Why Is It So..

7summers

Nattaya Anudit, who heads the Phuket Labor Department office, which oversees the registration of migrant workers from Burma, said that it would be hard to stage the concert by night as Burmese are not allowed to go out after 8 pm unless accompanied by their employer.

The regulation is just one of many imposed on Burmese workers in Phuket and other provinces with large numbers of migrant workers. Other rules forbid Burmese workers riding motorcycles and using mobile phones.

From Phuket gazette..

Ok... so... its not only us the white people.. But I think this is strange... Give me your thoughts...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sort of like the Mexicans in the US. We want to come and pick our fruit and veggies and do the hard work we don't want them to do, but we don't want them to live near us or have any kind of (social) life.

We badmouth them and treat them like low-lifes but as soon as we realize that we can't have fruit or vegetables at a good price if we kick them out, we just tolerate them.

Discrimination is a horrible thing and goes on all over the world.

I didn't realize they weren't allowed on a motorbike. So that's why they are always walking?

Be real glad that you were born where you where.

I think the discrimination against the Burmese is also related to historical events. The 'Thai' people were severely beaten on several occasions by the Burmese, eg at Ayutthaya.

Simon

That was rather a long time ago and has no place in a modern, educated society - oops silly me :o

I think the discrimination against the Burmese is also related to historical events. The 'Thai' people were severely beaten on several occasions by the Burmese, eg at Ayutthaya.

Simon

That was rather a long time ago and has no place in a modern, educated society - oops silly me :o

Yes, old memories die hard. The Koreans and Japansese, the Chinese and the Japanese ...

Yes, the poor Burmese are indeed treated disgracefully - and it's all quite open too.

It seems to stem from an inbuilt lack of trust, which seems itself to indeed stem from the sacking of Ayuthaya hundreds of years ago.

We were told at our school that some of the toilets would be out of bounds for some time.

I asked why.

The school said it was because they the Burmese builders would be using them whilst on site building a new school building.

I again asked why we couldnt use the toilets.

They said, "because they are Burmese"

I asked why again.....

they said, "because they are Burmese and full of diseases and things"

Even 'educated' people have this discriminatory gene which is completely unfounded.

I try to go out of my way and make eye contact with Burmese workers i happen across and say Hello.

Absolute xenophobia that they cant own a mobile phone, ride a motorcy or be out after 8pm.

I personally have known a few whose bosses withheld their ID cards - effectively keeping them in bonded labour.

Outrageous in the 21st century.

One would think this imposition of curfew would be against their human rights?

The word slavery comes to mind.

Overall, the US treatment of Mexicans is not nearly as bad. In fact, alot of Mexican culture is now embraced by much of the mainstream, the food, music, even some Mexican language and slang.

I still can't find one Burmese restaurant in Thailand.

When I was in Myanmar the food was awful. But anyway, I don't think rich Burmese are treated much differently than rich Indians or rich anyone else. It's more likely that the people are being looked down upon due their low income. Same in the US. I'm sure that the richest man in the world ( a Mexican) doesn't have any trouble getting a decent table at a posh restaurant. Money erases race. Lack of money accentuates it.

When I was in Myanmar the food was awful. But anyway, I don't think rich Burmese are treated much differently than rich Indians or rich anyone else. It's more likely that the people are being looked down upon due their low income. Same in the US. I'm sure that the richest man in the world ( a Mexican) doesn't have any trouble getting a decent table at a posh restaurant. Money erases race. Lack of money accentuates it.

You make a fair point although I never noticed a rich Burmese in Thailand, but certainly plenty of rich Indians.

A friend of mine travels to Burma alot and says good Burmese restaurants are rare in Rangoon, but they exist, and of course the real best way is the home cooking. There are some great Burmese restaurants in San Francisco and some of the dishes are very unique and quite wonderful. At least one such place would be very welcome in Bangkok although I guess the slave workers wouldn't be going there.

The 'Thai' people were severely beaten on several occasions by the Burmese,

eg at Ayutthaya..

a modern, educated society..

they said, "because they are Burmese and full of diseases and things"..

Yep, intrinsically racist and shameful behaviour. But, hey. Tonto, you’re not in Kansas now.

A modern, educated society? Yeah, right, but in their eyes (Thai) there is 'no popem' at all.

Would people still come here in the same masses if it were not for the women of Thailand, with the attitude it has towards any other race? Probably not.. :o

I try to go out of my way and make eye contact with Burmese workers i happen across and say Hello.

Good on ya Mark. :D

I wonder how many ThaiVisa members are living in 'luxury' residences built by Burmese "workers" who walked 'home' to a tin shack - void of running water or electricity - each night by 8pm to meet their "curfew". The same 'workers' are not allowed a mobile phone nor a motorbike.

I can't help thinking that Phuket is built on slavery these days. Correct me if I am wrong! :o

I wonder how many ThaiVisa members are living in 'luxury' residences built by Burmese "workers" who walked 'home' to a tin shack - void of running water or electricity - each night by 8pm to meet their "curfew". The same 'workers' are not allowed a mobile phone nor a motorbike.

I can't help thinking that Phuket is built on slavery these days. Correct me if I am wrong! :o

First of all.. Good responses here.. I was just a little bit dumbstruck about the article... And you are totally right.. Been to the kingdom on an off 25 times or so.. and it is just lately that I have pondered about it... There is no excuse for racism whatsoever...!

I asked a Thai male friend of mine about this.. He gave me an answer...

"Yes.. it is true.. Personally I dont mind them, but when it comes to driving... They really can not drive.. I mean.. NOT AT ALL. But I would suggest we had an option to let them take a quick test and show that they can. I dont like they way it is now.. The mobile phone rule is just crazy!" he said...He added that many Thai people of course cant drive either, but that it would be too scary to just let anybody from Burma out on the roads... Who knows.. He might be right...

Anyway.. Its kinda ######ed up in MY mind...Let alone the 8 o clock rule.. Sounds like a prison.. No wonder they drink whiskey all night long on construction sites.. What else is there to do for them?

Edited by 7summers

It's simply down to crime.

The Thai's think that very poor Burmese who come to work here for very low wages, are more likely to commit crime.

I think that's probably a fair assumption, for such a small part of the population there is certainly a lot of murders, especially in the area known as the Burmese cemetary.

The Thai's don't have to let them come down and work here, it's still taking jobs away from Thais.

It's better than being an illegal Alien, I'm sure.

Just the normal Thai Pecking orders.....White at the top being right....with the usual Bangkok Ts on top of their wee class system the .CM ers next..then followed by Centrals & Souths with the poor old Essarns-issans...bringing up the rear at the almost "untouchable" levels.... :D

......but then of course comes the khmers -poot LOS...."Ka-mens"...even further down the scales wiff the Burmese kept at a safe spitting distance...... :D

Not quite slavery but then we (the civilised west.. :o ..)only offically abolished it some 200 years ago so give the Thais a break.....un jour....yes.....one day....

The Thai's think that very poor Burmese who come to work here for very low wages, are more likely to commit crime.

I think that's probably a fair assumption, for such a small part of the population there is certainly a lot of murders, especially in the area known as the Burmese cemetary.

The Thai's don't have to let them come down and work here, it's still taking jobs away from Thais.

Why make excuses for shocking repression?

Do you think Thais would work for the same wages and conditions?

I was under the impression that lots (most?) of the Burmese workers are illegal and that adds to their extreme vulnerability. Info about that aspect would be informative.

I was under the impression that lots (most?) of the Burmese workers are illegal and that adds to their extreme vulnerability. Info about that aspect would be informative.

I guess we (English) were the same when we invited a lot of Caribbean folk to come to work in our country during the '50's for poor wages and in poor conditions, doing jobs 'our boys' didnt want to do.

However, i would like to think that generally, we saw the error of our ways. It isnt uncommon now, for example to see a coloured M.P. or a Head of school, or Policeman. I dont see that happening anytime soon in Thailand.

I dont know for a fact about how many illegals are here, though i would be very surprised if the construction workers wearing the company t-shirts and standing up in the back of lorries were illegal.

I noticed some of the people in Jungceylon (Patong) sweeping up and also working in the food court area clearing plates away were Burmese. I would be surprised if they were illegal.

Of course, there could be thousands more who are illegals. I'm sure some NGO's know, but i dont.

Crime, of course, is a problem, but then again, history has shown us that if you put people in a ghetto, treat them like <deleted> and pay them little, then they will commit crime. What have they got to lose?

Improvements take time, but can start with a mindset. And we have to start with stopping racist attitudes toward anyone.

I think most of the Burmese you see working on building projects are working here legally, albeit for lowish wages - but wages better than they can earn in Myanmar.

When I built my hotel last year, most of the workers were legal Burmese. This was our preference. It was not because their salaries were hugely cheaper than Thai workers. The simple fact was that our Thai workers were lazy and their workmanship was awful! Our Burmese workers produced relatively high quality workmanship! (Their floor and wall tiling skills were excellent...)

Simon

Well there's two ways to look at it, it's incredibly difficult for us to get work permits in this country, and actually impossible for us to get them for the work that the burmese do. They have a choice, at least Thailand makes it easy for them to be legal, albeit with a set of strict rules. To be fair the rules are probably less strict for them here than even in their home country.

asked a Thai

Yes.. it is true.. Personally I dont mind them, but when it comes to driving... They really can not drive..

Said of someone from a country which most Western countries and insurance companies warn people to even think about drive in. I still haven’t heard they warn tourists against Burmese workers!

:o

The Burmese construction workers near me are incredible - they work from dawn to dusk, and never seem to stop for an instant. Then a bowl of rice and a few hours sleep under a tin hut, all for 150 baht a day. They have my respect, admiration and pity in equal measure.

FF sake. This is Thailand.It belongs to the Thai!!!

I left the UK as many others have done because liberal( even communist) views have lead to the country being swamped with foreigners who have then become a drain on society.

Thank God for Thai nationalism - the last bastion of pride in ones own race aand preference for it.

The Burmese have the choice-they can always go back to Burma, and I personally wish that several whinging liberal farangs would also exercise that option.

This is Thailand---we live hereby choice so stop knocking it!!!!!!!!!!!

I left the UK as many others have done because liberal( even communist) views have lead to the country being swamped with foreigners who have then become a drain on society.

Thank God for Thai nationalism - the last bastion of pride in ones own race aand preference for it.

The Burmese have the choice-they can always go back to Burma, and I personally wish that several whinging liberal farangs would also exercise that option.

Couldn't have put it better myself :o

So what exactly has to happen for it to be OK to voice opinions about things happening in Thailand? Extra-judicial killings under Thaksin? If we were expats in Berlin in 1939, still not OK to comment? There was some grade A nationalism and race pride for you, boyo.

Edited by Jingthing

I bet you wish you were a Redcoat in the 2nd Afghan war.

Couldn't have put it better myself :o

I see the intellectuals have taken over the forum :D