What's Wrong With Pattaya

NanLaew

Reading the latest Pattaya Today and saw that the powers that be have a good idea of what is wrong with Pattaya, under the banner

"Pattaya really needs a brand new look."

"Pattaya’s image problems were more related to old problems still being unsolved and even ignored by the authorities. Amongst these traditional problems which annoyed tourists and served as a disincentive were too many hookers and ladyboys hanging around popular areas, such as beach road,... Other bad aspects of Pattaya were lewd shows, hawkers with an overpricing obsession and people with snakes and monkeys demanding to take your picture. Summing up, deputy mayor Ronakit Ekasingh said that there would be renewed efforts through the various police sections to clean up Pattaya and break up the so-called mafia groups which control the illegal businesses."

So there you have it. The unregulated construction, water shortages, lack of phone lines and an increasingly dodgy electricity supply are not even on the City Hall radar. Neither is the consideration of zoning or need for a proper public mass transit system significant enough for city action.

Reading the latest Pattaya Today and saw that the powers that be have a good idea of what is wrong with Pattaya, under the banner

"Pattaya's image problems were more related to old problems still being unsolved and even ignored by the authorities. Amongst these traditional problems which annoyed tourists and served as a disincentive were too many hookers and ladyboys hanging around popular areas, such as beach road,... Other bad aspects of Pattaya were lewd shows, hawkers with an overpricing obsession and people with snakes and monkeys demanding to take your picture. Summing up, deputy mayor Ronakit Ekasingh said that there would be renewed efforts through the various police sections to clean up Pattaya and break up the so-called mafia groups which control the illegal businesses."

So there you have it. The unregulated construction, water shortages, lack of phone lines and an increasingly dodgy electricity supply are not even on the City Hall radar. Neither is the consideration of zoning or need for a proper public mass transit system significant enough for city action.

hmmmmm, my list is different, that they mention only those activities they cannot tax and profit from. That some politicians have a bad family background, that we get ripped off by a bath bus "mafia" or at least constantly insulted. Plus a certain farang crowd inspired by nazi symbols or such attitudes.......

Now lets wait and wonder

When I first came to Pattaya there were a few ladyboys Beach Road end of 6/1 and some in soi 6. Now I would recon that ladyboys in soi 6 must be 60% of "activity" in soi 6. Not something I care for. However there are still some very good bars in Soi 6 worth visiting if you are prepared to run the gauntlet past the more and more aggressive ladyboys.

My point is the sex industry in Pattaya is evolving..someone once said that "constant change is here to stay". Is it changing for the good or the bad.. well only time will tell!

I agree that there is a lack of infrastructure and consistent pulic services. Issues around cleanliness have already been raised in other threads There is a challenge with regards to the environment generally that City Hall has to address.

Finally in my view there appears to be a naiieve approach by City Hall to the many meetings they have regards a much to do about nothing. Bit like a soap opera....not to be taken too seriously!

When I first came to Pattaya there were a few ladyboys Beach Road end of 6/1 and some in soi 6. Now I would recon that ladyboys in soi 6 must be 60% of "activity" in soi 6. Not something I care for. However there are still some very good bars in Soi 6 worth visiting if you are prepared to run the gauntlet past the more and more aggressive ladyboys.

My point is the sex industry in Pattaya is evolving..someone once said that "constant change is here to stay". Is it changing for the good or the bad.. well only time will tell!

I agree that there is a lack of infrastructure and consistent pulic services. Issues around cleanliness have already been raised in other threads There is a challenge with regards to the environment generally that City Hall has to address.

Finally in my view there appears to be a naiieve approach by City Hall to the many meetings they have regards a much to do about nothing. Bit like a soap opera....not to be taken too seriously!

OK, so we can add garbage collection to the 'real world' problems of Pattaya.

Water, phones, public transport, road repairs, parking, construction zoning, beach and sea cleanliness, panhandlers & touts.

BTW, I think your claim of 60% LB activity on Soi 6 is an exaggeration. But let's not dwell on p4p as it will get this post killed.

"Pattaya’s image problems were more related to old problems still being unsolved and even ignored by the authorities. Amongst these traditional problems which annoyed tourists and served as a disincentive were too many hookers and ladyboys hanging around popular areas, such as beach road,... Other bad aspects of Pattaya were lewd shows, hawkers with an overpricing obsession and people with snakes and monkeys demanding to take your picture. Summing up, deputy mayor Ronakit Ekasingh said that there would be renewed efforts through the various police sections to clean up Pattaya and break up the so-called mafia groups which control the illegal businesses."

As usual, it's not what the package contains, rather the look of the wrapping that prevails.