Baht Bus Fare - The Real Story

jinjok

i decided to open a new thread becasue this is the definitive answer and i did not want it to be lost in the related thread.

today i had to go to pattaya mem for a BP check up. normally i walk EVERYWHERE, i loathe songtaews and think the drivers are about the worst representation of thai manners i have ever seen. today was the worst. i 'had' to take the bus (500m mind you) so as to not increase my blood pressure before the chkup.

the price is b5 everywhere save for: dolphin to sukhumvhit, nakula, over jomtien, pattaya tai north late night. those are b10

so i gave the guy b5 and he blew up (and so did my blood pressure). i should have gave him b10 so as to not cause the conflict - but being here 10 yrs and paying this, its just natural.

edit: i told the guy IN THAI > thai's pay five baht, farangs pay five baht -same

the guy repeatedly tried to run me over and then chased me up to (but not into) the hospital. he circled the hospital numerous times with his shrew of a wife in tow.

i called the police and reported that the man attempted to murder me with his vehicle and is now stalking me.

THAI POLICE WORTHLESS FOR FARANG: she stated that if i wanted to take action i had to file a complaint - sound familiar?? if a thai was raped, cracked skull, knifed ... do they have to file a complaint?? no. but i digress.

the woman on the phone CONFIRMED THE DOUBLE PRICING STANDARD. thai pay 5 farang pay 10. i said im here at the hospital - we pay the same. we alsopay the same at the airport, the restaurant, the barber, the cinema... she was speechless - but murmured - but not at the aquarium na. WORTHLESS.

there can be no double pricing FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORT - PERIOD. this is racism pure and simple and to prove this my friends daughter who is thai holding french pp pays 5.

as stated prior - we all know why they do not post the price which is further insulting. it appears they will attept to kill you for paying LESS than 10 - but aer quit ehappy to take MORE than ten from you. in the end - they are <deleted> thieves and i am so sick of this crap and pattaya bs and crime in general i may write to the travel agencies and the iata.

thai police support racist double pricing fully. 100% fact.

and btw - the next time someone tries to kill you - go file a complaint!

the price is 10 - period. i stand corrected as racist this policy, 'law' - whatever is...

Edited by jinjok

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Life is much too short to get worked up about 5 Baht - principle or no principle.

You'll only get killed by the driver or have a heart attack due to high blood pressure.

Is it really worth it?

You've been here a long time so you know how things go in this fair land.

These days, on the rare occasions I take a Baht bus, I usually give them 20 Baht.

So blame me for pushing up the fares :o

Edited by Mobi

from what i see the thai lady will pay double so not to lose face and start trouble. often i see them give 20 EACH. there is a secret 'feeling' among thais they all help one another at this level.

for instance ... if you are on the beach and youre eating and drinking alot youll get overcharged. she will take you back to the same place for the time th efarang is in town. after a week or whatever she will come back an dcollect a cut.

tropo: to your point about race/skin color on the other thread. color of skin color does not denote race and only minorly ethnicity. there are three races in this world: caucasian, asian, black (negroid).

ps: hey mobi - its becasue ive been here a long time i dont want to put up with the crap. but like i say - i never take the mafia buses.

speaks as much to the cops as it does to the songtaews though.

Edited by jinjok

Its not really worth the hassle of arguing is it ?

The tuk tuk drivers in bangkok are much worse

- they always ask 50 baht to go anywhere at night

wheras the flagfall in an aircon taxi is only 35 baht

- i can never work that one out :o

Anyway I think we do pretty well in Pattaya for 10 baht :D

For many years there has been a official notice in English stating the official fare "10 Baht" regardless of distance, and a matrix guide for private charter.

But there again for many years Pattaya seems to have had more than it's fair share of "Cheap Charlie's".

BB

I agree with the OP, though I usually pay the racist farang price as I consider the extra 5 baht as payment to avoid being violently assaulted by thuggish baht bus drivers. It is worth it to me, but of course you are correct, the correct fare was 5 baht, and this is institutionalized racism and enforcement by intimidation in action. Thanks for showing a real case of what I know to be the real, dark situation.

Some people say the baht bus collective isn't a MAFIA. When you are forced to pay protection money to avoid being beat up to a class of people, what exactly would you call them?

Edited by Jingthing

So the official World Fare for.. ALL is 10 Bt apart from Thais who are poor 3rd World downtrodden state controlled prolls ...including their Millionaires,Generals,Polliticans,Pol-lice who only have to "offer" ha bt ( 5 )...well named....Ha Ha Bt for this wonderfull 20th Centuary experience........Gawd "elp "em........ :D

Time to back...or is it Forward to "Bullock Carts " :o

For many years there has been a official notice in English stating the official fare "10 Baht" regardless of distance, and a matrix guide for private charter.

But there again for many years Pattaya seems to have had more than it's fair share of "Cheap Charlie's".

BB

Can you please  post a copy of this so called Official notice stating the official 10 baht fare.

:o

BB

Can you please  post a copy of this so called Official notice stating the official 10 baht fare.

I too have seen this notice - but the drivers get round the issue by just charging half for Thai travellers !

Ok now i get it, Thats the one that is stuck over the one that says 5 baht.

Dont suppose you know Pattaya very well.!!!!

lol! OK well I studied at the long hair dictionary school (ruujak mai krap?) and can read the sign ok, so I guess I can speak thai pretty well, as for knowing Pattaya very well, hmm you got me, not sure I would want to know it very well, but its ok for a night out on the lash once in a blue moon (ladyboys arse? :o )

:D

BB

I'm still waiting for someone to post some hard evidence to prove the correct price is 5 baht. Until then, I'm going to assume the correct price is 10 baht.

In the meanwhile, I Googled around and came across this well written article about baht buses in Pattaya with some advice on how to pay 5 baht and get away with it (mostly):

All about Baht Buses

Edited by tropo

the price is b5 everywhere save for: dolphin to sukhumvhit, nakula, over jomtien, pattaya tai north late night. those are b10

A ride along Beach Road terminating at/close to Walking Street also has drivers insisting on 10 baht.

Otherwise from my experience 5 baht is not problematic for a falang in central Pattaya who acts like he knows what he's doing.

Can you please post a copy of this official document then

Have a nice day

Nope. I am 6,000 miles away, but i first saw the notice 5 years ago and have adhered to the sip baht ever since.

Are we in danger of over-doing this subject yet again ?

I've paid 5bht and also 10bht - depends on how I feel. However at the end of the day, its such small dosh I can't grumble either way. :D

Seriously doubt a bhat bus is going to chase you for just 5bht. :o

It costs two US dollars, about 70 Baht just to get on a bus in New York City. It's the same fare if you go one stop or twenty. Some people do get discounts, students and the elderly, and it doesn't matter if they are millionaires or on welfare. The discount is based on their age and status.

And you're complaining about 5 Baht?????

Get real.

If it pains you to pay five baht more than a Thai, go home. While you're there, compare the hospital costs to those at BPH.

The reason farangs have it so good here is because Thai people work for a whole lot less.

I've paid 5bht and also 10bht - depends on how I feel. However at the end of the day, its such small dosh I can't grumble either way. :D

It costs two US dollars, about 70 Baht just to get on a bus in New York City. It's the same fare if you go one stop or twenty. Some people do get discounts, students and the elderly, and it doesn't matter if they are millionaires or on welfare. The discount is based on their age and status.

Get real.

If it pains you to pay five baht more than a Thai, go home. While you're there, compare the hospital costs to those at BPH.

The reason farangs have it so good here is because Thai people work for a whole lot less.

And why are you telling me this, oh informed septic? :D BTW I'm not whinging I love the baht bus. :D

Get real.

And why are you telling me this, oh informed septic? :D BTW I'm not whinging I love the baht bus. :D

Sorry. Not meant for you. It's aimed at the initiator of this sorry thread.

Get real.

Sorry. Not meant for you. It's aimed at the initiator of this sorry thread.

:D

I've lived in Pattaya for a few years and I'll add my observations.

From when I arrived up to about 1 1/2 or 2 years ago, there seemed to be just a few too many baht buses but they went about their routes with some aggression and trying to get more than the normal price wherever possible. If you wanted to hire one, it was "Bt100". It didn't matter if Bt100 was $2 or $20 or 20c, it was a "round" number. However, if you knew your way around and could even just count in Thai, you could most times get a reasonable deal unless raining.

Fast forward to the last couple of years. They don't want to do the routes. They want the private hires. They will try and chuck you off and still charge you if someone else wants to private hire the already half full bus. The Russians and their ilk are the worst offenders and many times I'd argued with them as if to say "cannot you see this bus is already in operation you gormless stupid git ?".

Now from Walking Street up to 2nd Road they park up, illegally and then again after the turn left into 2nd Road. Arguments are made that there are too many and that is true for sure but even with too many, they must be making a decent living or they would not do it. So lets look at the economics.

In Bangkok, you hire a taxi for Bt500 for 12 hours and you drive it around. Then another guy hires it for the other 12 hours. The owner gets his Bt1000 per day, paying about half that in finance costs. Your baht bus driver is driving a basic Isuzu with a metal cage on the back. Costs way less than a Toyota Altis. Repayments about Bt300 per day. For sure, the mafia are in there taking some money, how much I do not know.

So you get your bus and drive from jomtien to Naklua. On the way, you may get lucky and perhaps 20 people get on and off giving you Bt10 each. Some fools will pay more and some Thais will give you Bt5 for a short trip. However, more and more Thais are now paying Bt10 than even 2 or 3 years ago. How do I know ? Because I see it with my own eyes. So on that trip you take Bt200 and it takes you about 30 minutes to Dolphin roundabout. Your trip back is less rewarding until you get half way along Beach Road. By the time you get to Walking Street you have got only perhaps Bt50 to Bt100. You decide to go back to Jomtien and garner another Bt50 on the way.

Your total turn around time is likely to be 90 minutes. Less if less people, more if more. So on an hourly basis, you've probably made Bt200 to 300 and that is without private hires and without "tips" or drunks giving you Bt1000 instead of Bt20 ! If you work say 9 hours a day, you take about Bt1500 to Bt2000. Your diesel is likely a couple of hundred baht maximum so you have cleared Bt1200 to Bt1700 or so. Lets average it at Bt1500 or Bt9000 for a 6 day week. Strip out your rental costs if any and your mafia payment and you still have a good living doing the job as it should be done.

Add in private hires, people overpaying etc. and you could see these guys making a couple of thousand dollars a month, in Thailand !

If you hire a bus, you can do so for about Bt200 an hour without much negotiation, less if you know what you are doing.

Now there are a million variables I have not factored in there but the reality is that it is an easy living which they do not want to give up. So much so in fact that they refuse to remove the shoddy old buses nor restrict the number of buses, whatever City Hall says.

ON the same subject, go and ask Carrefour, Tesco and all the other mall type places why they allow (profit !) those thugs with the small unlicensed buses with drop backs to charge Bt150 from BigC to Thappraya Road ? and they allow them to stick up big signs which state the fares. Who controls these fares. No-one I think is the right answer.

As to Bt5 or Bt10, I pay Bt10 but I go long journeys and short journeys so I figure it sort of balances out. I have been given Bt15 change from a Bt20 note before without asking. I have had one try to drive away with my hand in the window waiting for my Bt10 change adn I had one driver's fishwife ask my girlfriend for Bt60 when paying Bt20 for both of us rfom Walking Street to Soi 4 2nd Road. Finding a good one is getting harder and harder.

The last time I was in Pattaya I was with a Thai lady friend from Bangkok and when I went to pay I gave him 15baht. The driver got all bent out of shape and said he wanted 20 baht. I said 10 baht for farang 5 baht for thai lady. At that point he looked like he wanted to kill me and said 5 baht is for baby. I argued with him a bit but he looked like he was going to get violent so I just smiled at him and gave him the extra 5 baht. Its amazing how mad he got over a measly 5 baht I figured it was better just to pay it instead of getting beat over the head.

Just pay 10 baht whatever the length of trip.

Avoid giving the crazy psychopath baht bus drivers (men & women) a reason to stab you or shoot you.

Even my Mrs. is fearful of paying just 5 baht in Pattaya.

10 Baht is still great value. Just accept it. If some people get away with 5 baht...good luck to them.

Bt 10 is good value ? On which planet ?

The minimum wage in the UK is probably around GBP6 per hour so GBP 60 for a full days work. In Thailand it is about Bt150. So to get in the back of an uninsured truck and sit on a bench, to be driven at breakneck speed by a yabba induced driver with suicidal tendencies for a mere 500m costs about 7% of the daily wage which equates to about GBP 4.

Prey tell me where you buy the same rubbish transport in the UK period and then where you go only 500m for 7% of the daily wage ?

It is called a baht bus beacuse it used to cost a baht. Yes, one baht.