Harassment At Chiangmai International Airport

pistolpete

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why some ppls here think I am a troll. Is my story seem like a fiction! Then check out my flight number that i have provided.

PistolPete - the response is fairly commen. You are new to the forum and the story is unusual. Other members have read it and thought that it didn't ring true to them according to their experience of living in Thailand. I hope your post is accurate and that this isn't a fishing exercise to get a rise out of the members. I have not heard of this scam but that doesn't mean it didn't happen to you.

I am very interested in finding out if others have heard or or experienced similar attempts of a shake down. I think someone posted that they heard the same scam used in Bangkok airport. The reality is that there are scams galore and someone will always try something on someone else. Thanks for the heads up and it is something for all of us - newbie or old hand to Thailand to take note.

regards

CB

PistolPete

If your story is true, then I am happy to apologise for doubting you.

Next time, though, report it to the authorities at the time, rather than posting about it several months later.

A few days ago (and I cannot remember whether I read about it in a Thai or Hong Kong newspaper) I saw a story about a cop who relieved a tourist of some cash. The victim was brave enough to report it, and guess what, this was not the first complaint about this cop who was arrested, charged and convicted.

I am sorry that you have had a negative experience of Chaing Mai. If you suffer such an incident again then immediately PM me and I will help you report it to the Tourist Police.

Take care

Crow Boy,

Thanks for understanding. I guessed I was not firmed enough with the officer. Frankly I was quite scare I am not sure of what they are capable of (if you know what I mean). So I figured $30 dollars is not worth to fight for!!! I am also surprised that no one here ever run into the same problem. Have you guys ever arrived at the Chiangmai International Sector? Not to many ppls you know.

Contractor

Actually as soon as I check in to D2 hotel I did ask the front clerk about this incident and I was encourage to report this incident to the Custom Dept main office near the airport, ( I think is the one next to Central Mall). Well I figured for a 1000 baht is really not worth it for me to take the taxi back to the airport. I was so tempted to report this incident on my way to Phuket. The reason I didn't go to complaint about this incident to the Customs Dept because I figured they must be all in it together so why bother??

ps actually i have a great time in Chiangmai. I join the local tours to the temple, hiking to the karen village, and river rafting. I don't really like the elephant ride that much. They torture these animals and hit them hard with the crowbar.

Thanks for understanding all and just wanted to be helpful.

pistolpete

Crow Boy,

Thanks for understanding. I guessed I was not firmed enough with the officer. Frankly I was quite scare I am not sure of what they are capable of (if you know what I mean). So I figured $30 dollars is not worth to fight for!!! I am also surprised that no one here ever run into the same problem. Have you guys ever arrived at the Chiangmai International Sector? Not to many ppls you know.

My preferred entry to Thailand is Chiang Mai International so I go in and out regularly. However my passport looks like it has been attacked by a rubber stamp with visas, entry stamps, exit stamps etc so I am guessing they figure I am not going to fall for something like that.

Hope that you come back here and that next time you don't get the same scam treatment. D2 Hotel is very nice but most of my nights in CM are in the "lower price range" :o

CB

Crow Boy,

My preferred entry to Thailand is Chiang Mai International so I go in and out regularly. However my passport looks like it has been attacked by a rubber stamp with visas, entry stamps, exit stamps etc so I am guessing they figure I am not going to fall for something like that.

Hope that you come back here and that next time you don't get the same scam treatment. D2 Hotel is very nice but most of my nights in CM are in the "lower price range" :o

CB

Crowie, you forgot to mention that the hotel you stay in usually charges by the hour! :D

I believe the posters story, there's nothing not to believe really! I've been pulled aside by customs in CM twice and on both occasions they have looked at my passport, seen a myriad of stamps and thought better of whatever bull droppings they were planning and told me to I could go. But I can easily believe that they are not so charitable when they see an easy mark, especially when the same has just arrived long haul.

Politely decline and ask for their supervisor. :o

@CNX Airport there is also Tourist Police. They are assisted by farang volunteers. They must see this going on there, if it really happens. But did anyone ever hear them reporting any malpractice?

And btw, how come these volunteers seem all to be Americans, although Americans are only tiny minority of farangs living and coming to Thailand. These guys speak American (slang) English, something 99% of the tourists have difficulty understanding. None of the volunteers speaks more than one foreign language...

The reason is probably that the Thai Tourist Police agents speak also English, so they can check on the volunteers when they are receiving complaints. Imagine a tourist reporting in a language they do not understand, then they could not short cut the report....

Even TP agents are known to have visited people that reported malpartices, to intimidate them.

What is then the use to ask for a supervisor, I wonder... As all supervisors have been agents before...

Best imho is to report to your consulate, or the consulate handling your countries interests.

More important and since advanced techniques permit it, record the situation, with your phone, vdo camera, let it run even if you do not have a picture, sound is also important. If you are in a group or party, others would instantaneously start taking pictures or vdo of the scene. Also have them look around, usually there are colleagues watching (on the look out) from a mezzanine... and zoom in on these people.

Even better if you have wifi, broadcast live to a website. They might confiscate your equipment for a while, and erase evidence, but once you 'wified' it, there is no use to erase evidence...

You might want to use a surveillance software that performs simultaneous recording and broadcasting. (also useful at home ... [URL removed as per the Thaivisa forum rules. Please contact this poster by PM for more information about camera surveillance freeware.])

Politely decline and ask for their supervisor. :o

@CNX Airport there is also Tourist Police. They are assisted by farang volunteers. They must see this going on there, if it really happens. But did anyone ever hear them reporting any malpractice?

And btw, how come these volunteers seem all to be Americans, although Americans are only tiny minority of farangs living and coming to Thailand. These guys speak American (slang) English, something 99% of the tourists have difficulty understanding. None of the volunteers speaks more than one foreign language...

The reason is probably that the Thai Tourist Police agents speak also English, so they can check on the volunteers when they are receiving complaints. Imagine a tourist reporting in a language they do not understand, then they could not short cut the report....

Even TP agents are known to have visited people that reported malpartices, to intimidate them.

What is then the use to ask for a supervisor, I wonder... As all supervisors have been agents before...

I personally know three Tourist Police volunteers in Chiang Mai - two are from Australia and the other English, none of them sound in the very least bit like an American. Im Pattaya I know two - one is an American but the other is Australian. On Samuii there are two English and one Kiwi (New Zealander) plus a couple of Europeans. So far the non Americans are making the majority of those I know in the TP volunteer squad, perhaps I know a different group to you.

CB

This thread cracks me up. The poster tells a story. Members accuse him of trolling, then just settle down into telling him he's dumb. Then we go into the sexual preferences of a moderator. Then Chef Boyardee shows up to complain that the tourist police are one-legged cyclops that don't speak French. This is so entertaining!

Let me expand the non sequitur: Yesterday I spotted a green snake in the garden. Taking a closer look I discovered it was a katoey snake, so I took it to the Duke's for dinner. On the way home, on my CBR, I outran the Samurai gang on the road that may or may not connect the canal road to the 700 year stadium. That's where I found a good plumber and electrician to work on my dream home, in World Club, where mine is the only Jewish Thai family that Grace allows into the pool. Unfortunately there was a portly Canadian involved, and I can't say much more about it. After toweling off, the snake and I went to hear the Tonic Rays at Guitarman. We wanted to go out afterwards, but the snake couldn't find any good condoms at the local 7-11 (he told me that he's allergic to nonoxynol-9). Wish us luck, we are going to Pai for the weekend to smoke organic food and read ThaVisa on the internet.

This thread cracks me up. The poster tells a story. Members accuse him of trolling, then just settle down into telling him he's dumb.

Puwa

When did they accused me of being dumb eh? Like I said I didn't want trouble for 1000 baht.

BTW I just saw a movie "SAW IV" very interesting.

pistol pete :o

I deleted several posts from this thread and a suspension has been issued. There is a pretty broad area on Thai Visa and certainly with me that is acceptable behaviour but also a clear line beyond which is not appropriate.

I will monitor this thread and if anyone has anything of worth to add that is relevent to the OP then post it. Any off topic or random rants about lobotomies etc will lead to further action against the poster and the thread closed.

regards

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

This thread cracks me up. The poster tells a story. Members accuse him of trolling, then just settle down into telling him he's dumb. Then we go into the sexual preferences of a moderator. Then Chef Boyardee shows up to complain that the tourist police are one-legged cyclops that don't speak French. This is so entertaining!

Let me expand the non sequitur: Yesterday I spotted a green snake in the garden. Taking a closer look I discovered it was a katoey snake, so I took it to the Duke's for dinner. On the way home, on my CBR, I outran the Samurai gang on the road that may or may not connect the canal road to the 700 year stadium. That's where I found a good plumber and electrician to work on my dream home, in World Club, where mine is the only Jewish Thai family that Grace allows into the pool. Unfortunately there was a portly Canadian involved, and I can't say much more about it. After toweling off, the snake and I went to hear the Tonic Rays at Guitarman. We wanted to go out afterwards, but the snake couldn't find any good condoms at the local 7-11 (he told me that he's allergic to nonoxynol-9). Wish us luck, we are going to Pai for the weekend to smoke organic food and read ThaVisa on the internet.

Puwa, I want to buy you a beer next time we meet. Funds provided by Thai Customs Travel Agency. Wear your non-skank sandals.

You da man..... :D:D:o

Oh, and on thread, I have never experienced anything other than the utmost professionalism and courtesy when transiting through Chiang Mai International Airport..... :D

I typically don't transit through CNX customs if I can possibly avoid it. And especially when having unusual items with me.

Part of me is really curious and the other part just doesn't want to know.

Either way it is not relevant to the topic so I think we will let it stop there

CB

Sounds like a crock to me. If as the op claims he flew Lax-Bkk- Cnx he would certainly have completed his passport formalities & customs at BKK NOT CNX. And would have no reason to go thru CNX international arrivals or customs.

It is not a requirement to complete those formalities in BKK and passengers often transit and clear customs and Immigration in CNX, despite having arrived in BKK - that is the purpose of the CIQ stickers you see many people wearing. I do not know the basis for being given CIQ status but Thai Airways passengers are seen daily in that scheme.

Sounds like a crock to me. If as the op claims he flew Lax-Bkk- Cnx he would certainly have completed his passport formalities & customs at BKK NOT CNX. And would have no reason to go thru CNX international arrivals or customs.

When you are flying portal to portal you go through the transit lounge in Bangkok and not through immigration/customs, that will be handled at the final destination.

I travel from Lax to BKK allot. I was not aware you could arrive around 12:00 at night (Times which most airlines arrive at BKK from lax) and get a flight to CNX that late?

Could you wait as a transit passenger in BKK until the first flight in the morning?

If this is possible please let me know I'd like to come right into CNX without staying the night in BKK.

I typically don't transit through CNX customs if I can possibly avoid it. And especially when having unusual items with me.

Part of me is really curious and the other part just doesn't want to know.

Either way it is not relevant to the topic so I think we will let it stop there

Emm.. The topic is "Chiang Mai Airport / Customs", as per what it says in the topic title. My comment was on preferring not to do customs in Chiang Mai. I submit this is not way beyond the scope of on-topicness.

Anyway, I sensed a question: "unusual items": Hard drives, an extra laptop, product samples; you name it. Basically anything that's not tourist gear.

(I have *NEVER* been checked in Bangkok. Yet in Chiang Mai it seems the customs people are just bored and want something to do when international passengers do come in.)

Well, I'm sure the Original Poster will do as I do from now on and indeed do the customs stuff in Bangkok. But it's entirely possible, and many people do this, to remain air-side in Bangkok and transit to Chiang Mai, then go through immigration and customs in Chiang Mai. This is allowed when the airline you're flying with has a deal with TG (or TG itself of course) AND if you're flying to an international airport, so Phuket, Had Yai or Chiang Mai.

Next.. :

I travel from Lax to BKK allot. I was not aware you could arrive around 12:00 at night (Times which most airlines arrive at BKK from lax) and get a flight to CNX that late? Could you wait as a transit passenger in BKK until the first flight in the morning?

Sigh... Google... Thaiair.com... Schedules.... LAX-BKK... Submit... Et Voila:

==8<=============================

Thai Airways Intl (TG 795)

dep: 21:30 - Los Angeles (LAX) terminal B

arr: 06:30 - Bangkok (BKK) terminal

equipment: Airbus Industrie A340-500

=================================

Any more questions? Jeez, why is everyone being so silly (though in a cute way in a sense) and doubting posters? Remember your meds, collectively!

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

What an exciting thread. The few times I have flown in to Chiang Mai internationally, the customs & immigration folks were quite cordial so I am sort of surprised. I'm as cyncial as they come but in my 6 flights to & from BKK this year, I haven't been bothered by anyone. Maybe it's my scowl.

On the positive side of things, at least no one yelled at you like they do at LAX customs (Yea I know, I did a tangent, so I'll hush now.)

I agree with UG, always very professional in CM. Furthermore, it's quite a hassle having to pick up your checked luggage in BKK, pass through customs and then re-check it to CM. Why? I much prefer checking straight through to CM.

On another note, my last few entries into LOS I've had to clear immigration in BKK and then customs in CM. Sort of funny, I guess it means that my checked luggage and I are in different countries while flying from BKK to CNX...

/ Priceless

There was a thread, a few months ago, suggesting that CNX-Customs have been more searching & less laid-back, since the new International-Terminal opened. So the more-aggressive approach to opening bags might well ring true.

I personally would certainly agree that they are less relaxed than in days of yore, perhaps they have to gain more in import-duties, to justify a bigger operation up here ?

Although selling tours & hotels on-commission would be a new one on me ! Thanks to the OP for raising it !!

Yea I know, I did a tangent, so I'll hush now.

That's not a proper tangent. I'll do one:

I'd rather have Chiang Mai customs guys try to sell me a tour than US customs going through my holiday snaps and debating in semi-public if my wife is under age or not, and having all kinds of snide and offensive questions about what it is I do in Thailand.