Airlines Praise Improved Suvarnabhumi

george

Airlines praise improved Suvarnabhumi

BANGKOK: -- National and international airlines have praised an overall improved service at Suvarnabhumi airport which will mark its first anniversary on Sep 28, airport director Serirat Prasutanond said Thursday.

He said a number of airline managers have lauded the continuous improvement of service at Suvarnbhumi airport, adding that airport officials had followed up on arising problems and worked out solutions accordingly.

One of the positive changes is a permission for licensed taxis to offer service on the second floor of the passenger terminal, starting Oct. 1 to solve the problem of unauthorized taxis touting for passengers, Serirat said.

The ongoing improvement of the airport includes additional restrooms in October and more check-in counters for passengers soon.

Serirat said the CTX luggage scanner system has been fully operated after some technical problems earlier.

On the noise pollution which has triggered dissatisfaction among residents near the airport, Serirat said negotiations with affected homeowners would help find solutions that satisfy both sides.

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) will pay a combined compensation of 170 million baht to affected residents on Friday.

Asked about an extension of space for airline offices at Suvarnabhumi, the airport director said the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) would be in charge of drawing out an initial plan.

The ICAO will also conduct a feasibility study to determine if Don Mueang airport should be operated in compatible with Suvarnabhumi airport. All issues will be finalized in October, he said.

-- TNA 2007-09-14

In May, I went out through Suvarnabhumi, with no problem.

I had come down to Don Mueang, used the 35 baht bus to Suvarnabhumi Bus Station and then the free shuttle bus.

In comparision to the cost of transferring between any of the London Airports, that was superb.

It worked as well in reverse, except for the hassle from the touts between coming through from Customs and getting to where the shuttle bus stops.

The touts were awful.

Because I wasn't wearing my yellow shirt, I presumably looked like an old codger coming here alone on holiday to chase a bit of tail in the sun. So the touts were hassle, hassle, hassle. One even denied that there was a shuttle bus.

It didn't feel like entry to a "Land of Smiles".

There wasn't a smile on the face of a single one of the touts.

At Don Mueang, if I answered there "Where you go?" with "Oodorn Tanee. Phum bai Ban Nork", I used to get a shrug and a little smile.

But that Suvarnabhumi bunch were grim to the extent that I ended up quite snarly.

Not a good welcome back. Complete opposite to arrival at Singapore. TAT should lobby for a 'Tout Code of Conduct', plus inspectors to de-certify offenders against it.

(However, in all fairness, it was but a short-lived exoerience. Life became pleasant again once I was on the shuttle bus and the people at the Bus Station were most helpful.)

There are always going to be teething problems with any large enterprise - but this isn't the first international airport in the world to be built.

Let's go through the comments of airport director Serirat Prasutanond:

1) Continuous improvement of service at Suvarnbhumi Airport - sorry, Khun Prasutanond there was so much wong with your airport to start with, anything should be an improvement.

2) Permission for licensed taxis to offer service on the second floor of the passenger terminal, starting Oct. 1 - that should have happened from Day 1 (Sept 28, 2006).

3) The problem of unauthorized taxis touting for passengers - there shouldn't be a problem - we do not have to go as far as Manilla and ban visitors farewelling passengers - just make sure all touts are licenced and stick to an approved Code of Conduct - two strikes (complaints) and they are 'out' - banned.

4) Additional restrooms in October - heavens above, they should have been there from Day 1 also.

5) The CTX luggage scanner system fiasco - graft and corruption in hiugh places does this. While the scanner system was down, luggage had to be manually inspected before being placed on aircraft - this delayed luggage and caused problems at the other end (the arrival airport) where extra resources were required to thoroughly scan luggage which had departed Suvarnbhumi Airport.

6) Noise pollution which has triggered dissatisfaction among residents near the airport - if you want to live close to an airport, you put up with the noise. How much of the combined compensation of 170 million baht will actually go to affected residents?

7) ICAO will also conduct a feasibility study to determine if Don Mueang airport should be operated in compatible with Suvarnabhumi Airport - ask your customers if they want two airports - short answer: NO.

Peter

There are always going to be teething problems with any large enterprise - but this isn't the first international airport in the world to be built.

Let's go through the comments of airport director Serirat Prasutanond:

1) Continuous improvement of service at Suvarnbhumi Airport - sorry, Khun Prasutanond there was so much wong with your airport to start with, anything should be an improvement.

2) Permission for licensed taxis to offer service on the second floor of the passenger terminal, starting Oct. 1 - that should have happened from Day 1 (Sept 28, 2006).

3) The problem of unauthorized taxis touting for passengers - there shouldn't be a problem - we do not have to go as far as Manilla and ban visitors farewelling passengers - just make sure all touts are licenced and stick to an approved Code of Conduct - two strikes (complaints) and they are 'out' - banned.

4) Additional restrooms in October - heavens above, they should have been there from Day 1 also.

5) The CTX luggage scanner system fiasco - graft and corruption in hiugh places does this. While the scanner system was down, luggage had to be manually inspected before being placed on aircraft - this delayed luggage and caused problems at the other end (the arrival airport) where extra resources were required to thoroughly scan luggage which had departed Suvarnbhumi Airport.

6) Noise pollution which has triggered dissatisfaction among residents near the airport - if you want to live close to an airport, you put up with the noise. How much of the combined compensation of 170 million baht will actually go to affected residents?

7) ICAO will also conduct a feasibility study to determine if Don Mueang airport should be operated in compatible with Suvarnabhumi Airport - ask your customers if they want two airports - short answer: NO.

Peter

wow ,1 year already how time flies.its good to know there getting it right ,in my opinion its a good airport ,easy access from bkk ,clesn ,and never had a problem with taxi touts ....

Oh yes, I definetely want Don Mueang up again, at least at the level we have now. It is my favourite going from Phuket to Isan and back, and this happens frequently.

If you want to live near the airport, you must expect to live with the noise? What about the people who lived there BEFORE the airport was built? What would be VERY interesting is a study that shows which politicians bought land BEFORE construction started, how much they paid for it and how much they sold it for.

If you want to live near the airport, you must expect to live with the noise? What about the people who lived there BEFORE the airport was built? What would be VERY interesting is a study that shows which politicians bought land BEFORE construction started, how much they paid for it and how much they sold it for.

Considering that the first land was purchased for the new airport in 1963, and construction was approved in 1991 there shouldn't be too many claimants.

http://www.eeat.or.th/articles/Environment...ndAeropolis.pdf

http://bundit2nd.blogspot.com/2007/01/suva...rt-history.html

Any suicidal investigation journalist want to take this job? :o

So airline managers are praising the improvements...but they don't quote any airline managers. Only the head of the airport. Interesting.

I go out there about once a month and I find nothing nice about it. It's big, noisy and just not very user friendly. The main thing I don't really like as I am usually picking folks up, is that the food is terrible and there is such a limited selection.

I am not a big fan of airports to begin with--the main thing I like is that they are easy to get around in and easy to find your way to where you need to be.

The ongoing improvement of the airport includes additional restrooms in October and more check-in counters for passengers soon.

First I've heard of that. How soon is "soon"? And where are they going to be?

BANGKOK: -- National and international airlines have praised an overall improved service at Suvarnabhumi airport which will mark its first anniversary on Sep 28, airport director Serirat Prasutanond said Thursday.

He said a number of airline managers have lauded the continuous improvement of service at Suvarnbhumi airport, adding that airport officials had followed up on arising problems and worked out solutions accordingly.

One of the positive changes is a permission for licensed taxis to offer service on the second floor of the passenger terminal, starting Oct. 1 to solve the problem of unauthorized taxis touting for passengers, Serirat said.

Serirat said the CTX luggage scanner system has been fully operated after some technical problems earlier.

On the noise pollution which has triggered dissatisfaction among residents near the airport, Serirat said negotiations with affected homeowners would help find solutions that satisfy both sides.

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) will pay a combined compensation of 170 million baht to affected residents on Friday.

Asked about an extension of space for airline offices at Suvarnabhumi, the airport director said the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) would be in charge of drawing out an initial plan.

The ICAO will also conduct a feasibility study to determine if Don Mueang airport should be operated in compatible with Suvarnabhumi airport. All issues will be finalized in October, he said.

-- TNA 2007-09-14

Here's a number, unlike the anonymous mystery airlines praising the airport, it's called "One"

Sinced they used the plural form, this is "TWO"

-- TNA 2007-09-14

Here's a number, unlike the anonymous mystery airlines praising the airport, it's called "One"

Would that be Thai and Nok Air?

-- TNA 2007-09-14

Would that be Thai and Nok Air?

Yes, that's correct. That covers both National and International and "a number of."

Considering that the first land was purchased for the new airport in 1963, and construction was approved in 1991 there shouldn't be too many claimants.

http://www.eeat.or.th/articles/Environment...ndAeropolis.pdf

http://bundit2nd.blogspot.com/2007/01/suva...rt-history.html

Just to think that they wanted to built a mega city around the new airport less than a year ago. :o

These are just 'tarting up'improvements.

A year ago, though, there was a report that, as Cobra Swamp had been a tidal swamp, the tide was sucking out material from underneath the runways.

Was that report wrong?

Or is there a big underlying threat to the airport's use by heavy long-haul jets?

So airline managers are praising the improvements...but they don't quote any airline managers. Only the head of the airport. Interesting.

That's exactly what I thought when I read the article this morning. There would be more credibility if the quotes came from the airlines themselves.

That's exactly what I thought when I read the article this morning. There would be more credibility if the quotes came from the airlines themselves.

when i read all these comments again and again i feel embaressed and most of all feel mildly understanding for the contempt of the Thais for resident-farangs

-- TNA 2007-09-14

Interesting that it needs the ICAO to draw up plans, for expanding the space available within the building, for the airlines' offices. Presumably the airport-operator felt it didn't have the necessary skills - to manage the development of its own building ? I sniff a blame-the-foreigners excuse in-the-making. :D

And when will construction be completed, on the new Low-Cost-Carrier terminal, whose start was announced (twice) last summer, by Thaksin & the AAT ? Funny how that facility, which would be a welcome addition to enable the airport to handle its high volume of business, seems to have gone quiet. But then, if it were completed, or had even been started, there would be no excuse for keeping Don Muang open, and for the continued long-term inconvenience to international-passengers which it causes. :o

"But then, if it were completed, or had even been started, there would be no excuse for keeping Don Muang open, and for the continued long-term inconvenience to international-passengers which it causes."

DonMeung reopend not because of runway cracks at Suwannapoom, but pressure from influential people wanting to get a piece of the action.

Top Thais are as bright as top Brits, top Yanks (maybe brighter, thinking of GWB), top Krauts, top Nips, or whatever.

If there is the slightest reason to think that the runways may, in the future, become undermined and have to be used only for light aircraft, they will have drawn up a contingency plan, and still having Don Mueang able to function as an International Airport for the heavy long-haul flights will be a necessity in that plan.

Keeping stummn about the possibility will also be a necessity. Tell the press that something might happen five, ten, fifteen, twenty years in the future and the press will soon have half the public believing that it already has happened.

For an operator of an airport, a shortage of passenger loos is a big nuisance. But a shortage of runways is a disaster, and any hint it might come along has to be taken seriously, with cool being kept.

"Asked about an extension of space for airline offices at Suvarnabhumi, the airport director said the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) would be in charge of drawing out an initial plan."

I'll bet that the ICAO are smiling and saying "Thank you".

But it will be what Thais call a 'dry' smile, and the words "for nothing" will be in their minds, though not their mouths.

That initial plan is all about allocation of space, and whoever draws it up is going to be the baddy who gave us too little space, or put us in a bad location, to half the airline managements.

Clever to put the ICAO in the crap-receiving position!

The same Serirat, beginning of april :

"Suvarnabhumi airport director Serirat Prasutanond said yesterday that taxi stands would move up from the frontal road on the first floor of the passenger terminal to the second floor after the Songkran festival ends on April 17." (source)

And he added, what a wise man : "This may affect some groups but it must be understood for the sake of problem solving."

:o

I have to admit when I first read the heading on this thread, I thought it was some kind of joke.

Praise for the new airport?

Kind of like:

Pattaya named World Cultural Heritage Site

Most New Yorkers don't lock their doors

Al Queda sponsors Gay Pride Parade

that sort of thing.

Edited by Jingthing

when i read all these comments again and again i feel embaressed and most of all feel mildly understanding for the contempt of the Thais for resident-farangs

Belidofan.

You're being a bit narrow-minded interpreting these comments as a criticism of Thais. They are not. Any self-congratulatory comments whether from Thais, Westerners or other foreigners have to be treated with a bit of caution. Those adversely affected such as the airlines and passengers themselves should be the views considered.

For the record I have used the new airport once a few months ago and based on my own experiences the overall impression was quite favourable, concluding that some of the many criticisms were a little over the top. However as a new airport certain things should have been done better and AOT still has some work to do in order to compete with Singapore for example.

The same Serirat, beginning of april :

"Suvarnabhumi airport director Serirat Prasutanond said yesterday that taxi stands would move up from the frontal road on the first floor of the passenger terminal to the second floor after the Songkran festival ends on April 17.[/i]" (source)

And he added, what a wise man : "This may affect some groups but it must be understood for the sake of problem solving."

:o

What Songkran festival are we talking about :D