The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

No chance......

At least the family seem to not be bothered about doing an "about turn re an iconic signing" O'Driscolls record is up there with the best of the championship managers..Sven's is not.Let's hope they open the purse strings & get players in....proper players...not nondescript players from the likes of Northampton who just scrape in league 2 each year

Yes, quite a record, got promotion from the third division, via the play-offs, with Bournemouth, took Doncaster from League one to the Championship, again via the play-offs and has now been "head hunted" from mighty Crawley Town of League one.

He's going to be a busy boy too, as I understand it Florist have no first team defenders on their books after the sale of Gunter to Reading so he will have to start spending the Dinar pretty quickly.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O'Driscoll was probably not everyone's idea of whonshouldnhave got the job, but he's a savvy operator. The likes of Godel, Kean and Sven have not exactly been huge success and would command large wages. It might well be a very shrewd appointment. The Sheep's manager didn't exactly do that much in comparison to O'Driscoll either.

A bit quite on the forest front since o'driscoll was appointed "Iconic" manager ????? Couple of story's about x forest players coming back but no sign yet of all this money we are apparently rolling in now seems a bit strange that rednapp mc carthey hoddle and Darren fergerson all turned down the job after talks with the new owners I hope it's not going to be another notts county all hot air and no real money

A bit quite on the forest front since o'driscoll was appointed "Iconic" manager ????? Couple of story's about x forest players coming back but no sign yet of all this money we are apparently rolling in now seems a bit strange that rednapp mc carthey hoddle and Darren fergerson all turned down the job after talks with the new owners I hope it's not going to be another notts county all hot air and no real money

I hope it is.... 555

Daily Mail in UK reported

"Nottingham Forest’s new Kuwaiti owners plan to use the club as a gateway for young players from the Middle East. Sean O’Driscoll, appointed manager on Thursday, will concentrate on coaching while the Al-Hasawi family take control of all transfer policy. That will include bringing in players from Kuwait and the UAE for budget transfer fees and wages, news that will raise further alarm bells with Forest fans."

Since whe did the Daily Mai ever get anything right? They're part owner of the Nottingham Evening Post, the newspaper that ran with the headline "New owners to meet with Cotterill to give the go ahead for multi million pound transfer deals" (or words to that effect) before deleting the article two hours later to replace it with "Cotterill Sacked".

So far we've got in Adela Guedioura (or however you spell his name) who probably saved us last season and expected to announce the signing of Danny Collins (Stoke Centre Back) today or tomorrow. Not a bad start.

And the Arabs on trial are 'difficult to judge as they're not fully fit' according to SOD, so from what I can see we may see one of them sign, if we can get a work permit for him (the striker Al Mutawa, best striker in Asia aparently).

Meanwile, down the road at D*rby, best center back gone (Shackell), non-league Nigel desparate to find a replacement and ended up spending more than he received on relegated Coventry's Richard Keogh.

Here's to Forest back at the top of the East Midland's tree.

So far we've got in Adela Guedioura (or however you spell his name) who probably saved us last season and expected to announce the signing of Danny Collins (Stoke Centre Back) today or tomorrow. Not a bad start.

Stoke City forum response to news that Forest had signed Danny Collins for 500,000 on a three year contract

"500K?

That nett 2.25m was great money well spent wasn't it.

At least the useless fcuker seems to be gone at long last. They should be a marriage made in heaven. Fans who think their club is better than they are together with a footballer who feels pretty much the same about his own ability.

Good <deleted> riddance!"

Seems Danny made quite an impression on the Stoke fans then!

Agreed slightly worrying so far though o'driscoll is no mug and there's a fantastic team spirit now because he was the players choice

I still think forest will finish higher than than the sheep and that other east midlands club I forget there name now !!!!

Stoke City forum response to news that Forest had signed Danny Collins for 500,000 on a three year contract

"500K?

That nett 2.25m was great money well spent wasn't it.

At least the useless fcuker seems to be gone at long last. They should be a marriage made in heaven. Fans who think their club is better than they are together with a footballer who feels pretty much the same about his own ability.

Good <deleted> riddance!"

Seems Danny made quite an impression on the Stoke fans then!

He spent half of last season with West Ham and was decent at that level.

He also played for Ipswich against West Ham and was in a wining team.

"Nottingham Forest’s new Kuwaiti owners plan to use the club as a gateway for young players from the Middle East. Sean O’Driscoll, appointed manager on Thursday, will concentrate on coaching while the Al-Hasawi family take control of all transfer policy. That will include bringing in players from Kuwait and the UAE for budget transfer fees and wages, news that will raise further alarm bells with Forest fans."

Thaksin tried that at City but if memory serves, they couldn't get work permits. Can't remember the exact rules but it has something to do with being a regular player in a national team that is ranked. Maybe someone else can be more exact but I doubt very much that Notts Forest will secure the permits for Middle East players.

I certainly hope it's not Munto all over again. I wouldn't wish that experience on any club. I hope Forest have done all their due diligence carefully.

Why is everyone so down on it? We've signed two players, the owners are planning well putting in place a manager the players wanted. More players are on their way. Everything in th world is good!

True enough time to get behind the lads and give o'driscoll a chance after all he's better than Sven and rest of merry go round managers

What forest need now is stability after all the termoil with the Billy Davis sacking wally with the brolly fiasco and the death of doughty we need a manager who's down to earth I was a bit disappointed at first but now thinking it over I think we have made the right choice in o'driscoll

Thaksin tried that at City but if memory serves, they couldn't get work permits. Can't remember the exact rules but it has something to do with being a regular player in a national team that is ranked. Maybe someone else can be more exact but I doubt very much that Notts Forest will secure the permits for Middle East players.

Have to have played 80% of games in last two years, playing for a team ranked in the top 70, or something like that. There is a clause for exceptional talents,. Not sure where the ME teams are ranked, but they are far higher than Thailand.

Have to have played 80% of games in last two years, playing for a team ranked in the top 70, or something like that. There is a clause for exceptional talents,. Not sure where the ME teams are ranked, but they are far higher than Thailand.

Cheers Toady. Just done a search and Kuwait are currently ranked 93 (87 last month) and the UAE are ranked 116. Thailand are currently 135. Can't believe that Thailand are so far down, you should see some of the names above them. For a nation that loves football it's pretty cr4p really

In all fairness though Mr toad, Torquay look to have had a constructive pre season, got some , relatively, good money for some not

irreplaceable players,, perhaps you look even stronger?. Although pt has done well in the window Its really irritating when we constantly lose good footballers for no money. But watch out for gow and bauzza fuc knows what they are doin in the second div, they really are 2 good for it.

Cheers Toady. Just done a search and Kuwait are currently ranked 93 (87 last month) and the UAE are ranked 116. Thailand are currently 135. Can't believe that Thailand are so far down, you should see some of the names above them. For a nation that loves gambling on football it's pretty cr4p really

Edit: insert (bold above)

O'Driscoll seems to be able to bring in who he wants so far. Maybe there are one or two "gems" in the ME but have to be careful. I can't think the Al-Hasawi family think they could go down this road for transfers...I suppose if there's a few lads to look at they have the avenue to bring them in.

Anyway, are there any of us old football & beer night chaps still around. Last time I heard MrBJ was swanning around Saudi & Toady was doing his Tom Hanks impression on some island somewhere

If forest get into the prem can we have a forest thread 

You can have a Forest thread now if you want one. You just need a few Forest fans to keep it going.

I even had a Notts County thread three years ago when Munto had come in and it looked like an Arab-financed Golden Era was on its way. Mind you, there weren't many contributors other than me. I stopped posting to it when the Munto wheels fell off and Notts news came back to the Lower League thread.

Shame about the whole Munto nonsense I was genuinely happy for you when it looked like notts getting back among the big boys

I've always been a forest fan but like to see notts and Mansfield do well I think most forest fans feel the same Which might be unique among local rivals though I suspect notts fan might not share this togetherness

As for the sheep though that's a different matter

Shame about the whole Munto nonsense I was genuinely happy for you when it looked like notts getting back among the big boys

I've always been a forest fan but like to see notts and Mansfield do well I think most forest fans feel the same Which might be unique among local rivals though I suspect notts fan might not share this togetherness

As for the sheep though that's a different matter

Thank you. You may well be right. Being a Notts fan who last lived in Nottingham and saw the boys play over 50 years ago, I can only gauge Notts fans' sentiments via their forums. smile.png They seem to be a mixed bunch, but like most people, most of them are fair-minded enough when they need to be. When you follow a team that has the record for the most number of relegations it's a bit hard to be arrogant, but Notts fans stick by their team. thumbsup.gif

As a Forest fan, I quite liked Notts until the Munto fiasco when they kicked the rugby club out and the fans started off about being the biggest team in Nottingham, gloating with their (imaginary) millions, all just months after they'd been around the City Ground with buckets begging for cash...

As a Forest fan, I quite liked Notts until the Munto fiasco when they kicked the rugby club out and the fans started off about being the biggest team in Nottingham, gloating with their (imaginary) millions, all just months after they'd been around the City Ground with buckets begging for cash...

Yes, I expect there are some red faces among Notts fans following Munto. goof.gif

TBH though, I recollect a number of people on the Notts fan site acknowledging the generosity of Forest fans when County was in dire straits.

Generally, Notts fans don't have great expectations, so Munto raised hopes that were enough to unbalance a lot of them. I was quite fired up myself by the prospects Munto offered.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived