shows they behaved as poorly as the British guy.... perhaps even worse. 

I've not seen anything other than the headline of the article that shows any damage to the stall... and if there was any damage it was done by the women trying grab buckets and water to throw at the Brit.... 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

I wish the motorbike guys were there to practice their football skills on his head!

And thinking like that, makes you what kind of person. In my book, at the same level.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Dave1954 said:

How did they know he was British did he show them his passport? That's the problem here in Thailand if you speak English they presume you're British

I guess you missed to hear the unmistaken dialect in the video.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dave1954 said:

How did they know he was British did he show them his passport? That's the problem here in Thailand if you speak English they presume you're British

I think it was the Scunthorpe tattoo'd on his forehead..........

12 Benny Hill Royalty-Free Images, Stock Photos & Pictures ...

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 2long said:

But is/was it illegal for him to smoke there?

Can you answer that?

exactly,  just putting up a sign does not mean anything,  He could have been wearing a "designated smoking area" slung around his neck which would also be meaningless. I have no idea what the legalities were in this situation but very often the Thais can be a bit too quick to lay claim to public areas when setting up their market stalls. 

Just this afternoon I saw one who had completely blocked the nearside lane of a dual carriageway by parking his pick up and unloading his entire load of assorted aluminium stepladders in order to display them.   I cannot imagine that there is anything legal about that, and I dread to think what happens if somebody drives straight into him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So you would be fine with him receiving serious possibly life threatening injuries.    I think you are taking your virtue signalling a little too seriously. I can understand it must be fun to be part of a baying mob but don't you think what you have suggested is going a little too far.  I hope you are not posting from the UK. people have received substantial custodial sentences for making comments similar to yours.

Just for the record due you think he deserves his face burning off for Smoking  or for being British?  

For smoking in a no-smoke area and showing his entitlement to smoke wherever he wants, even it's next to a gas tank. I don't care if he was smoking in a methane tank, as long as he's alone and not causing trouble or putting others at risk. Or at least, if warned of it, apologise and stop. But a self-entitled idiot who cites his freedom to put others in danger deserves whatever comes to him. I used to live in Pratunam and 2 such Darwin award winners got the gas tanks to ignite and burn half the market down, injuring several innocent people that were in the wrong place at the wrong time. So if it's only his face burned off to avoid hurting others - let him have it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Yinn was an Aussie bloke.......😘

Some say you were trying to court her, then when spurned, tried to lecture her.

Not sure whether it is true or not, but that’s what they say.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dave1954 said:

His colourful language and accent gave away his nationality with little room for doubt.

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

But a self-entitled idiot who cites his freedom to put others in danger deserves whatever comes to him.

What danger was he putting others in, apart from them breathing in his, very diluted, smoke?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Such familiarity with the forum for someone who only signed up a few months ago.... 

Long time lurker eh ??....    clearly a troll of different user names over the years... 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Oh really, well there are a few on here that enjoyed making up stories, but they were soundly buried.....😉

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Such familiarity with the forum for someone who only signed up a few months ago.... 

Long time lurker eh ??....    clearly a troll of different user names over the years... 

I have been a fan for years. 

I used to read it when driving my truck before moving here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed, though he is being careful this time..............😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, MalcolmB said:

I have been a fan for years. 

I used to read it when driving my truck before moving here.

Thought you said you were now British, us British drive Lorries...😋

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

His colourful language

Yelling at Thais to F Off in the street was probably worse than the smoking to be honest.

It is somehow acceptable back home, but really offensive to Thais.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

For smoking in a no-smoke area and showing his entitlement to smoke wherever he wants, even it's next to a gas tank. I don't care if he was smoking in a methane tank, as long as he's alone and not causing trouble or putting others at risk. Or at least, if warned of it, apologise and stop. But a self-entitled idiot who cites his freedom to put others in danger deserves whatever comes to him. I used to live in Pratunam and 2 such Darwin award winners got the gas tanks to ignite and burn half the market down, injuring several innocent people that were in the wrong place at the wrong time. So if it's only his face burned off to avoid hurting others - let him have it.

So have we established it was a no smoking area?   Or are the no smoking signs intended for those working at the food stall?   

No body was put in danger at all,  as others have mentioned the presence of the naked flames of the gas burners poses no risk so why would a cigarette be so dangerous.?  where you used to live is irrelevant, 

I don't disagree that if he was asked politely to stop smoking he should have complied , but was he asked politely, somehow I doubt it, having seen the behaviour of the two screaming market trader women. 

• Love It 1