On Our 3rd Stamp And Want To Stay...

Hi All,

Thank you in advance for all your help and time in creating this most valuable resource. My partner and I have just gotten our 3rd entry stamp up in Mae Sot and were told we could not get another for 3 months. We are currently based in Chiang Mai and wanted to stay for at least another 6 months taking courses in Thai, Tefl and meditation... We were told by many that a tourist visa is our next step, but Vientienne is not the ideal place to acquire one. We heard that they are not giving multiple entry visas and the not happy about all the people trying to attain visas there. Someone suggested going to Yangon, where they may be more generous, and it is a place we have wanted to visit anyway. Is Penang a better option or would Yangon be ok? Also, it is of great importance to us to get the multiple entry because we have a family member visiting in November and we are planning our wedding for the islands in Febuary. Also, what kind of paperwork and requirements will we need? Is carrying 20,000 Baht each necessary? ANd should we fill out the forms before arriving, or get them at the office there?

Thank you again!!

M

Vientiane is currently one of the best places to obtain a tourist visa (single entry). Do not believe you will find any Consulate in the area willing to provide more than single entry. If you have serious learning ambitions you could obtain a non immigrant visa and perhaps an extension but six months to learn Thai, TEFL and Medication seems like a tasting session rather than study and don't believe will qualify.

At last report Rangoon was not a place to obtain any visa. Penang would be fine, or KL or Singapore.

Each Consulate has there own paperwork so best to fill out there. You will need current photos, fee and should have 20k (not often checked but could be). A ticket out of Thailand could be required at Consulate but to date none of those mentioned has required it.

and wanted to stay for at least another 6 months taking courses in Thai, Tefl and meditation...

It sounds as though you might qualify for an Education Visa.

Ask the school where you study Thai is they can issue a letter to support the application.

It sounds as though you might qualify for an Education Visa.

Ask the school where you study Thai is they can issue a letter to support the application.

We haven't started studying yet because we wanted to solidify our visa issues, but that is definitely something i will look into today, thank you.

Vientiane is currently one of the best places to obtain a tourist visa (single entry). Do not believe you will find any Consulate in the area willing to provide more than single entry.

This is a concern for us because we heard that there have been people that have not been issued another single entry or told they must wait a few months before re-entering the country. As we are planning our wedding for Febuary and have people flying in from the U.S. this would be a serious problem if we were not able to be here for january and febuary to prepare and attend our own wedding!!

Edited by mandmsworld

Vientiane is currently one of the best places to obtain a tourist visa (single entry). Do not believe you will find any Consulate in the area willing to provide more than single entry.

This is a concern for us because we heard that there have been people that have not been issued another single entry or told they must wait a few months before re-entering the country...

Yes, I can see your problem. Whom should you believe now? My advice is: believe Lopburi, he knows what he is talking about.

--

Maestro

This is a concern for us because we heard that there have been people that have not been issued another single entry or told they must wait a few months before re-entering the country...

Yes, I can see your problem. Whom should you believe now? My advice is: believe Lopburi, he knows what he is talking about.

--

Maestro

Seconded :o

Are the stories of not being able to renew a single entry visa true? or will it be likely that we won't have a problem.

Also, my wife to be is( also a US citizen) is considering applying for an NGO or teaching position. If she gets a job will they issue a visa for her spouse as well?

We have not seen any recent reports of being unable to obtain a new tourist visa. Normally before that happens they will advise you not to return to that Consulate. And these warnings have also been few and far between.

The NGO can not issue a visa - you/she would have to obtain with the paperwork they provide. You should be able to obtain a visa to visit your wife and if she obtains one year extensions of stay you would be able to obtain also.

The NGO can not issue a visa - you/she would have to obtain with the paperwork they provide. You should be able to obtain a visa to visit your wife and if she obtains one year extensions of stay you would be able to obtain also.

Thank you, again.

When you say a visa to visit your wife, are there restrictions on how long the visits are? do they coincide with the length of her staY?

We heard that they are not giving multiple entry visas and the not happy about all the people trying to attain visas there.
FWIW I had no problems obtaining a multiple-entry Tourist Visa when I visited Vientiane earlier last week. If you click here, you can read what actually happened. I hope this helps! :o