Chiang Mai Immigration Office

neilrob

I would just like to say a word of praise for the Immigration Office here in CM. I went there today for the first time, to apply for a retirement visa (instead of my current, soon expiring Non-B visa, which I got from the consulate in Los Angeles). I have heard a lot of negative stories recently about visa problems. At the very least, I thought I would have to wait a long time and probably have to come back after they had considered my application for a couple of weeks. I was treated most politely. Only one hour after I walked into the office with a stack of documents and copies, I walked out with a one year (actually almost 13 months) visa stamped in my passport. Thank you, CM Immigration for quick and efficient service.

Neil

Coincidentally, there is a post on the Chiang Rai forum today from a member who raved about the excellent treatment, and fast service, he received at the Mae Sai border Thai Immigration office.

I really think these folks do a good job.

I just went to CM Immigration mid Sept to get a retirement extension and a multi-entry permit. Though very crowded on the day I was there, I was in and out in about 1 1/2 hours total (for 2 separate items). :o

McG

I walked out with a one year (actually almost 13 months) visa stamped in my passport.

Could you elaborate on that please. I can't quite connect the dots (but that's true for a lot of things).

They ran the visa for a year from when the last entry stamp in my passport would expire, late this month, rather than running it from yesterday, when I got the visa. This is probably normal, but surprised me. That is why I've got almost 13 months from now. Hope this makes sense.

Neil

I went there today for the first time, to apply for a retirement visa (instead of my current, soon expiring Non-B visa, which I got from the consulate in Los Angeles).

When you say "visa," I'm assuming you mean 'extension of stay(?)' So, if you were here on a 1-year extension based on your Non-B "visa" and a work permit -- and this extension is what is about to expire -- then CM effectively renewed your current 1-year extension, albeit now using 'retirement' vice 'work' criteria. So, yes, the dates make sense, if this is the situation.

I guess there's no reason why a Non Imm B can't be extended on 'retirement' criteria. The existence of a valid work permit, however, would queer the scene, since work ain't allowed under retirement criteria. Did you have to show a canceled WP?

Or am I still not connecting the dots?

I went there today for the first time, to apply for a retirement visa (instead of my current, soon expiring Non-B visa, which I got from the consulate in Los Angeles).

When you say "visa," I'm assuming you mean 'extension of stay(?)' So, if you were here on a 1-year extension based on your Non-B "visa" and a work permit -- and this extension is what is about to expire -- then CM effectively renewed your current 1-year extension, albeit now using 'retirement' vice 'work' criteria. So, yes, the dates make sense, if this is the situation.

I guess there's no reason why a Non Imm B can't be extended on 'retirement' criteria. The existence of a valid work permit, however, would queer the scene, since work ain't allowed under retirement criteria. Did you have to show a canceled WP?

Or am I still not connecting the dots?

You are absolutely right---it is really an extension of my former visa but now on a retirement basis. So I was using "retirement visa" loosely. I have never had the Non-B extended as a Non-B. It "expired" in late August, a year from when I received it (I put "expired" in quotes since the year was up and I could not re-enter on the visa). However, I had a stamp in my passport with the usual 90 day permission to stay from when I last crossed a border in late July (before the visa "expired"). This stamp would have expired in late Oct, and they dated the extension from then, which is what surprised me.

As for a work permit, I've never had one because, although I came here intending to work, I changed my mind once I got here and decided not to bother. I thought someone might ask to see my work permit when I came through a border after foreign travels (since a Non-B visa is supposed to be a work visa and the holder presumably therefore should have a work permit to go with it). However, no one ever did. Also, no one at Immigration this time asked about what work I had been doing and whether or not I had a work permit, and if not, why not. Again this seemed a bit strange, but I'm not complaining.

Hope this makes sense, Neil

Normally the 1st extension of stay you get for retirement is 12 months from the last time you entered Thailand.

Unless the system has changed?

I doubt the system has changed. Neil apparently got the benefit of a confused Immigration officer.

Still, it is a place with people acting individually....

Two years ago, a worker there tried to pressure me into paying her 100,000 baht..

But I have been here for a few years and I have some friends...

She is no longer employed there :o

Still, it is a place with people acting individually....

Two years ago, a worker there tried to pressure me into paying her 100,000 baht..

But I have been here for a few years and I have some friends...

She is no longer employed there :o

Wow Ajarn!! Really impressive! Avoided a crude amateur scam and got rid of the witch eh? See you newbies what a few years here can do!! Any chance of a list of your friends in high places? And their e-mails of course??

I would just like to say a word of praise for the Immigration Office here in CM. I went there today for the first time, to apply for a retirement visa (instead of my current, soon expiring Non-B visa, which I got from the consulate in Los Angeles). I have heard a lot of negative stories recently about visa problems. At the very least, I thought I would have to wait a long time and probably have to come back after they had considered my application for a couple of weeks. I was treated most politely. Only one hour after I walked into the office with a stack of documents and copies, I walked out with a one year (actually almost 13 months) visa stamped in my passport. Thank you, CM Immigration for quick and efficient service.

Neil

To try to get back to this original topic - well deserved praise for Chiang Mai Immigration - I would agree with just one fairly important caveat.

Do not take as gospel anything you are told by the youngsters in the 'windows' of the newer building on the right of the compound. Neither the university volunteers, pretty tho they may be, nor the younger males in uniform.

Twice in recent years I have been given wrong information by these well meaning but less-than-totally-educated souls.

If you need real, sound advice to avoid any errors, tell the person at the window that you have a "very complicated problem and you wish to sit down inside with an officer." Provided you avoid busy days like Mondays and Fridays, and the day just after a national holiday I think you'll be seen promptly and get the right info from the horse's mouth.

Good advice, about getting more detailed information from senior staff. But the young man behind the counter at the left building knows his stuff and can be helpful, although he makes no decisions. I wouldn't be too curt or dismissive, but that's a clever idea to say your problem is very complex. As Elihu told Job in chapter 32, "advanced years should teach wisdom...but it is not only the old who are wise."

I was just there for my 90 day stamp and heard one of the highest ranked and nicest officers give someone totally wrong information about getting an unlimited entry permit. The officer doesn't speak English very well. Luckily, a Farang who was waiting in line set her straight and the officer didn't mind a bit. :o

I was just there for my 90 day stamp and heard one of the highest ranked and nicest officers give someone totally wrong information about getting an unlimited entry permit. The officer doesn't speak English very well. Luckily, a Farang who was waiting in line set her straight and the officer didn't mind a bit. :o

Thanks Ulysses - you've just reminded me what those folks have in common with TAT. A year or so ago I was in the Northern-Region-No-1-fount-of-all-knowledge on the river when a polite young Kiwi came in asking how to get to Wat Umong.

First he got the "sit down preez" in succession from the line of attractive young parrots on the front desk. Then, a few minutes later, the old beak in charge came in and told him (and I quote) "just take a red seelor to the Zoo and walk up the side road by the Zoo. Wat Umong is right behind it."

I saved him, what, half a day, by following him out and quietly setting him straight.

And it's all done with such a lovely SMILE. Even when they are wrong, know they are wrong and PROVED wrong.

Maybe we from the west could learn from that???? Our crude 'papering over the cracks' is Zero by contrast!

I went in for my much-dreaded annual renewal of my type O retirement visa, and was out within 1.5 hours, successfully. No problem, really. The staff were polite and professional; even the copy machine lady was okay. I did not submit a medical report, and none was asked. I submitted my self-statement from the U.S. Embassy/consulate, and they kept my original without saying why. As we hoped, the rumor that the MFA would have to verify my embassy certification was a false rumor. Other than two extra trips to the photocopy lady (I should have copied everything the first time), nothing more was needed. Oh, I offered my bank records but because I was not using a deposit method (pension method instead), the officer gave me back the bank records.

That's a big load off my mind, but I'm still making alternate plans for Mexico.

Lots of farang were there, and not one obnoxious old fart or stupid backpacker. Ran into an old buddy, talked with an employee of CMU, noticed lots of international school students getting their extensions. I told one of them once (when she complained the Chiang Mai Immigration staff had a bad employee), "Girl, that may be the best immigration office in Thailand!"

I went in for my much-dreaded annual renewal of my type O retirement visa, and was out within 1.5 hours, successfully....

So you were one of the butterflies I saw fluttering by while I sat meditating on patience!? Me and wife were there also today for my third annual extension of spouse dependent permit to stay. Entered my name into the "guestbook" at 8.35 and sat down. First progress occurred about 3 hours later at 11.15 when I heard my name together with 5-6 other names of people who were told to go home and come back in the afternoon. Well, we did that and after only half an hour, it was our turn. We didn't make it further than to the first gatekeeper, though. One document, never mentioned anywhere else on any website, was missing - she said. Go get it, and come back tomorrow morning.

Speed is a relative measure. It shouldn't take long to process that tiny handful of sheets, tucked inside the passport, retirees hand over the counter. So, it doesn't surprise me that it can be done in "only" 1.5 hour. Comparing the few required documents retirees need with my own 86 required sheets made me feel a bit envious. Today, there were 5-6 other guys with similar sized piles of documentation before me in the line . The effectiveness of CM Immigration doesn't reach into the sky. Today, there seemed to be only one officer handling spouse-extensions and since - according to my emperical observations - it takes on an average 35-45 minutes to process a spouse-dependent application - 5-6 of that kind of cases before you sure does make it a day.

Well - to others who are about to apply for a spouse dependent extension - I can confirm that Chiang Mai immigration doesn't care the slightest for those photos, that has been debated on the main visa forum. The photos and the map was the only items, the gatekeeper dismissed from my 86 sheet pile. What she requested extra was employment contract for my wife and I. I've seen such things mentioned in connection with business visas, but never before in connection with spouse-visas. However, employment contract aren't totally irrelevant, since we're meeting the financial requirements by means of a combined Thai-work income of 40,000 Baht (me 30k, she 10k).

Well, none of us had any employment contract, but luckily we have an employer with an understanding director (that's me) so no problem in producing those employment contracts (it's all homemade so what do they prove?)... So, now I'm all set and ready for the second day with a closed business so we can spend another day meditating on patience down at the quick and efficient CM Immigration ... (I swear, I'll pay back by only filing the absolute minimum of input VATthis month).

Cyberstar, I'm sorry it takes you so long to get a spouse extension; I know nothing about that. Also, the only time I ever got a retirement extension based upon deposits in a Thai bank, it was 200K (for an O visa in Penang) and the pension was so high that I don't think it mattered anyway. So, everybody's case is unique.

You may have seen me talking with a bald Canadian lawyer who remarked, "if this was simple, computers could accept our visa applications. Everywhere in the world, immigration depends upon arbitrary interpretation of laws, by imperfect government workers."

I fully agree that CM Immigration is quiet slick and painless, especially if you have built up some kind of rapport with individuals over the years. Despite my current residence of Phuket I will return to CM when it's time to renew my retirement visa.

• 9 months later...

I'd like to add to praise for CM Immigration - went for my 1 year family extension and whole process took just under an hour.

I didn't know you had to log in the book on the counter but was called anyway.

No photo's or map required and very friendly service - best experienced in 12 years - so well done CM. :o

I, too, want to reaffirm my very positive opinion of the CM Immigration Office. To repeat what I said a mile above on this thread, the last time I did my annual one-year visa extension took a flat 33 minutes.

From what I read and have witnessed at the office, farang go to that office presenting all sorts of "problems," too many of which are simply presentation: Some look like tramps. Some act worse than tramps. Some think that if Thais don't speak perfect English, they are retarded! The biggest problem, probably, is implicit and explicit arrogance. Thais are as good at reading body language as anyone, you know --- and especially at "reading" smiles, of which there are many kinds, so don't try to pull off a false one!

More sympathetically, people simply don't do their homework, or their photocopying, in advance. I have a lot of sympathy for those whose English is their second language. I have a bad enough time with quite limited Thai when speaking about a detailed technical topic. How two people are successful on a detailed immigration matter when neither speaks English well totally amazes me. You have to give much credit to both the supplicant and the immigration people.

I much prefer the shorthand description of Thailand as "LOS" rather than "TIT." "Land of Smiles" fits better in my experience. Couple that view with patience, and you'll go a long, long way. Act like an ass, ...

On the other hand, "This Is Thailand" is a cheap shot. Of course, this is Thailand. There are unique cultural characteristics everywhere you go. Besides, not all people (regardless of country) are completely informed or pleasant. But, "TIT" as a cheap toss-off, a gross and, for me, a totally undeserved insulting characterization.

I am not suggesting that people with complaints "love Thailand or leave it," but I do suggest that they reconsider how they deal with others.

Edited by Mapguy

Quote of the day"On the other hand, 'This Is Thailand' is a cheap shot. Of course, this is Thailand."

You mean we are not in Myanmar? :o Indeed, it is a cheap shot. OTOH, as you point out, Mapguy, Thais are good at spotting fake smiles.

Maybe you and I have had minimal problems at Immigration because we did not spit the dummy in front of some police Captain. I could have dropped my drawers that day the nice police lady asked to see my injuries. After all, Jesus said to do such things. But even in my drugged state, I knew that you do not do that in public here. And I had remembered to wear trousers rather than shorts because I always go to Immigration in long slacks, which I keep on. :D

Maybe we could start saying respectfully, "I am so thankful that this is Thailand, rather than Houston or Mexico City."

Retirement visas are much easier than work permit visas. This is the first time that I only had to go once and since I was the first in the morning to get there, it only took about 2 hours. Also, you have to apply on one day and then wait a month to go pick it up.

I, too, want to reaffirm my very positive opinion of the CM Immigration Office. To repeat what I said a mile above on this thread, the last time I did my annual one-year visa extension took a flat 33 minutes.

From what I read and have witnessed at the office, farang go to that office presenting all sorts of "problems," too many of which are simply presentation: Some look like tramps. Some act worse than tramps. Some think that if Thais don't speak perfect English, they are retarded! The biggest problem, probably, is implicit and explicit arrogance. Thais are as good at reading body language as anyone, you know --- and especially at "reading" smiles, of which there are many kinds, so don't try to pull off a false one!

More sympathetically, people simply don't do their homework, or their photocopying, in advance. I have a lot of sympathy for those whose English is their second language. I have a bad enough time with quite limited Thai when speaking about a detailed technical topic. How two people are successful on a detailed immigration matter when neither speaks English well totally amazes me. You have to give much credit to both the supplicant and the immigration people.

I much prefer the shorthand description of Thailand as "LOS" rather than "TIT." "Land of Smiles" fits better in my experience. Couple that view with patience, and you'll go a long, long way. Act like an ass, ...

On the other hand, "This Is Thailand" is a cheap shot. Of course, this is Thailand. There are unique cultural characteristics everywhere you go. Besides, not all people (regardless of country) are completely informed or pleasant. But, "TIT" as a cheap toss-off, a gross and, for me, a totally undeserved insulting characterization.

I am not suggesting that people with complaints "love Thailand or leave it," but I do suggest that they reconsider how they deal with others.

I could not have said it better, your point about the language problems especially, these Immigration folks have to deal with. We say English but there is Brit , Aussie, American, and many foriegn versions of English. Even I have a hard time with understanding a Brit or Aussie."Cheers and good on ya mite" I love you guys, so no offence. Confusion can be expected by the people behind the counter at times, they are responsible people and do not want to make mistakes. Give them the courtisey of your patience. There is a nice coffee shop there to await your process. If your paperwork is in order you will have no problems. Put yourself in their shoes, people from 100 different countries and languages come to them everyday with many different requests. They have to get it right. So give them a break. They are not out to give you problems. Give respect and you get respect, give problems and guess what, you get problems. The process is only as differcult as you make it. Chok Dee.

Retirement visas are much easier than work permit visas. This is the first time that I only had to go once and since I was the first in the morning to get there, it only took about 2 hours. Also, you have to apply on one day and then wait a month to go pick it up.

True. Why did you, an elder statesman of the local business community, have to wait two hours? Maybe because there is so much "playing the system" by farang going on with work visas. The tolerance in dealing with such gaming truly amazes me. Actually, it isn't just work visas that are "in play." Games with retirement visas and tourist visas also are rife! Never mind the rest of it! Oy!

I was the first one to the office, but 5 people had already signed up on the waiting list. I coudn't figure that one out.

The good thing was that none of them showed up, so I was still the first one in for a change.

and still 2 hours. maybe the 1st 8 hours of the day are the slowest for immigration. :D:o

I'll be getting my 1st retirement extension at the end of the year. I'll be making a list and checking it twice. Hope it goes smoothly. I have a great natural smile even when I have to fake it a tad.

I was the first one to the office, but 5 people had already signed up on the waiting list. I coudn't figure that one out.

The good thing was that none of them showed up, so I was still the first one in for a change.

and still 2 hours. maybe the 1st 8 hours of the day are the slowest for immigration. :D:o

I'll be getting my 1st retirement extension at the end of the year. I'll be making a list and checking it twice. Hope it goes smoothly. I have a great natural smile even when I have to fake it a tad.

Ditto..mine is due in January.

I'm going to wear a suit and tie, even regular shoes no less.. along with the big smile.

Suit and tie might be a bit much, gpd...they might think you are trying a bit too hard- run a 50-state on you, and find out about that little matter in Montana involving the circus dwarf, the stolen horses, etc.....

Pair of Dockers (ironed with a crease), a polo shirt, shoes and socks is more that enough.

A nice watch if you have one and a gold ring won't hurt.

I go like this:

post-23786-1218115389_thumb.jpg

They like it! I'm exotic; we do the fist-bump thing....works like a charm :o