Herpes Zoster vaccination

Maestro

There is talk about the advisability of the herpes zoster vaccination for the elderly, ie 65+ years old. As I plan to see my family doctor for my annual flu shot next week,  I wonder if I should consider this for myself  since I am in this age group.

Talking about flu shots, is it true that there are different strains of the flu virus here in Europe and in Asia. I plan to fly to Thailand at the end of November for a couple of months.

I am also due for a refresher of my pneumonia vaccination (important for me because of my history). What is the latest vaccine available now?

17 minutes ago, Maestro said:

There is talk about the advisability of the herpes zoster vaccination for the elderly, ie 65+ years old

The prime determinant is: Did you have chicken pox as a child?

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus stays in your body for the rest of your life. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shingles/symptoms-causes/syc-20353054

Edited by jerrymahoney

Trust me, you don’t want a case of shingles. Been there done that last spring. It is a two shot vaccine about a month apart if i remember right - Shingrex is the name. 
current pneumonia vaccine is also two dose, about 6 months apart. 

Ask your dr ahead of your visit about getting the Northern hemisphere’s flu vaccine . You probably want it anyway, since you will be flying. I think the northern version’s selection of strains depends on what has happened in Australia and South America 6 months ahead. You will want the high potency version due to age. I get mine next week. 

• Thumbs Up 1