The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

Cheers Pauly.

The results have changed ever since Ched Evans was convicted, but there is no point crying over spilt milk, so to speak.

Our second highest goal scorer has a tear in his shoulder and looks unlikely to make 90 minutes in any of the play off games.

We live in hope but I,m not sure if the Blades can pull it off without these two key strikers.

Some great matches going on - Sheffield Wednesday are about to be promoted and Crawley look to have crept into the automatic spot in League 2.

(all 7 of my Saturday accumulators have come up - just need Chelsea to win the cup and a few Premier results to go in my favour smile.png )

Well done to Wednesday, great run of results towards the end of the season has put them up.

Sheffield United have to face the playoffs, but I don't expect them to get past the first round.

Notts County missed the playoffs on goal average, as expected. But 7th in League One is pretty good for Notts in recent times, so people are quite happy and optimistic for next season. Keith Curle has done an outstanding job, yet had very little fan support when he came. With this record (P16, W10, D3, L3, F30, A19, PTS.33), it's no wonder they love him now.

The Blades are certainly wobbling. The loss of Evans seems to have thrown them more off-balance than I would have expected (not that I'm anyone's expert). It looks like they'll struggle in the playoffs, especially now with their second striker injured. Life is cruel; they really deserved to go up.

Martin Allen did what he is best at on Saturday and kept Barnet up. He is still held in high regard at Notts, among officials as well, I hear. Who knows what really happened behind the scenes, but the results show that his sacking was good for the team's performance. Who'd want to be a manager?

Strikers..Not only, may, the Blades will have to do without Cresswell making the full 90 minutes due to injury, James Beattie was sent off which means he won't play in the next 3 games (he won't play again) and Hoskins has already gone back to Brighton (he was on loan). Ched in prison, as we all know.

This leaves O,Hallahan and Porter up front. Dear o dear.

Div 1 next year I'm afraid.

Edited by soihok

Well done to Wednesday, great run of results towards the end of the season has put them up.

Sheffield United have to face the playoffs, but I don't expect them to get past the first round.

On behalf of all across the other side, thanks siohok.

I wanted to post before but felt it wasn,t right under the circumstances and most certainly didn,t want to appear like I was gloating ect. cause I,m not.

I can reassure you that most supporters are rooting for you and wanting you to join us in the Championship next season.

I will be hoping you get the rub of the green and there is a joint celebration.

Again I wanted to post a good luck message for you on Sunday morning but thought it best to wait for a reaction from yourself.

Had I been in your shoes I,d have felt like sh*t as indeed we did when we lost that deciding game to Crystal Palace.

I watched it at Meadowhall and I was upset for ages, it was a terrible feeling on the final whistle, I was walking about like a zombie afterwards.

My wish is that you go one better in the play offs and get the deserved promotion your close finish warrants.

We need you for the six pointer battles and all the banter #&^*&^%$@#@ that goes with it, especially at the local family doo,s whistling.gif

I am amazed and heartened at just how much genuine support and empathy there is from my end of the city..............Brilliant IMHO

Please do us all a favour then, get the results and clinch the double we all wish for and want.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Cheers for the response MB. Really appreciate a very sensible and level headed post.

The damage was done the game before last when we lost at home to Stevenage, who we haven't beat this season.

Truth be told, if we as a team/club can't beat Stevenage and even Exeter away, then its obvious that we aint in anyway good enough for the Championship. Saying that, we did manage to achieve 90 points, so lets say may the best team win the playoffs.

As I have said in my earlier posts, I would love to see both Sheffield clubs to gain promotion this year, without the need for the Blades to go through the playoffs. However, this is the way it is, I don't think we are at present good enough to achieve promotion and to avoid embarrassment next year, its Div 1 for Sheff Utd next season.

Football (and indeed life also) is full of "if only",s so I'm going to say "don't go there sister !" But Ched's removal has had a huge impact on the performances of late, and I've listened to most games over the internet on Radio Sheffield.

So mate, again, well done and I'm happy that at least one Sheffield club is up.

At least we can look forward to playing Doncaster next year.

Cheers

• Like 1

So it's Blackpool v West Ham in the final.

The Spammers have already beaten 'pool 4-0 & 4-1.....duuno what's gonna happen but I hope Blackpool do it, but the previous results don't bold well, looks like the Spammers may have their number.

Holloway is great. I'd much rather listen to his interviews any day of the week than Big Fat Sam as the West Ham fans call him.

Good luck Blackpool

First leg of the play offs tonight down here in Div 1.

Yet more games against Stevenage, and lets face it if The Blades can't beat Stevenage they don't deserve promotion.

I actually bought a 7 inch single by The Cockney Rejects singing I,m forever blowing bubbles. I've still got it somewhere.

It's something I don't like to talk about......woops.

The Blades are off to Wembley for the play off final, I think it will be against Huddersfield.

With the 4 strikers that got the goals over the season out of the team, the lone man up front Chris Porter, managed to score the only goal of the match.

I'm not sure when the final is but I hope that the key players that were missing ( Cresswell) and taken off injured ( Macdonald ) can recover in time.

One game away from promotion......United have failed in a play off situation in the last 5 attempts.

Maybe, just maybe, this will be our turn.

• Like 1

clap2.gif That,s the first hurdle completed.

Most of Sheffield are rooting for your success Soihok and the support is growing by the day with many high profile names on the list, not least our chairman who speaks for all of us.

Quote:-

Best wishes: Milan Mandaric hopes and thinks that the Blades will triumph in the play-offs and be promoted with Wednesday

MILAN Mandaric is backing Sheffield United to follow Wednesday into the Championship.

The Owls chairman feels that it would be good for the city if both clubs go up and that the Blades can do it via the play-offs.

“I sincerely believe that there would be nothing better than for them to make it,” he said.

“This city needs them as well. It is a football city.

“There is nothing better than to have both clubs going neck and neck, competing professionally on the field, and to have excitement between two sets of supporters going at each other in a good football way.

“Yes, I think they (United) should make it. I think they will make it. They have got enough quality there.

They’re a great club as well, and I wish them all the best.”

Unquote

I won,t tempt fate by adding to my post apart from repeating my best wishes for a much deserved promotion.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

I have said that I love would to see both Sheffield clubs to go up, they are certainly big enough clubs, but always wished for that automatic promotion spot. It was not to be.

So its off to Wembley and 90 minutes away from tears of joy or heartbreak.

We are desperately short of strikers though, I'm hoping that Cresswell will be fit for the game.

Ohh the pressure.........

I,m assuming you are in Thailand S H and haven,t seen this yet.

http://www.thestar.c...video-1-4553835

Thought this might cheer you up a bit prior to the play off final and start getting you in the mood for the big day.

P.S.

Re the nasty comments

Ignore the idiot minority who always seem to differ from the more reasonable supporters and like those on your side always want to try and cause unrest and incite trouble.

As with all forums and the multitude of subjects covered, as indeed Thai Visa,s annonymous posters, they conveniently hide behind their annonyminity and will do anything to spoil it for the majority of their members.

This is not the banter in local football I,ve always believed in and I dislike the nastiness that has now been attached to the game.

B T B makes a good case don,t you think in the the 13th comment

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

Thanks MB, not seen it and will look later when I get chance.

I,m in Singapore for the past 11 years or so, I have brought Thailand here (my wife).

I follow a forum for all news and views regarding the club and games, its far better than the official site. The comments and posters on there are very level headed and there is no abuse directed at anyone, which is a far cry from the state of the other forum out there.

There is too much nonsense between certain "levels" of supporters, but as I haven't really lived in Sheffield (and UK) since the mid 90's, I don't get involved.

Next Saturday can't come soon enough although its good chance for a couple of our key players to recover from injuries. It seems we are desperately short of firepower, I hope its not a repeat of the last time we were at Wembley when Burnley beat us to go up to the Prem in 2008.

We will see.................cheers !!

A West Riding derby at Wembley?

Only if the Sheffield team is mysteriously replaced by Leeds or Bradford's cocks yer barm-pot!

I don't think Babel fish does Yorkshire - so

Sheffield is in the South Riding, silly. (A cock is a good player)

Edited by SantiSuk

A West Riding derby at Wembley?

Only if the Sheffield team is mysteriously replaced by Leeds or Bradford's cocks yer barm-pot!

I don't think Babel fish does Yorkshire - so

Sheffield is in the South Riding, silly. (A cock is a good player)

Wikipedia: The West Riding encompassed 1,771,562 acres (7,169 km²) from Sheffield in the south to Sedbergh in the north and from Slaidburn in the west to Adlingfleet in the east. Abolished 1974.

Well, I'm only 38 years out of date! goof.gif But thanks for the update. wai.gif

Sheffield is now in South Yorkshire.

West Ham made it hard for themselves. They'll need to lift their game if they want to stay up.

And they're still not out of the woods financially. Heading in the right direction though.

WH Holding Limited have announced an operating profit of £6.8million in the club's latest set of accounts - but overall losses of £18.6million.

In the latest set of accounts, released today, WH Holding Limited - the parent company of West Ham United FC - confirmed the trading profit in the latest set of figures which cover the period from June 201 to May 2011.

However the club's overall losses (prior to taxation) equate to £18.57million - figures only sightly better than the previous year which saw the club record a loss of some £21million.

The club's level of debt to the banks is recorded as having dropped from £44.9million to £38million during that period, whilst the club's overall debt was reduced from £112.7million to £91.2million.