Making An Honest Woman Of Her

Tarragona

I've been together with my charming wife for about 14 years and we have one daughter. We've never gone down the official route as my wife has never been willing to lose her surname as long as we are living in Thailand. Anyway, I've now convinced her that with the current laws she no longer needs to give up her surname and so we're going to get registered and all that.

The question I have is about the affirmation I need to have signed at the embassy. Presumably this refers to my status back home so I shouldn't mention our daughter as a dependant? That's all I'd like confirmation of really.

The question I have is about the affirmation I need to have signed at the embassy. Presumably this refers to my status back home so I shouldn't mention our daughter as a dependant? That's all I'd like confirmation of really.

But why not mention her? It doesn't affect your freedom to marry, and in so far as it affects your financial status, your wife is already aware of this responsibility! (I think the financial part of the affirmation is intended to warn Thai women that farangs aren't as rich as Croesus. For example, were you to have dependent children in the Phillipines, you would be legally and morally required to declare them.)

If you don't mention her, it could conceivably be used against you at some time. I'm not sure how she stands for acquiring a non-Thai nationality, but it won't help if you've seemingly disowned her on the affirmation!

I would look into the consequences of getting registered a lot more. Just because currently she can still buy land, what guarantee does anyone have that laws will remain this way? You're putting a lot of confidence in the lawmakers of Thailand for the rest of her life!

Then there's things like setting up companies, any assets that such companies could hold, etc, etc. Not saying that getting married is not a good idea, just that for me I will not do so until I've got all of this CRYSTAL clear. Also I just can't see the benefit of getting registered. Maybe a slight advantage in taxes.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks for the comments.

Of course I don't want to disown my daughter - that's why I was asking. :o

Although I'm not thinking of going for this in the immediate future, wouldn't it be beneficial to be registered as married if I wish to try for Permanent Resident status?