Jet Ski To Phangan

BigC

possible to jet ski to from samui to phangan  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if you do it do it with 2 jet skis and radios within about 500 meter apart. for "safty"

would like to know becuase i am toying with the idea of getting one.

obvoulsy fuel might be the deciding facter

Sure it is possible. All depends from where to where. If you follow the Lompraya route which is pretty much sheltered, you should be able to do it without problems or even refilling.

The newer PWCs (4 stroke, fuel injected) are very reliable, and reasonably fuel efficient. The safety factor comes mostly from the person, and if you are sensible rider, pick a good weather day I think it would be an easy ride. Bophut to Haad Rin is roughly 13K by google earth. Good luck and be safe

Undercurrents are not an issue (they are not going by submarine). Jet Skis and ferries are hardly comparable. Jet skis are quite hardy and regularly used as surf rescue craft in much bigger and rougher swells than they are likely to come across for the suggested crossing.

Providing the riders are experienced, the main issues to address are communication, safety (life jackets, tow ropes etc.) and fuel. GPS and on land backup support is also a must in case it all goes pear shaped.

EDIT : Spelling

Edited by chiliwasabi

The newer PWCs (4 stroke, fuel injected) are very reliable, and reasonably fuel efficient. The safety factor comes mostly from the person, and if you are sensible rider, pick a good weather day I think it would be an easy ride. Bophut to Haad Rin is roughly 13K by google earth. Good luck and be safe
Undercurrents are not an issue (they are not going by submarine). Jet Skis and ferries are hardly comparable. Jet skis are quite hardy and regularly used as surf rescue craft in much bigger and rougher swells than they are likely to come across for the suggested crossing.

Providing the riders are experienced, the main issues to address are communication, safety (life jackets, tow ropes etc.) and fuel. GPS and on land backup support is also a must in case it all goes pear shaped.

EDIT : Spelling

Lots of big if's there guys. I think it is possible with the above givens, but have to wonder how many people who know what they are doing would actually be involved in such an undertaking.

:o Ya, and it's only a couple miles from Katmandu to the next mountain. I've been across the strait from Haadrin to Bophut at least 300 times. You know the currents and conditions, maybe, but I bet you'll be calling for rescue.

Oh, I forgot, knew many "Olympic swimmers" who tried to swim across, too. SBK, you remember which beaches they washed up on? I'm a little hazy on that; there were so many.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

What would you class them as then?

legitimate targets ...........................

:o

I agree. I must say nothing ruins a nice day at the beach than a bunch of hoons buzzing around on Jet skis. However I do owe my life to a jet ski (And yes a high powered on at that!) when I nearly drowned tow in surfing several KMs offshore in OZ.

Bad idea. Unless you have a boat standing by...and have informed them of your plans.

Hand held marine radios are notoriously bad....with a 5 mile range at best....they advertise better, but in reality.....suck.

You could be in big trouble quickly if unfamiliar with currents....they WILL affect a jet ski, as will wind.

I work as a ships captain, and am a licensed marine pilot. Knowledge of current strengths...times of current change..strength (height) and time of tides..wind direction and speed....are all factors that change daily, and must be carefully considered before any voyage.

Sure your voyage is possible....it's also possible you'd drift out of radio range and die.

Please be careful, and have a reliable backup.

FIRST PERSON TO CROSS THE ATLANTIC OCEAN ON A SEA-DOO WATERCRAFT IN ATLANTIC 2002 EXPEDITION

With support from Bombardier, Marichalar began his adventure in early spring on a specially prepared Sea-Doo XP™ watercraft, and followed by a support ship with a six-person crew, and roughly 6743 of open ocean miles behind him, he will arrive in Miami on Saturday, June 22nd at 11:00 AM. The trips planned route had Marichalar leaving Rome, Italy and arriving in Miami, Florida of the United States, with planned stops in Spain, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Bahamas among others along the way.

This demanding trip took a toll on both rider and equipment. The 41-year-old Marichalar choose the Sea-Doo XP model over arguably a more distance riding oriented model such as a Sea-Doo GTX model. The XP complements his stand up style of riding and the hull of the XP penetrates the open ocean conditions offering a smoother open ocean ride and is also equipped with the Sea-Doo exclusive Direct Action Suspension™ seat for added comfort. Through the harsh saltwater conditions and treacherous seas the Sea‑Doo XP withstood the test and fulfilled all of the trips reliability demands by logging over 320 hours of operating time during the trip.

Marichalar trained for two months leading up to his departure adding nearly 40 pounds of body mass to compensate for the weight he would lose during his grueling journey. He slept in a specially constructed life raft designed to ward off any sharks and/or other predators while at sea. He prepared himself for his time in the raft by living in it for weeks last fall in the Mediterranean Sea.

Marichalar faced many challenges during his crossing. Alone against the great ocean, he faced humbling seas and swells measuring over six meters in height. In one journal entry he wrote that his Sea-Doo watercraft, “responds remarkably well to almost all conditions and has enough power to move and turn to conquer all types of sea (conditions).” In addition to the seas, Marichalar endured intense cold during the first twelve days on the Atlantic from strong northeast winds, large squalls, and hours upon hours of harsh sun.

On the 23rd of May, exactly 500 years after Christopher Columbus first weighed anchor on the island of Antigua; Marichalar made his landfall. His greatest challenge came just before his arrival in Puerto Rico when his support boat gave out and he was forced to find another boat to replace it. This is only one of the many stories making the Atlantik 2002 expedition an epic adventure, there are many more to be heard.

Marichalar began the Atlantik 2002 expedition to promote the sport of watercraft riding and a healthy lifestyle far away from drugs and alcohol. In the different ports he anchored, Marichalar delivered Spanish and Atlantik 2002 flags in exchange for flags from the countries that he visited. His objective was to carry them to the United States where he would like to organize a rally in the name of peace and tolerance among different nations, religions, races and cultures that are united by the ocean.

Marichalar is grateful to all those who helped him and supported him on this adventure, in particular, the many sponsors who helped him realize his dream. He is including the many countries that welcomed him into their communities as well as the many sponsors who helped him realize his dream. His voyage would not have been possible if not from the aid of many collaborators including Bombardier Recreational Products’ distributor Jets Marivent located in Barcelona, Spain who provided him with his two Sea-Doo XP watercraft.

Alvaro de Marichalar can now lay claim as to being the first and only person to cross the Atlantic Ocean on a personal watercraft, and he did it on a Sea-Doo watercraft. This feat exemplifies the heart and soul that goes into each and every Sea-Doo watercraft. When your fun depends so heavily on one machine, let that machine be reliable and sea worthy, no, make that ocean worthy, and make that machine a Sea-Doo watercraft.

if you do it do it with 2 jet skis and radios within about 500 meter apart. for "safty"

would like to know becuase i am toying with the idea of getting one.

obvoulsy fuel might be the deciding facter

Big C! You should go for it! What about putting a camcorder in a plastic bag and filming it? Seriously, you would go down as a hero! :o

^ A jetski is a high-powered rugged motorcraft? C'mon.

um yes, they are. ever seen how surfers drop in to 70 foot waves or how swimmers are pulled out of dangerous situations off the coast of hawaii?

its like saying you cant ride a motocycle from haadrin to thong nai pan.

A freind of mine did it form bantai to bophutwith a speed boat chasing. 25 minutes. had lunch then someone else rode it back.

no sweat.

the difficulty lies in finding someone who will rent it to you. if privately owned go nuts.

Edited by t.s

there is nothing to worry about going between the 2 islands. i wouldn't consider it to be a danger unless it was heavily storming while at night and even then you could do it. i would rather jetski to samui from phangan in horrible weather conditions than take a boat. always wear a life jacket and make sure your kill switch is attached to you so that if you fall off having fun it doesn't idle away from you. let someone know that you are leaving so that when you don't return that night you can have people looking for you.

just go and do it. it sounds like a good idea.

when i lived in the states we had 3 seadoo's and one was equipt with a floating trailer to carry spare gasoline. we would go on full day excursions.

Jet skis have circumnavigated Australia before and encountered huge swells and tide races at various points not to mention the daily fatigue of continuous riding for hours day after day. A boat is only as seaworthy as the captain,if you go make sure safety measures are in place and pick calm day and enjoy the trip.

Regards

Madyakka

8 months ago a tallented real estate agent from Samui took a jetski from chaweng and jet his way to Hadrin.

the sea was calm and they had a perfect ride.

on the way back at about 3 pm his engine choked when he was out at sea a bit north of chongmoon.

he was with 2 small kids on the jet ski and after a while he realised that the wind and currents were sending him away from samui in to the open sea.

he dumped the jestski and swam with the children for almost 4 hours trying to get back to shore finnaly exiting the beach near Lamai.

while he was swimming back boats from samui relaising that he was not back on time started looking for him at some pont they were even considered as lost at sea...

it all eneded well but at the end of the day it was a reckless thing to do and it could have gone realy bad.

jetski are used for coastal cruising and if ou wish to take it to pangan then at least make safety arrangements to have somone follow you or be in a formation with another jestski. it can get very dangerous if you are stranded in the middle of the sea.

Big C! You should go for it! What about putting a camcorder in a plastic bag and filming it? Seriously, you would go down as a hero! laugh.gif

Or go down as a moron if killed.

Already got him down as a moron, so hey, the only way is up. Seriously, Big C, if you don't make it you will be sorely missed. Death is but another adventure, look forward to you posting the video