Are Farangs Who Marriages Failed Lucky?

bangkoksingapore

Are you an enlightened farang?   

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's a simple arithmetic to apply here.

If two people can't rub along together and mutually enhance each other's lives, it's a marriage in name only and a complete and utter sham.

It's a matter of record that in most marriages one or both parties make concessions instead of contributions.

The longevity and success of such a relationship then depends entirely on how much tolerance one or both parties is prepared to extend.

Should this thin balance be upset - bang goes another marriage.

If anybody wants to ask me how I know, here's the answer in advance - I've been there - have you?

I am sorry, but that arithmetic is not so simple. We have the socio-economic, cultural and linguistic/communication factors here, and that complicates matters incredibly. We, who are in such relationships, should be very aware of that, on not just brush it away under "but we are in love, and anyone who questions certain aspects of these sort of relationships is a bigot".

If you are surrounded by intelligent and educated people who ask these uncomfortable questions that were voiced here in this thread - you don't do yourself any service by simply attacking them from your defensive walls. People aren't stupid, you know?

A broken up long term relationship? No i have never been there, and i hope i won't ever be in this situation. Neither would i want to live in a delusional relationship, in which i am blind to realities because it is uncomfortable facing them.

So sorry, Colypat, didn't mean to offend.

I was merely tossing in a little logic, you see.

I'm so happy you're happy; this only underlines my line #2 which you and yours seem to be at least broadly observing.

My post was for the benefit of the people who seem to lack your balanced and unequivocal philosophy.

Congratulating ourselves in the expat typical mutual appreciation societies is not a very satisfying discussion, and as long as you ignore the particular socio-economical and cultural factors in these specific relationships, we will not get any further here.

I know why you come here, and what it means to you - you did once start a thread about it, and you had a point there. I wish though you would be as honest in your self reflection in this debate here, when things get a bit uncomfortable. If it's too uncomfortable - than just get out of the debate - i am not here to make you feel bad about yourself. But these potshots are not exactly contributing to the quality of the discussion.

Colypat, I belive you missed the hint of irony in my last post.

It's my personal style and what you take for potshots are in fact views aimed at the broader public.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If two people can't rub along together and mutually enhance each other's lives, it's a marriage in name only and a complete and utter sham.

It's a matter of record that in most marriages one or both parties make concessions instead of contributions.

The longevity and success of such a relationship then depends entirely on how much tolerance one or both parties is prepared to extend.

If anybody wants to ask me how I know, here's the answer in advance - I've been there - have you?

I am sorry, but that arithmetic is not so simple. We have the socio-economic, cultural and linguistic/communication factors here, and that complicates matters incredibly. We, who are in such relationships, should be very aware of that, on not just brush it away under "but we are in love, and anyone who questions certain aspects of these sort of relationships is a bigot".

If you are surrounded by intelligent and educated people who ask these uncomfortable questions that were voiced here in this thread - you don't do yourself any service by simply attacking them from your defensive walls. People aren't stupid, you know?

A broken up long term relationship? No i have never been there, and i hope i won't ever be in this situation. Neither would i want to live in a delusional relationship, in which i am blind to realities because it is uncomfortable facing them.

I'm so happy you're happy; this only underlines my line #2 which you and yours seem to be at least broadly observing.

My post was for the benefit of the people who seem to lack your balanced and unequivocal philosophy.

Congratulating ourselves in the expat typical mutual appreciation societies is not a very satisfying discussion, and as long as you ignore the particular socio-economical and cultural factors in these specific relationships, we will not get any further here.

I know why you come here, and what it means to you - you did once start a thread about it, and you had a point there. I wish though you would be as honest in your self reflection in this debate here, when things get a bit uncomfortable. If it's too uncomfortable - than just get out of the debate - i am not here to make you feel bad about yourself. But these potshots are not exactly contributing to the quality of the discussion.

It's my personal style and what you take for potshots are in fact views aimed at the broader public.

Really - you were ironic? Wow!

And yes, i noticed the tendency to pontificate in front of a broader public in your posts here in this thread, while consistently avoiding certain uncomfortable matters.

Uneven playing field?

Socio-economic and cultural issues?

Commuinication issues?

And additionally to those complex issues also huge difference in age?

mmmmmmmmmmmm ok age difference brigade how much is too much?? 10 years 15-20- 50????????
Given the choice over a 50 year 80 kilo woman and a 40 kilo 18 year old id take the 50 year old any day,. dosent ring true for some reason does it ? we are in thailand thank god, only in the west would the jealous bigots think its not right to have a younger partner,.i am glad i left most of them behind, although a few of them have crawled onto this forum..im 56 my wife of 7 years is 32 we get along great thankyou and f@uck all you that dont like it !

Well said. We are seeing the true colours of some of the posters here. :o

24 years difference between you and your wife? Dam.n site less than between my g/f and me.

Please excuse me now, I must go unchain her from the sink and chain her to the bed.

The real point is that what would be a statistically insignificant number of mis-matched age and socio-economic status couples back in falangland is turned, by all the middleaged men in LOS buying young flesh into a statistically significant number and on this board into perhaps the majority. Then the defenders of the mis-match try to rationalise into into some 'meeting of minds, love of the spheres, non verbal attraction, blend of experience and inexperience' Everything it is not. It's a statistical anomaly ...

Yes, RB hit it right on the nose as usual and this has been my point the whole time I've been on this forum. Thanks RB, and Dustoff for your posts; Meom - very funny :o

gotta go.

The real point is that what would be a statistically insignificant number of mis-matched age and socio-economic status couples back in falangland is turned, by all the middleaged men in LOS buying young flesh into a statistically significant number and on this board into perhaps the majority. Then the defenders of the mis-match try to rationalise into into some 'meeting of minds, love of the spheres, non verbal attraction, blend of experience and inexperience' Everything it is not. It's a statistical anomaly ...

I am now happy and proud to now be known as a 'statistical anomaly'. Thank you but sorry-no defense as I am too busy enjoying a great life. :o

Yes, RB hit it right on the nose as usual and this has been my point the whole time I've been on this forum. Thanks RB, and Dustoff for your posts; Meom - very funny :o

gotta go.

the problem with this analysis, is that it disregards that fact that these teenage girls and her parents are acting under their own freewill. If she and her parents wanted her to meet a man her own age, then she would, but neither her nor her parents do. She lusts after the older farang and seeks their seed and protection.

atleast this is my honest observation.

Yes, RB hit it right on the nose as usual and this has been my point the whole time I've been on this forum...

Sounds like a match made in heaven and I am finally catching on.

From now on whenever I want to get the straight poop on Thai-farang relationships, I will seek out 19-year old bonerfied philosophers who habitually hang out around pool tables in girlie-bars.

This thread cracks me up. :o

Other than the obvious sadness of your lives, of course...

Edited by Dustoff

With 'women' who act like ladettes, trying to out drink the men. 'Women' found lying in gutters with their knickers down around their ankles, totally p*ssed out of their skulls :D

'Women' with body jewellrey from clitoris to nasal hole and tattoos from assh*le to earhole acting so macho, causing fights, running round in gangs with knives and other weapons. 'Women' swearing, spewing their guts up and peeing in the streets :o

Ahhh, Western civilisation. Isn't it wonderful? :D

And people wonder why some of us like to come to Thailand for a bit of peace and quiet and for females who look and act like I would expect a female to be.!!

Yes, Thai women and men have their faults but nothing like their Western counterparts seem to have developed. OK we may lose a few £/$ or whatever to the gold diggers and rip off merchants. But we would lose that in the West also IMHO

Failed marriages? Seems like a totally failed society to me.

Really - you were ironic? Wow!

And yes, i noticed the tendency to pontificate in front of a broader public in your posts here in this thread, while consistently avoiding certain uncomfortable matters.

Uneven playing field?

Socio-economic and cultural issues?

Commuinication issues?

And additionally to those complex issues also huge difference in age?

CP, I would have discussed the matter further from my fairly neutral standpoint but it came down to a toss up between further pontification or accepting an invitation to dinner - sorry, you lost.

You would however do well to read what the broader public has posted here - it might give you a broader view.

Yes, RB hit it right on the nose as usual and this has been my point the whole time I've been on this forum...

Sounds like a match made in heaven and I am finally catching on.

From now on whenever I want to get the straight poop on Thai-farang relationships, I will seek out 19-year old bonerfied philosophers who habitually hang out around pool tables in girlie-bars.

This thread cracks me up. :o

Other than the obvious sadness of your lives, of course...

Glad to get your ringing endorsement of the soundness of my arguement. Always sad though to see someone who posed as somehow above it all and just contributing to a little understanding in the world to have to resort to name calling now. I think you have probably lost it Dustoff and should retire from the fray, its all getting too much for you. Take two young women (they are probably desperate for your seed after lusting after you..........see your fellow, Bangkokinsingapore, in the next straightjacket) and lie down until you feel better. Better go skydiving. You haven't mentioned it for a couple of hours and I wonder if you are quite well?

If a older man wants to and can afford to have a younger sports car ( his bussiness) only his and the young thia (girl sports car? up to him and her

If he takes care of her she takes care of him they both are happy who does it hurt

:o Conversely if a woman or a man prefers an older classic vintage sports car it is totally their own business so why would it bother anyone? It just appears that some people seem to get bent out of shape when an older guy drives around in a younger sports car. I am not sure whether it is jealousy or that they think they alone have all the answers to finding happiness and are just trying to share them with us! :D

*edited for typo

Edited by jetjock

Edited for: oh, why bother.

You should be more charitable to those less fortunate than yourself. Ok so you have brains, youth and charm but do you have that dogged determination that your opponents display? Like the brain dead zombies surrounding your cabin in the woods they keep shambling forward mumbling their war cry "You are jealous, you lust after my seed, I am the love God and gift to all the young women, Come come my lovely and sample my de-dentured delights..................You haven't known the heights of passion until you subside beneath the soft duvet of my belly and let me blow sweet, sweet beery fumes in your ear while you stoke my long, lank grey pubes into delicious kiss curls".

Just think what you are losing CG, your cut and their bludgeon of debate, your sharp thrust of wit and their dull thrumming until they repeat what they said before and before and before, again and again. Why, some of their words have been over two syllables, and involved sentences over six words. Of course you should be more tolerant. If not actually so old as to have had alzheimers and come through the other side they are certainly way, way beyond the first flush of youth. Most can only get out of bed with the aid of their young partner and a set of jump leads.

Because, like the goldfish, they have an incredibly short attention span the same arguments will be put over and over again. Bear in mind these men would be proud to bring home an octogenarian for their school girl daughter to woo and wed, wouldn't that just be in the fine tradition that Daddy started? Such men are the living dregs of society, washed up on the foreign shore of the blighted and benighted country that offers them the most whores in the shortest time with the least committment. Men who are the invisible grease that lubricates the wheels and cogs of commerce turn into kings full of munificence in their new-found paradise and for a few hours can live the life of a thai drunkard with a few baht in his hand. They are to be pitied. Full of platitudes, of untrue truisms and aphorisms they seek out their kind, that queasy oiliness that marks them out, rolling in the same waterhole and like the common unthinking beasts of the field, wallowing down for days on end, pausing only to soil some greasy bed with another despoiled and abused girl.

Or maybe I'm being uncharitable. Perhaps they are here on a mission to rescue the poor. To save the girls from themselves. I am sure they would say that, if they were capable of stringing the few words together

You should be more charitable to those less fortunate than yourself. Ok so you have brains, youth and charm but do you have that dogged determination that your opponents display? Like the brain dead zombies surrounding your cabin in the woods they keep shambling forward mumbling their war cry "You are jealous, you lust after my seed, I am the love God and gift to all the young women, Come come my lovely and sample my de-dentured delights..................You haven't known the heights of passion until you subside beneath the soft duvet of my belly and let me blow sweet, sweet beery fumes in your ear while you stoke my long, lank grey pubes into delicious kiss curls".

Just think what you are losing CG, your cut and their bludgeon of debate, your sharp thrust of wit and their dull thrumming until they repeat what they said before and before and before, again and again. Why, some of their words have been over two syllables, and involved sentences over six words. Of course you should be more tolerant. If not actually so old as to have had alzheimers and come through the other side they are certainly way, way beyond the first flush of youth. Most can only get out of bed with the aid of their young partner and a set of jump leads.

Because, like the goldfish, they have an incredibly short attention span the same arguments will be put over and over again. Bear in mind these men would be proud to bring home an octogenarian for their school girl daughter to woo and wed, wouldn't that just be in the fine tradition that Daddy started? Such men are the living dregs of society, washed up on the foreign shore of the blighted and benighted country that offers them the most whores in the shortest time with the least committment. Men who are the invisible grease that lubricates the wheels and cogs of commerce turn into kings full of munificence in their new-found paradise and for a few hours can live the life of a thai drunkard with a few baht in his hand. They are to be pitied. Full of platitudes, of untrue truisms and aphorisms they seek out their kind, that queasy oiliness that marks them out, rolling in the same waterhole and like the common unthinking beasts of the field, wallowing down for days on end, pausing only to soil some greasy bed with another despoiled and abused girl.

Or maybe I'm being uncharitable. Perhaps they are here on a mission to rescue the poor. To save the girls from themselves. I am sure they would say that, if they were capable of stringing the few words together

Have you been raped by an old man? :o

Why so much anger?

Are farangs who marriages failed in the West luckier than those who marriages were successful? You go out in Bangkok and you see a 55 year old guy dressed in beach attire riding the skytrain with his twenty-two year old wife, and then you see another set of farang 55 year old husband and wife and she looks like she weighs 80 kg. So doesnt this mean that the farang who drank too much and wrecked his marriage back home and escaped to Thailand is luckier than the farang who didnt drink too much and is still married?

I don't understand the 'enlightened farang' quiz question. Someone please translate. Until the BTS what?

can someone tell me the big difference between a 18 year old and 25 year old village girl? if a 27 year old girl can love a 60 year old man, why cant a 17 year old? your logic seems off here. either it is impossible for both of them to love him, or neither of them.

See? It proves what I said. No one dares to state the age difference! Coz once they say it they will show at once their stupidity and their illogicality. It will become obvious and they know it but still want to argue just because they feel it is wrong.

I bet RB is going to disappear from now on.

can someone tell me the big difference between a 18 year old and 25 year old village girl? if a 27 year old girl can love a 60 year old man, why cant a 17 year old? your logic seems off here. either it is impossible for both of them to love him, or neither of them.

See? It proves what I said. No one dares to state the age difference! Coz once they say it they will show at once their stupidity and their illogicality. It will become obvious and they know it but still want to argue just because they feel it is wrong.

When the age difference in a marital partnership approaches one generational difference (generally assumed as 20 - 25 years) then things turn a bit strange, when though there is an approximate two generation gap - it is just gross.

Citing "Love" is a bit of a simplification, considering that your side of the debate consistently refuses to address important contributing issues in the socio-economic and cultural field, lack of communication, etc.

These large amount of lopsided relationships between westerners and Thais are possible here not because a completely different capacity for "love" by the women - but because it is not a level playing field, and what would be anomalies in similar socio economical conditions (both in the west and here), are possible because of an extremely uneven playing field.

Also in Thailand it is an exception that between Thais of a similar socio-economical group form relationships, other than the ones based on materialistic reasons such as many Mia Noi/Mia Chao relationships, when there is a huge age difference. Why do you guys think that just because one partner is western/foreign - Thai women are so attracted to them even though there often is very little communication possible.

Are you so in denial that you can't see the obvious?

Hahahaha! All your posts kill me RB. This is pretty funny. I can picture the zombies! Are you sure you aren't a writer?

Yeah, it's great to be accused of being bigoted, ageist and prejudiced by old men dating young women. Who is more ageist -- a young woman dating young men, or an old man who wouldn't dream of dating an old woman his own age. :o

Yep, I reckon that's about it. Very eloquent. Really, I have nothing to say on this thread, you and colypat have said it all better than me.

Yeah, to hear them speak they're all one-man ngos for the poor, good-looking young women of issan. the old and ugly can fend for themselves. :D

When the age difference in a marital partnership approaches one generational difference (generally assumed as 20 - 25 years) then things turn a bit strange, when though there is an approximate two generation gap - it is just gross.

Citing "Love" is a bit of a simplification, considering that your side of the debate consistently refuses to address important contributing issues in the socio-economic and cultural field, lack of communication, etc.

These large amount of lopsided relationships between westerners and Thais are possible here not because a completely different capacity for "love" by the women - but because it is not a level playing field, and what would be anomalies in similar socio economical conditions (both in the west and here), are possible because of an extremely uneven playing field.

Also in Thailand it is an exception that between Thais of a similar socio-economical group form relationships, other than the ones based on materialistic reasons such as many Mia Noi/Mia Chao relationships, when there is a huge age difference. Why do you guys think that just because one partner is western/foreign - Thai women are so attracted to them even though there often is very little communication possible.

Are you so in denial that you can't see the obvious?

It is either 20 or it is 25, CP, please? You won't tell me 16-20 if I ask what age is adult, would you?

So why aren't there any laws prohibiting it?

Are people here saying all marriages are based on love? All? That simple? If not, what do we do? Go up to someone and tell him, hey! you ugly man! Did you use your money to get your wife? Was that because you had power? Was it a fair game? How can this world be 100% fair? Think of what you are wearing, it might be made in a factory where workers work 15 hrs a day for 200baht, how long does it take you to work for it? Look at the food you eat! How much money do you think farmers make? Fair? Are you taking advantage? You can live with it?

Just because indeed there are people taking advantage of the system(we all know and are not in denial) that EVERY case that a man a lot older than his partner becomes unacceptable? Even the woman genuinely is quite happy with her situation?(Of course she must think it would be even better if the man looked like Tom Cruise!)

Thai women are so attracted to them even though there often is very little communication possible.

Me and my wife lack communication. Is it any of your business?

Why not just admit this is about age? It is age discrimination? Save us some time so we don't have to argue?

It is about age, right? Not power!

I was quite suprised to see on several occasions, older western women in the company of young good looking Thai men. I thought " good for you" , although one I witnessed, was not treating her toyboy so well, bullying domineering attitude, I wonder if she was excersing her financial muscle ?

Interesting really.

Why not just admit this is about age? It is age discrimination? Save us some time so we don't have to argue?

It is about age, right? Not power!

I haven't commented on your relationship, i don't know you.

As to the rest of your rant, i am sorry, i have difficulties answering any point here, because, honestly, i don't really understand what you are on about. Maybe taking a breath before answering and trying to formulate your argumentation might help me understanding.

I was quite suprised to see on several occasions, older western women in the company of young good looking Thai men. I thought " good for you" , although one I witnessed, was not treating her toyboy so well, bullying domineering attitude, I wonder if she was excersing her financial muscle ?

Interesting really.

There are countries here in the region where this sort of female sex/relationship tourism happens far more systematically than in Thailand. And this can have some very ugly effects, often even uglier than male sextourism.

Several years ago i briefly worked in Nepal's mountains, where this is endemic. When we crossed a trecking route an American women asked us for help. She has hired a trecking guide, unknowingly from an agency that specializes more into the sort of "guides" that give a more complete service to the western and Japanese female clients. She went with him for 10 days into some less trecked regions, and was constantly harassed, on two occasions he even tried to rape her. We were the first westerners she has met in those 10 days, and broke down crying while asking us for help. She was absolutely terrified.

My translator/guide and my porters then got rid of her "guide", they had to threaten him, and we accompanied her to safety then.

That maybe has less to do with the age issue we seem to be stuck here, but more on the side-effects of such lopsided relationships in uneven playing fields of those underdeveloped and developing countries which become target of westerners on the search for something. And no, even though predominantly western men, also western women are part of that social phenomenon.

What i try to illustrate here, is that things are more complex than just "love" and a "meeting of souls", and if reduced to this, it is a simple denial of reality. There are more than a few serious studies available on all related subjects. I wish some here would bother reading and internalizing them.