Long Stay Options For Under 50's

Firstly apologies, as I'm sure this question MUST have been asked many times already, but I've looked at the first 6-8 of the 590 pages and couldn't find a difinitive answer.

I'm 47, from UK, currently visiting for <90 days each visit using a multi-entry non-imm "O" visa, obtained painlessly from Hull last year.

I'm considering "retiring" and enjoying a life of leisure here in LOS.

I have savings and investments, but no "income" as such (or pension). I use a Nationwide cash card to withdraw funds as I need them, as it's much more effecient than transferring sterling from my UK bank to my Thai bank. I am not married (long term girlfriend, but neither of us wants to commit further, who does not work so has no income herself), and have no other dependants (that I'm aware of :o ). I have no intention of "working" or formally studying here, so work permit and ED visa's are not options.

So what are my long stay visa options?

Do I need to show evidence of 800k in my thai bank (or is that just for the over 50's only)?

Do I need to show 40k (or whatever) per month "income" from UK, and would cash withdrawl slips from ATM's be adequate for this?

At worst I am assuming I can simply renew my m-e non-imm "O" (when in UK) and do overland visa runs every 90 days, and then one trip to the UK each 15 months, until I'm 50?

Or is there a possibility of extending it to a one year (with 90 day reporting) whilst in T/L, and at least cut down on the border runs?

I'm sure there must be many others in this same situation. I look forward to hearing your views and solutions.....

Cheers,

Steve

Your almost there Steve. The 800k or 65k a month is for when your over 50 yrs old and trying to qualify for the retirement Non Imm O visa.

Your choices as I see them are

Keep returning to the UK and getting 1 year Non Imm Visa's as long as they will issue them. If you show adequate bank balances they will be more likely to grant them.

or

Enroll in a Thai School that has M.O.E. (Ministry of Education) approval and get a Non Imm ED multi entry which is good for 1 year but requires 90 border runs or getting an in country extension which would require visiting Immigration every 90 days. It's going to be easiest to get the ED visa in your home country or non SEA consulate.

or

90 Day trips to Malaysia, Laos or other nearby countries for single entry Tourist Visa's which give you 60 days and then extend the TV in country for 30 days @ 1900 baht per extension. (note there are some reports of the extensions not being automatic anymore but still fairly certain if you play your cards right)

or

Travel to your home country or other non SEA consulate and get a multiple entry Tourist Visa. Depending on the consulate you could get between 2 and 4 entries. A 3 entry TV for example would give you 9 months of in country time with just border runs to activate each permitted TV entry.

Of course you could do a combination of above and use some 30 day visa exemptions here and there.

Hope that helps.

Enroll in a Thai School that has M.O.E. (Ministry of Education) approval and get a Non Imm ED multi entry which is good for 1 year but requires 90 border runs or getting an in country extension which would require visiting Immigration every 90 days. It's going to be easiest to get the ED visa in your home country or non SEA consulate.

Thanks CobraSnake,

Looks like I'll have to keep doing the border runs for a few years then, but as long as I don't have to do 90 in 1 year as you indicated..... :o

I'll check out my local schools when I'm there - might be a hoot anyway, and it'll be good to improve my Thai.

Just one more follow-up then, if I stick with the non-imm O or ED, can I do overland border runs, or do they need to be "by air"

Cobra; first my hat of for a very good reply/post! :o

As for the ED visa; it can also be gotten in Thailand (actually; conversion of your O visa from Hull at emmigration here - and then extension 1 year based on ED at emmigration here too) - if done like that there is no need for visa runs as is a full 1 year extension. The schools will normally handle the paperwork and know how to get everything correct as part of a "package".

If you stick to the non-O or ED issued in Hull you can do overland 90 day visaruns.

Cheers!

Thanks for the follow up relies all, but now I'm really confused......

So I'm better to get a new "O" visa, then arranged to convert it to an "ED" when I get here, and I can then extend this every 30 days at immigration, rather than do border-runs?

I'm living out in the sticks so I'll need to check out what the local schools can offer when I get back to Thailand.

Maybe, just stick to plan A; return to UK each year for the "O", and do 90 day border runs - don't need to bother immigration at all that way.

Cheers,

Personally I would get the 1 year non-O in Hull no matter what. That can always be changed in Thailand should you decide/find better option.

Everybody - no matter what visa - being here on 1 year extensions for a 90 day period need to report every 90 days. This can however also be done by mail.

My friend got the extension based on ED in Thailand just 3 months ago for studying Thai. A full 1 year extension and no need for visa runs - but could naturally have changed.

Cheers!

You guys are missing the boat entirely.

If the 47-year old questioner wants to retire here prior to reaching 50 years of age, he can also obtain a Non Imm B visa on a year-to-year basis.

This depends somewhat on the country he comes from (has to be a strong, "1st world" sort of country). Many companies do this but the largest is SunBelt Asia. For about 8,000 baht, they sponsor you for a 1 year, multiple entry, Non Imm B visa.

You then take their chunk of paperwork to a 'softer' or 'offline' Thai consulate and ka-bammm, you will be issued your Thai visa.

You would also need to look mighty 'presentable' if not businesslike for both the SunBelt Asia (they are not the only guys doing this, check out the classified section of the BKK Post) and the Thai consulate interviews.

One negative is that you are usually advised not to go to a Thai consulate in a nearby country but rather, further afield. Dubai used to be one option, Perth, probably Hull and probably Stuttgart.

If going further afield why would you even need Sunbelts letter of invitation.. Its a pretty trivial letter to get and seems unrequired anyway at some of the further afield friendly consuls you mention.

Years ago those same consuls accepted a letter written by myself inviting myself.. Ridiculous but true.

However theOP already has a 1 year non imm visa that he visa uns each 90 days.. He can get another one of those back home.

Edited by LivinLOS

Just keep going to Hull for three years or less really. Because out of a 12 mulit you can actually get 15 months if you play it right. Go to the border at 3/6/9 months then go again at 11 and half months.They will stamp you for three months.

After you have done the three years you the change your multi "O" into a retirment and then its just a matter of going to the local imm office and signing in every three months.

Not true. You extend your stay for one year at a time - at that time you must visit an immigration office. You report your address every 90 days when in Thailand. Address report does not need to be done in person and can also be done by mail.

Thanks for the further comments guys, esp riselane.

I'd not not considered the non-imm B visa. Does this allow a 1 year stay (with address reporting) or does it still entail border runs?

8k bt for the sponsorship seems a bit steep, unles that covers everything for the year, or would there be any further costs invloved, such as filing "business" account or tax, etc.

Maybe I'll look into this further when I'm next in-country.

The non-imm O is around 100 GBP anyway, and I need to renew in Nov. (or Feb if I make a border run before it runs out - that'll be fun - I've not done a BR before....?)

ahh ok.. I didnt see that as being materially different than what you said.. Hence I didnt understand why the 'Not true.. Etc"

Of course the 'changing your multi O into a retirement' comes with some additional work in getting the extension etc..

Edited by LivinLOS

I'd not not considered the non-imm B visa. Does this allow a 1 year stay (with address reporting) or does it still entail border runs?

Since no-one else has yet answered that question....

No, you need border crossings every 90 days. You don't seem to have any way of getting a one year extension (no wife, no WP, too young), which does require address reporting.

Since no-one else has yet answered that question....

No, you need border crossings every 90 days. You don't seem to have any way of getting a one year extension (no wife, no WP, too young), which does require address reporting.

Whatever happened to the "Max 90 days stay during a 180 day period" rule??

P.J.Berg

Hi steve73,

In that case there's no advantage of a "B" over an "O"...

YES there is a good raison :

In most countries you can't get a "non-Imm O" visa without valid raison (ie retired, married, school, ...) but you can get a "non-Imm B" if you show a valid "sponsor kit" as the one of Sunbelt Asia. It is not a simple invitation Letter, but about 30 or 40 copies of keys documents of the inviting companie, as required here : http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

I know that Hull (again) only ask for an Invitation Letter, but the travel from my country (France) to an "easy consulat" (Hull, Amsterdam, Stuttgart) would cost much more, in Money and in Time, than the Sunbelt Asia kit... :o

Pattaya46

Not true. You extend your stay for one year at a time - at that time you must visit an immigration office.

I would sugest you go back and read the first post Mr. Lop before you start because what you are saying is wrong information for someone who does not qualify for a retirement visa.

The man is 47 only he can not retire here until 50 years old with an income of 65,000bt per month or 800,000bt in the bank.

I'm 47, from UK, currently visiting for <90 days each visit using a multi-entry non-imm "O" visa, obtained painlessly from Hull last year.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve73, under what pretence are you currently obtaining your non-immigrant 'O' from Hull? If there are no costs in addition to the visa fee, such as those required by an agent like Sunbelt for a non-B, then you seem to be on to a winner until you convert to a retirement visa in 2010. Don't forget to request a re-entry version of the retirement unless you wish to apply for re-entry permit from immigration on each occasion you leave.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve73, under what pretence are you currently obtaining your non-immigrant 'O' from Hull? If there are no costs in addition to the visa fee, such as those required by an agent like Sunbelt for a non-B, then you seem to be on to a winner until you convert to a retirement visa in 2010. Don't forget to request a re-entry version of the retirement unless you wish to apply for re-entry permit from immigration on each occasion you leave.

"Frequent visitor, visiting friends" worked last time.... Hope it does again now I have a house!!!

In reply to Pattaya 46, I agree that in many cases an "O" is perhaps not as easy as a "Sunbelt-B". I'm lucky then!

For more backgroud info, I was previously offerred a job in BKK, but on roughly half what I'm making in the UK. It seemed pointless to be working in T/L full time (especially since I HATE bangkok), compared to taking frequent holidays roughly 2 months t/l then 2 months working in UK, albetit with flight costs of course...it just that my work is starting to get me down and I now fancy the early retirement option...

Steve73, under what pretence are you currently obtaining your non-immigrant 'O' from Hull?

"Frequent visitor, visiting friends" worked last time.... Hope it does again now I have a house!!!

...it just that my work is starting to get me down and I now fancy the early retirement option...

So 'visiting friends' etc. does not require any supporting letter or documentation such as the invitation required for the non-B? Thanks for suggesting it.

Have you considered Internet financial trading with part of your investment as a diversion and money-earner in Thailand?