No More Dependent Extension Of Stay If The Host Foreigner Has A Retirement Extension Of Stay Permit

I have no idea, PattayaParent, what raising a child in Pattaya is like. I spent my 47-56th years raising 4 kids in Houston, Texas. However, I know there may be many countries which are quite frankly better than Thailand, better to live in, about as cheap, almost as safe, far more welcoming to retirees and families with non-Thai children. But I'm often mistaken, so perhaps Thailand is the only Paradise on the earth.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am someone who will be affected by these new requirements in a couple of years when I will be 50 and my foreign wife nowhere near that age, we also have a 3 year old kid that will need full time schooling by then.

My plan was to get the Retirement Visa so my wife and daughter can get visas also and enable us to stay here. Now that plan might need to be amended a little but we have a fallback position with a property in my wife's country where my daughter could go to International School.

In that case I'd just rent out our flat here and come back to it for holidays, as I had planned to do with the otehr property.

Alternatively if I can still get her a Class O Visa then my wife can do border runs every 90 days, or just go home to visit family and get a new visa. (I'm assuming that my daughter would get an education visa.)

In any case I don't think there's any need to panic and plan to sell up and quit the country for other places which quite frankly are nowhere near as good to live as Thailand.

Ok; you can apply for your retirement extension with the 800,000 in the bank for 3 months.

Put your daughter in an offical school ( here in Phuket there are 2, (BIS is one) they will then give your kid a education visa and your wife can then apply for a 1 year extension to take care of her ( will need to leave every 3 months)

I have no idea, PattayaParent, what raising a child in Pattaya is like. I spent my 47-56th years raising 4 kids in Houston, Texas. However, I know there may be many countries which are quite frankly better than Thailand, better to live in, about as cheap, almost as safe, far more welcoming to retirees and families with non-Thai children. But I'm often mistaken, so perhaps Thailand is the only Paradise on the earth.

I've lived in or been to the majority of Asian and Middle East countries (excluding China and Yemen) and although Thailand is no Paradise I find it to be the best place in the region in which to live, Abu Dhabi would be a possible second choice but I would have to be working there as playing golf every day would be too expensive.

Ok; you can apply for your retirement extension with the 800,000 in the bank for 3 months.

Put your daughter in an offical school ( here in Phuket there are 2, (BIS is one) they will then give your kid a education visa and your wife can then apply for a 1 year extension to take care of her ( will need to leave every 3 months)

Sounds good to me, with a golfing trip to Soi Dao every 90 days when the wife does a visa run.

Sounds good to me, with a golfing trip to Soi Dao every 90 days when the wife does a visa run.

actually, that means no need to leave every 90 days

Correct. As the parent of a student here on an extended ED visa, you qualify to extend your visa too (which means no visa runs). Requirement: 500k baht in the bank for 3-months.

(See the Police Order found in one of the pinned messages at the top of this sub-forum.)

Correct. As the parent of a student here on an extended ED visa, you qualify to extend your visa too (which means no visa runs). Requirement: 500k baht in the bank for 3-months.

(See the Police Order found in one of the pinned messages at the top of this sub-forum.)

(Sorry, further off-topic maybe. But another - somewhat related - family issue) (Related: cf. 50 YEARS "paradigm" ;-)

And as the parent of a Thai student (in an official school only?), would you qualify to extend your visa too if you have 500k baht in the bank for 3 months??

I would then seriously consider revoking/cancelling the Thai nationality of my daughter in order to get her a NON-ED visa that will allow me, in turn, to support her/live with her here!

Currently *impossible* under the new regulations as a solo parent age below 50!

(I am the unmarried parent of a Thai "student" now 3.5 years old, same age as "Pattaya Parent"'s child).

After due deliberation, here is my new take on this whole situation.......................

The Thai authorities seem to be learning well from the Western ones !!!!!

"Let's leak (to a source thats trusted by those we plan to impose these rules on) what we plan to enforce, but add a few more embelishments that would be nice to get through, but not essential to our aims. When and if we remove them from the package, we will be seen to be both listening to and acting on the feedback in a positive way. We will, therefore be in a win-win situation.....we get what we wanted, and those that we impose these rules on will see us as good guys!"

Penkoprod

After due deliberation, here is my new take on this whole situation.......................

The Thai authorities seem to be learning well from the Western ones !!!!!

"Let's leak (to a source thats trusted by those we plan to impose these rules on) what we plan to enforce, but add a few more embelishments that would be nice to get through, but not essential to our aims. When and if we remove them from the package, we will be seen to be both listening to and acting on the feedback in a positive way. We will, therefore be in a win-win situation.....we get what we wanted, and those that we impose these rules on will see us as good guys!"

Penkoprod

You could well be correct AND Sunbeltasia said itself it suspected it on occasions is given early information as a barometer for peoples reactions.

If the West is anything to go by. Those desired measures not imposed this time around will be much more readily received 2nd time around by a softened up public already gauged, pre-warned and expecting such a move at some time in the future

I have always felt (as many do) the Chancellors of the Exchequer in the UK often do this sort of ploy as do many Governments.

Leak a much a harsher than "intended to be introduced" measure. Scare the shit out of the public. Then when the watered down (always intended measure) is introduced, the people accept it quietly as inevitable and are relieved it is not the leaked version.

Clever tactic and regretfully works all too often.

Regards, Dave

"Kite Flying", as this practice is known, is common with governments and public companies the World over. The fact that the Bangkok office is the only one that seems to know about this gives some support the the theory that this is a "Kite Flying" exercise. What gives cause for concern is that Immigration seems to be actually applying this new procedure in practice in Bangkok. This does not normally happen in "Kite Flying" cases.

Time will tell!

So this means that my wife has to have 500k in a bank account? and not rely on my 800k?

Also am I correct in thinking that the money (my 800k and her 500k if required) would have to be in separate bank accounts in our own names, not a joint account?

So this means that my wife has to have 500k in a bank account? and not rely on my 800k?

Also am I correct in thinking that the money (my 800k and her 500k if required) would have to be in separate bank accounts in our own names, not a joint account?

Yes and yes (to be safe/sure).

Thanks Lopburi, I'd better get the accounts opened now then 'cos when I opened the joint one the bank wanted my Work Permit.

Yes, I know a WP is not required to open a bank account but they didn't and as I have one it was no problem. Might just open the 2 individual accounts in 2 different banks as well.

Hello everyone.

My wife and I are now in KL,Malaysia checking on the facts about relocating to Malaysia under their "Second Home" program. We went to the gov. agency that handles this program and a few things have changed. I heard this from the horses' mouth...there is no limit on the amount of properties you are allowed to buy, but your properties must be over RM 250,000 (about USD 72,000).

We are still trying to decide if (althought we might have no choice)we want to leave Thailand, but I can tell you that from the houses and apartments we have viewed KL is a lot better than (and cleaner) Thailand.

Hello everyone.

My wife and I are now in KL,Malaysia checking on the facts about relocating to Malaysia under their "Second Home" program. We went to the gov. agency that handles this program and a few things have changed. I heard this from the horses' mouth...there is no limit on the amount of properties you are allowed to buy, but your properties must be over RM 250,000 (about USD 72,000).

We are still trying to decide if (althought we might have no choice)we want to leave Thailand, but I can tell you that from the houses and apartments we have viewed KL is a lot better than (and cleaner) Thailand.

Interesting...we just did a "fact-finding" recce to Malaysia, too: Penang and KL.

Yes, you can own more than one property (worth 250,000MYR or more nett). I met an Australian couple who have just bought another three in addition to the restored property they have in Penang.

For anyone else considering the move, here are a few personal observations, not "facts". The positives I noted are:

Rental accommodation, food, services are all just slightly more expensive than in Thailand (probably about 5%). Most people, regardless of ethnicity, speak at least some English. You can buy excellent coffee though at western prices. There appears to be more logical planning for industry, urban extensions etc....the provisions of MM2H are a good example of this. Transport systems are integrated and excellent and internet servcices are very fast. The country is technologically sophisticated. Traffic is orderly and predictable.

Negatives:

food is mainly Indian or Chinese. Thai food is so much more multi-dimensional and interesting IMHO. Movies, news stories seem to uphold particular religious and nationalist values to the point of being overtly propagandist. The two-tier pricing system is applied ruthlessly (nothing new there except the discrepancy seems bigger than in Thailand). Somehow the logic, the cleanliness, the order, the clinical qualities are rather boring after the little surprises Thailand springs.

Decision:

none yet. Initial financial requirements for retirement are not too different between Thailand (800,000 baht for farang couple retired...apparently) and Malaysia (150,000 MYR invested for a year before any withdrawal can be made for approved purposes). Both countries offer lousy interest rates on fixed deposits, so there is no incentive to invest long-term. Any decision we make will be on the basis of which government (if either) offers us greater security in terms of "residence". So far, Malaysia wins on that score, with its renewable 10 year, multiple entry "visit pass"...which is the same thing as a visa.

Negatives:

food is mainly Indian or Chinese. Thai food is so much more multi-dimensional and interesting IMHO. Movies, news stories seem to uphold particular religious and nationalist values to the point of being overtly propagandist. The two-tier pricing system is applied ruthlessly

"Negatives: food is mainly Indian or Chinese" - I'd call that a positive! :o

"The two-tier pricing system is applied ruthlessly" - what a pity.

Hello everyone.

Interesting...we just did a "fact-finding" recce to Malaysia, too: Penang and KL.

Yes, you can own more than one property (worth 250,000MYR or more nett). I met an Australian couple who have just bought another three in addition to the restored property they have in Penang.

For anyone else considering the move, here are a few personal observations, not "facts". The positives I noted are:

Rental accommodation, food, services are all just slightly more expensive than in Thailand (probably about 5%). Most people, regardless of ethnicity, speak at least some English. You can buy excellent coffee though at western prices. There appears to be more logical planning for industry, urban extensions etc....the provisions of MM2H are a good example of this. Transport systems are integrated and excellent and internet servcices are very fast. The country is technologically sophisticated. Traffic is orderly and predictable.

Negatives:

food is mainly Indian or Chinese. Thai food is so much more multi-dimensional and interesting IMHO. Movies, news stories seem to uphold particular religious and nationalist values to the point of being overtly propagandist. The two-tier pricing system is applied ruthlessly (nothing new there except the discrepancy seems bigger than in Thailand). Somehow the logic, the cleanliness, the order, the clinical qualities are rather boring after the little surprises Thailand springs.

Decision:

none yet. Initial financial requirements for retirement are not too different between Thailand (800,000 baht for farang couple retired...apparently) and Malaysia (150,000 MYR invested for a year before any withdrawal can be made for approved purposes). Both countries offer lousy interest rates on fixed deposits, so there is no incentive to invest long-term. Any decision we make will be on the basis of which government (if either) offers us greater security in terms of "residence". So far, Malaysia wins on that score, with its renewable 10 year, multiple entry "visit pass"...which is the same thing as a visa.

So far, Malaysia wins on that score, with its renewable 10 year, multiple entry "visit pass"...which is the same thing as a visa.

A massive plus for those already retired and unable to cope with the instability of a one year ,( shall we change it or not system) We love Thailand and have invested a lot of time and money, have many friends, mainly Thai , support local charities and orphanages at our lowly level of monetry assistance.

We are pending on our final decision on which route we will take, house sale is a definite in the not too distant future with a few to having funds more liquid. We will take it from there.

Some fifteen years ago, my late wife and I were going back to the UK at the end of my contract in Singapore.

We were concerned that her arthritis might get bad in the UK, so we took visits to possible retirement locations in the tropics.

From what we found, unless things have changed a lot, "Somehow the logic, the cleanliness, the order, the clinical qualities are rather boring after the little surprises Thailand springs", is a masterful understatement.

Just curious. What type and standard of property is commonly available for 250,000 myr? Does it appear likely to increase or decrease in value?

all depends on location. in KL it will buy a shack.

Shack in KL for 250k myr

http://www.iproperty.com.my/property/listing.asp?pid=42261

WITH:

Facilities: Barbecue Area, Club House, Covered Parking, Gymnasium, Playground, Salon, Sauna, Swimming Pool, Tennis Court, 24hr Security

Edited by Thailand

I don't think Thais are especially racist or zenophobic in general. I have plenty of Thai friends who aren't. But I do know that a thousand years of fighting for your independence against the Burmese, Cambodians, Japanese and whoever else has created a degree of wariness of people, until they decide they're not a problem. This is particularly obvious in the miitary, which is understandable.

Fighting the Japanese? :o:D :D After receiving from Japan that part of present day Cambodia west of the Mekhong as a sop to mute any objection to the Japanese presence there, and probably to ensure that no new fortifications within Thailand were constructed, Thailand immediately capitulated when the Japanese did cross the border. The only resistance of note was by Air Force personnel in Prachub Khiri Khan who apparently didn't receive the order to surrender immediately. I believe that Thailand made an official declaration of war - and it wasn't against the Sons of Nippon.

Thailand was designated as a hostile combatant in WW2 and were forced to make reparations on it's conclusion. I acknowledge that there was a small resistance movement in Thailand but doubt that they caused Japan any great inconvenience.

I consider most Oriental peoples to harbour xenophobic tendencies but as a Brit, I can hardly complain about that.

" I believe that Thailand made an official declaration of war - and it wasn't against the Sons of Nippon."

The Thai Ambassador in London did what he felt was his duty, and served the Declaration upon the Court of St James.

The Thai Ambassador in Washington did what he felt was his duty (which was NOT to pass on a Declaration that he felt had been extracted under duress) and shoved it back in his In-tray and left it there.

So the Brits had war declared on them by Thailand; but their allies, the Yanks, didn't.

In 1945, Mountbatten was Commander of the South East Asian Command (though it was generally thought that SEACO stood for Save England's Asian COlonies) and took the surrender in Bangkok, whilst the Yanks kept a low profile.

In 1945, the Brits had aspirations to take over Thailand whilst it was weak, and add it to next-door Burma, but they were too skint and the aspiration expired.

For retired couple having Both more than 50

The man put the 800k on his account for 3 months then he asks and get the Visa.

During that time his wife get a double entry Tourist Visa ( 60+30 2 times)

Then he wires the money to his wife account and she asks and get the visa afetr 90 days.

Easy no??

A little bit complicated but doable and not cheating only following the law.

Or he put the 800K in a blocked account asking a 800K credit to his bank guaranteed by the 800K ( i dont know if this is possible here?) and then he put these 800k in his spouse account.

And dont tell me i am a cheater i am just thinking and am under 50 :o

For retired couple having Both more than 50

The man put the 800k on his account for 3 months then he asks and get the Visa.

During that time his wife get a double entry Tourist Visa ( 60+30 2 times)

Then he wires the money to his wife account and she asks and get the visa afetr 90 days.

Easy no??

Both applicants have to show evidence that the 800k came from abroad. Therefore, your procedure would have to be as follows:

From foreign account remit to husband’s Thai account --> wait 3 months --> husband applies for extension --> remit to foreign account --> remit to wife’s Thai account --> wait 3 months --> wife applies for extension.

For subsequent extensions, the same procedure will apply for the amount needed to bring the balance in the Thai accounts again to minimum 800k.

Good business for the banks.

--

Maestro