Baht Buses -- Which Ones Go To Sukhumvit Road?

Trevor

For a tourist city the markings on Baht buses are truly appalling. Why couldn't they get their act together and put signs on the front stating the destination or circuit? True, there are crudely-stencilled 'routes' in small, hard-to-see Thai characters on the side. But they don't relate much to destination, for example a Jomtien bus might have the same 'Around Pattaya' route marked as one plying beach and second roads. What a mess! As if paying the b*stards 2-4 times a Thai's fare wasn't enough!

So when I want to get back to the Bangkok bus station from my hotel on second road, how do I know which will turn right (as I wish), and which turn left to beach road? Thanks.

If it was clearly marked, that would be a commitment. Why would they want to do that? Decreases the chances of a farang asking a question and possibly turning it into a "taxi" fare.

Plenty of people coming even with bad transport options, so why change?

Edited by Jingthing

Just point your finger in the direction you want to go ,in your case point right,if the batbus go to the left he will not stop.

..and then prepare to pay 100 Baht, as you just rented the bus :o

Just point your finger in the direction you want to go ,in your case point right,if the batbus go to the left he will not stop.

This works for other baht bus routes too. After exiting the Big C on 2nd Road I simply make a circular overhead motion in the counter-clockwise direction indicating I want to go down Beach Rd. When I was a Pattaya novice I unknowingly would walk down a soi to Beach Rd. and then caught the bus. I avoid any talking to the driver if as all possible.

Edited by ThaiBob

For a tourist city the markings on Baht buses are truly appalling. Why couldn't they get their act together and put signs on the front stating the destination or circuit? True, there are crudely-stencilled 'routes' in small, hard-to-see Thai characters on the side. But they don't relate much to destination, for example a Jomtien bus might have the same 'Around Pattaya' route marked as one plying beach and second roads. What a mess! As if paying the b*stards 2-4 times a Thai's fare wasn't enough!

So when I want to get back to the Bangkok bus station from my hotel on second road, how do I know which will turn right (as I wish), and which turn left to beach road? Thanks.

Even if you ask they may change their mind. Very few do turn right at dolphin round about. There seems to a small group that park at the corner to ply the trade up and down Pattaya Nua.

There are no unified makings on the tourist area busses. I've had them tell me they were going to Naklua and then decide to turn down the soi a block before the round about. :D Expect any variation you can imagine and a few others you did not expect too.

The other night I was coming down Pattaya Nua from the bus station, hailed several empty busses only to be told "mai me" when I said I wanted to go to the round about or Naklua. So they travelled off empty while I walked. :D (the pirate at the bus station wanted 200B to go to Naklua, normally 20B) The concept of service is alien to them.

Maybe we should get a group together and protest at the "Pattaya Bus Co-operative Ltd" between soi 17 and 17/1 Naklua. Get our pictures in the paper and targets put on our backs for the drivers. :o