Importing Whey Protein + Bodybuilding Supplements?

Well im thinking of starting a small shop selling Bodybuilding supplements such as Protein and everything else a gymfreak will need...is there anything i should know about importaton of Protein..there seems to be only a small amount of protein floating around the place and im wondering why? Would i have any complications by setting up a small shop for my thai wife, selling all this stuff? I hope someone can help me out with some advice.

P.s - if i placed this in the wrong forum please disregard.

Thanks in advance

J

Hi there

I hope I can help - I will just give you some suggestions on things to look into. I have traded internationally for several years, but I have always traded meat (poultry / pork) from North America / South America. Never these types of supplements.

A) Is there a TRQ (Tariff Rate Quota) for this item in Thailand? Essentially this means that is there an import quota on the total amount of product of this HS code (Harmonized Systems Code) or product that can enter the country? If so, how do you get the quota to import the product, how do you align yourself with an importer that has the quota? If you cannot import the product under the in-quota favourable duty rate, then what is the duty on the item and when you add the cost of the duty, how does it compare to domestic supply of product?

:o There should be a government body in Thailand that can assist you in what would be required for this item in terms of documentation / labelling. You will need your regular shipping documents, but may also require other documentation to accompany the load - ie. an inspection certificate, some sort of health certificate (as in any imported meat requires one signed off by the vet in the exporting country). As this is product going direct to retail/to the consumer, what are the labelling requirements? Do they have to be bilingual, Thai only, if Bilingual what are limits on size of English on the label? Look into this. For example, in Canada all product must adhere to very strict English/French labelling and it must be approved by the government before import to Canada.

C) Is the product origin acceptable to Thailand? You should check that say, for example, US produced protein powders are acceptable and are Australian origin protein powders accepted by the Thai authorities? For example on meat, certain countries are banned from trading with others. While this is generally "sanitary" concerns, it is still something to look into. There could be no restrictions whatsoever, but given it is going for human consumption, there will probably be more requirements than if you are importing something else.

Get a customs broker to help you with the documentation and a freight forwarder to help with the shipping. This will allow you to focus on the sales / marketing. There should be a decent amount of margin in this for you. Don't give all your info to your suppliers! If they see you have a good idea, then they may just decide to do it themselves!

I hope this was even remotely helpful. Good luck on your venture!

• 2 weeks later...
Well im thinking of starting a small shop selling Bodybuilding supplements such as Protein and everything else a gymfreak will need...is there anything i should know about importaton of Protein..there seems to be only a small amount of protein floating around the place and im wondering why? Would i have any complications by setting up a small shop for my thai wife, selling all this stuff? I hope someone can help me out with some advice.

P.s - if i placed this in the wrong forum please disregard.

Thanks in advance

J

Greetings...

Funny you should mention it.. I plan to visit Thailnd soon (Via NYC) and was wondering if I should bring a 5lb-10lb supply with me...

I am a true certified fitness freak... Personal Trainer/Bodybuilder... I have consulted many of the leading companies in the fitness business including formulating many Protein's for private label... Joe Weider organization.. etc ....

So.. If you need help hooking up distributors or and other advise (USA) .. please let me know... I love to see you succeed at it..

Regards and Good luck