Is Bolt taxi drivers scamming you?

Eaglekott

Yesterday I took a Bolt taxi from home to Sukhumvit, I choose Taxi 130-171 Baht and it say meeter plus 20 Baht. The normal Bolt and Bolt economy were all busy.

My GPS said it would be a 45 min trip with tolls and 1h 5 min with out tolls.

I choose to use tolls. I thought 20 minutes faster could be worth 50 baht and I would be there in good time.

Bolt app stated 171 baht when I started the trip. I was checking the GPS on the way and twice the taxi driver choose a path on the highway that added 15 minutes each to the estimated time. Then when we drove off the highway we ended up having to drive long i the direction towards Lumpini in very heavy basically standing still traffic and then u turn and go back. Totally the 45 minutes trip took 1 hour and 40 minutes. 

Taxi driver even stopped by the road and bought some food from a street vendor. When I at last arrived very late he demanded 266 baht, instead of the 171 initially said by the application.

I have a feeling he intentionally took there longer slower routes to fuel the price. By the way so didn't he use the meeter in the Taxi, he just took the price from Bolt app

Never before have I payed more than about 160 baht for this trip. I hope this was a one time experience.

Anyone else that has experienced this?

The only times when the Bolt drivers try to cheat is when they turn aroung and ask to pay extra that is not included on the app. I usually politely refuse and then complain against the crook on the application. Happened many times in Hua HIn where the Bolt drivers were now and them quite agressive and rude and never even bothered to get out an help to unload all the goods I usually had when comming back from the mall.

If not. these taxi apps are fare better then the taxi meter or tuk tuks that are plainy a mafia and a bunch of cheats in Thailand who nevertheless seem to have far to much support in many media.