Thai Massage Too Often?

fredself

When you are young,you can do it every day,sometimes 2 or 3 times.

But as you get older it drops to once a week and older, even less. :o

That is for men,, I do not know about women,,maybe one will answer with an honest answer,most guys will lie anyway.

• Haha 1

As long as the masseur/masseuse knows what he/she is doing, I see no harm. I have, however, been bruised in the past, and one time got a boil on my thigh that I suspect was related to pressing too hard in the wrong place. Also, once had my neck snapped by an over-zealous restroom attendant that left me unable to chew anything harder than oatmeal for several days.

That is for men,, I do not know about women,,maybe one will answer with an honest answer,most guys will lie anyway.

Who on earth would want to lie about going to get a Thai traditional massage?

And who on earth would want one 2 or 3 times a day?

sometimes your theories leave DaveYo standing Kev! :D

I personally don't rate Thai massage to highly, some of the techniques used, especially the manipulations are down right dangerous. I wouldn't let anyone do bodywork on me unless they were qualified to do so - I mean properly qualified. A Chiropractor has to do 5 years of full-time training before he can do manipulations - even then there are risks. Recently a Canadian woman had a stroke after visiting a Chiropractor for a neck adjustment. And the "Reflexologists/foot massage" in Los is another thing. Feet are highly complex/delicate structures, I've heard people say they've limped out of those places in agony. Charts and pictures of the human anatomy/feet pinned to walls give an illusion of competence. I used to know a Bar girl who supplemented her night work by working in a 'straight' massage shop by day, although probably skilled in some areas of the pleasure giving profession she was certainly not skilled in massage. In the past I've tried the so called professionals - wat po trained etc etc. even then I've not been too happy with aches pains and joint strains afterwards. I have an aunt in Europe who had to study for 2 yrs to get a full understandiing of safe massage techniques. Just my two pence worth :o Buddahboy.

• Like 1

I personally don't rate Thai massage to highly,

p---First I am a physician in San Diego. I have trained in Thai massage at the Old Medicine Hospital and ITM in Chaig Mai as well as here in the US. I also have taught Thai massage here in the US and use certain techniques with patients.

The therory and practice are atleast 5000 years old. The Sen lines and points on them have been used in established proceedures and protocols effectively for some time now.

some of the techniques used, especially the manipulations are down right dangerous.

If used improperly you are correct.

I wouldn't let anyone do bodywork on me unless they were qualified to do so - I mean properly qualified. A Chiropractor has to do 5 years of full-time training before he can do manipulations - even then there are risks. Recently a Canadian woman had a stroke after visiting a Chiropractor for a neck adjustment.

p---Yes Chiros here are "adjusting infants now. These guys should be arrested.

And the "Reflexologists/foot massage" in Los is another thing. Feet are highly complex/delicate structures, I've heard people say they've limped out of those places in agony. Charts and pictures of the human anatomy/feet pinned to walls give an illusion of competence.

p---It's hard to mess up a foot massage if you coach them through it from the beginning, harder or softer.

I used to know a Bar girl who supplemented her night work by working in a 'straight' massage shop by day, although probably skilled in some areas of the pleasure giving profession she was certainly not skilled in massage.

p---My medical opinion is that bar girls should be employed only within the scope of their specialty :o

In the past I've tried the so called professionals - wat po trained etc etc. even then I've not been too happy with aches pains and joint strains afterwards.

p---Wat po uses southern style it is typically stronger and more aggressive.

I have an aunt in Europe who had to study for 2 yrs to get a full understandiing of safe massage techniques. Just my two pence worth

p--- I guessing you haven't had alot of body work. All therapists must be instructed as to wether or not you like a very srtong/deep tecnique or a lighter touch. It's true for Swedish, Shiatsu, Myofacial release or Thai massage :D

Buddahboy.

I STILL PERSONALLY don't rate thai massage too highly, in fact I'll expand on that and say I don't rate it at all.

A physician? I know of two deaths in the past couple of year of critical illness/cancer where the "physician" sent the victims home with painkillers.

The theory and practice have been around for 5000 yrs. - On par with accupuncture, hasn't ever been proven to be more than a placebo. There have been a lot of theories and practices that have been around since time began, doesn't mean they're correct.

sen lines? point them out on an anatomy/physio chart.

Hard to mess up a foot massage? Tell the people, including posters here who limped out of foot massage shops that. People can mess up anything

wat po uses a stronger, more agressive southern approach - I think you'll find from the far north to the far south of los massage techniques are all the same - harmful. Anyway I don't care how hard, soft the massage is joint strains and pains shouldn't be the outcome.

I can safely say that 99.9 percent of massage staff in massage shops and establishments in los aren't competent in "safe" massage, although some do give great oil massages wth xtra icing :o Should a massage therapist come across a cancerous growth they'll more than likely say, "No promplem, I can do" and distribute the poison around your entire organism.

• Like 1

I have received massage every week, or more often, if the opportunity presents itself, since I was seven years old in Japan and have continued the practice for sixty years, in many countries of the world and in almost every school of massage there is.

To date, the only ill effects experienced, have been a rare soreness the day after from a very deep and strong massage that I encouraged and loved.

My only complaints about masseurs are they aren't strong enough for my taste, don't go deep enough and don't take long enough.

It should be known, that I have been an athlete my whole life, do participate in muscle building regularly and am considered somewhat muscular. I do know of people who hate massage, people who have bodies devoid of muscle and who would be foolish to get anything more than a soft body carress with lotion and people who have medical conditions who know massage is not good for their condition.

Most professional athletes receive massage almost immediately after every sporting event they participate in to keep them at the optimum performance level in ensuing days. Muscles that are exercised vigorously, need attention immediately afterward, including stretching and massage, otherwise they will stiffen, accumulate inordinate amounts of lactic acid and cramp.

I must say, I have never read or heard of such a negative view of massage as that advanced by buddaboy. He definitely should stay away from massage.

My problem in Thailand in the past three years is finding a "legit" massage, one where you don't have to tell the masseur that your genitals are "off limits". Last week, I was lucky, and found an old, ugly lady who was quite strong, who knew the pressure points and identified a very problematic area in my right rhomboid that needed extra work without being told. I am going back to her as the facility was clean, professional and part of a spa. 200 baht for an hour of Thai traditional massage. I will direct her next time to devote more time to neck and back as opposed to extremities, where most traditional Thai masseurs seem to spend an inordinate amount of time.

I had a foot massage there by a young, attractive lady first, and it was ordinary at best and easily bypassed in the future. I agree there are a lot of un-talented masseurs in Thailand, as there are in every country of the world.

PEPE said..---My medical opinion is that bar girls should be employed only within the scope of their specialty smile.gif

Now thems the kind of massages I was talking about,had em all my life,, once a week is enough anymore.

But then I don't know about traditional,don't want to either.

PEPE said..---My medical opinion is that bar girls should be employed only within the scope of their specialty smile.gif

Now thems the kind of massages I was talking about,had em all my life,, once a week is enough anymore.

But then I don't know about traditional,don't want to either.

Kev,

If you get the right one for a Traditional massage it can be great. My experience is that well trained and expert ones are few and far between.