Pattaya Immigration New Visa Rules Changes

Sorry, don't know if this should be posted here or in the "Pattaya" forum, but here goes.

I just received this notice in the Pattaya City Expats Club Newsletter - Oct. 21 to Oct 28, 2007:

NEW VISA RULES CHANGES - Pattaya Immigration bureau has introduced the following rules regarding one year Visa’s and extensions of Visa’s.

Applicants for one year retirement visas must now show and make copies of the back and front of any currently valid ATM or credit card issued in their name. The copies must be signed by the applicant. It does not matter whether the card was issued in Thailand or overseas. This is intended as a further check on an applicant's financial health.

Applicants for extensions on short visas, for example a request for the maximum allowed 7 days on a “Visa on Arrival” or for the maximum 30 days on a “60 day Tourist Visa” issued abroad, must now show proof of their onward travel plans after the extension has expired, by having in their possession an air or electronic airline ticket, or a bus ticket with clear dates printed on it. This requirement is to assure Immigration that the visa holder does indeed plan to leave Thailand at the expiration of his extension. This information is also on the PCEC website at http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/modul...le&sid=1039

My comment on Thursday experience at Jomtien:

I went to renew my retirement extension yesterday at Jomtien (Thursday). I used the money in bank rule again (800K) and not the monthly income rule. I was not asked to show any credit cards which are the only way I bring money into Thailand, nor any credit card receipts. Which is probably a good thing, because I don't know about you guys, but doesn't something look really shaky about the above statement about making copies of your credit cards? :D What could be easier than this for someone to use that information to commit credit card fraud and identity fraud? :o I also had my money in a "Joint Account" and was asked for a copy of my marriage certificate to prove who the other name was on my "joint account". I was worried about the joint account being questioned since this is the first time I ever used the joint account at immigration, and thought they may require me to have double the money in the account with my Thai wife. They didn't THIS time luckily, since I wanted to use that account as emergency funds in case I get thrown in the hospital or jail. My circumstances may be different than some since I MAY have some sort of "grandfathering" in effect since I've been here for 38 years now, but if these requirements listed above are legitimate for credit card/ATM card copies, then I can REALLY see big problems. I don't see any way I would ever give copies of my credit cards (front AND back) to ANYONE, let alone our ever friendly immigration offices!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree totally ^^^

Making copies of your credit cards is a big no no, particularly if you're doing both sides and signing them as it shows the CVV that's used to verify actual posession of the card in 'cardholder not present' transactions and you give them a nice sample signature to boot..

Identity theft here we come!

I would suggest that if immigration insist on having copies then, at the very minimum, the CVV be obscured, I can see no reason they would need it.

Edited by Crossy

I extended my non o visa to retirement on 21 October. I have a joint bank account and also had to provide a copy of my marriage certificate. I can see the reasoning for that.

Where do the PDEC get there information from ? The article did not quote an immigration source- as far as i can see.

I notice in another visa thread ' caught out by new rules 'someone in Jomtien has been told to get a MFA stamp. Looking back through the old threads I thought that had been been rescinded.

I have been in Thailand 38 days as opposed to your 38 years so I have no experience to share.

I would definately be hesitant to give copies of credit cards though. -That would seem a step too far.

Maybe the UK consul could be asked to clarify this for us all. ( Or your consul if you are not Brit and have your own.)

P

Sorry, don't know if this should be posted here or in the "Pattaya" forum, but here goes.

I just received this notice in the Pattaya City Expats Club Newsletter - Oct. 21 to Oct 28, 2007:

NEW VISA RULES CHANGES - Pattaya Immigration bureau has introduced the following rules regarding one year Visa’s and extensions of Visa’s.

Applicants for one year retirement visas must now show and make copies of the back and front of any currently valid ATM or credit card issued in their name. The copies must be signed by the applicant. It does not matter whether the card was issued in Thailand or overseas. This is intended as a further check on an applicant's financial health.

Applicants for extensions on short visas, for example a request for the maximum allowed 7 days on a “Visa on Arrival” or for the maximum 30 days on a “60 day Tourist Visa” issued abroad, must now show proof of their onward travel plans after the extension has expired, by having in their possession an air or electronic airline ticket, or a bus ticket with clear dates printed on it. This requirement is to assure Immigration that the visa holder does indeed plan to leave Thailand at the expiration of his extension. This information is also on the PCEC website at http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/modul...le&sid=1039

My comment on Thursday experience at Jomtien:

I went to renew my retirement extension yesterday at Jomtien (Thursday). I used the money in bank rule again (800K) and not the monthly income rule. I was not asked to show any credit cards which are the only way I bring money into Thailand, nor any credit card receipts. Which is probably a good thing, because I don't know about you guys, but doesn't something look really shaky about the above statement about making copies of your credit cards? :D What could be easier than this for someone to use that information to commit credit card fraud and identity fraud? :o I also had my money in a "Joint Account" and was asked for a copy of my marriage certificate to prove who the other name was on my "joint account". I was worried about the joint account being questioned since this is the first time I ever used the joint account at immigration, and thought they may require me to have double the money in the account with my Thai wife. They didn't THIS time luckily, since I wanted to use that account as emergency funds in case I get thrown in the hospital or jail. My circumstances may be different than some since I MAY have some sort of "grandfathering" in effect since I've been here for 38 years now, but if these requirements listed above are legitimate for credit card/ATM card copies, then I can REALLY see big problems. I don't see any way I would ever give copies of my credit cards (front AND back) to ANYONE, let alone our ever friendly immigration offices!

when will they ever stop thinking up these ridiculous requirements ...............what

will it be next week..................next month ...............next year ................?

Amazing Thailand :D

I believe it would give more credibility to this "new rule" if the source of the information was quoted. Don't believe everything you read in the press!

Unfortunately not only in the press, but also more and more in this forum. For whatever reaseons some people seems to enjoy to spread wrong rumours about simply not existing new rules.

WCA

I believe it would give more credibility to this "new rule" if the source of the information was quoted. Don't believe everything you read in the press!

Agreed. Very bizarre request and very possibly illegal based on 'Terms of Agreement' of various credit card companies.

Making copies of your credit cards is a big no no, particularly if you're doing both sides and signing them as it shows the CVV that's used to verify actual possession of the card in 'cardholder not present' transactions

When you receive a new Credit Card, memorize the 3 digits CVV (or write it with code on a paper you will put in a safe)

and ERASE it from the card !

Like that if someone steal your card, or make a copy of it, he will not be able to make any purchase on the Internet.

See: http://www.google.com/search?q=erase+cvv

Pattaya46

Someone needs to put a rocket up Pattaya City Expats Club's bottom :o

They are actually advising their members to do this ? ... ALL CREDIBILITY GONE !

Why would I admit to any of me 300 odd cards :D other than the one I have on my 'Retirement' account ?

Would be better if this lot concentrated on raising funds for Alzheimer's research.

Naka.

Edited by naka

It hasn't been reported by Pataya Expat Club - www.pattayaexpatsclub.com - so it can't be true. Come on guys, the website of the socalled Pattaya Expat City Club get a click boost by that breaking news. Who couldn't use that in a situation of tough competition ... Anyone know anything about this socalled club, that makes you believe in whatever they write, regardless of how unbelievable it actually is?

Heard this to be a new requirement from next year to back up proof of valid bank account with letter of income for retirement extensions.

How does a photocopy of a debit/credit card achieve this ? do tell.

Oh, and Name Your Source. :o

Naka.

Heard this to be a new requirement from next year to back up proof of valid bank account with letter of income for retirement extensions.

Naka.

I understand that you need to have at least Bht 1,000.00 in the bank for them to issue an ATM. So there you go!

Naka.

No idea how it is supposed to work, I do not think up these rules and regulations only hear about them, read the posts generated by them and then, sometimes ,the rules inevetable retraction due to the unworkability of it. I, along with many others would not be willing to give copies of my bank card to be available to view by how many people?

It occurred to me recently what a security risk it is to provide copies of my bank account details when applying for a visa extension, and some applicants even have to provide photos taken inside their home, and a map showing it's location, how handy for any burglar.

What happens to these documents? How secure is the place where they are stored, and who looks after them?

I'm not even sure if this would invalidate any household insurance policy that the applicant may have.

What will they want next? Our kidneys?

Another good business idea: sell KY and vaseline outside the immigration offices to hopeful applicants looking to ease the pain.

Good one Jingthing. I might suggest you mix some alum in with it for us old guys to tighten us up a bit! :o Anything to make it more enjoyable for our great Thai civil servants. :D

Believe it or don't, I actually did that at a bar I owned about 20 years ago on Soi Pattayaland 2. Put a table out front with KY tubes on it and a sign that said "alum added for the old farts and katoeys". My girls actually sold out the tubes in 3 days. Location, location, location I guess?

Edited by jeepholt

"Heard this to be a new requirement from next year to back up proof of valid bank account with letter of income for retirement extensions."

"How does a photocopy of a debit/credit card achieve this ? do tell."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I understand that you need to have at least Bht 1,000.00 in the bank for them to issue an ATM. So there you go!"

Who is them? Are you suggesting that you know what you're talking about?

"For whatever reasons some people seems to enjoy to spread wrong rumours about simply not existing new rules."

And it continues.

Yes it sounds stupid (a simple thai ATM card as a proof of "financial health" ? When even a motobike driver has several cards ?). That's hilarious.

However, it could fit perfectly with the Immigration framework (a picture of you with your wife, or your closet with clothes is also totally stupid if you think about it).

Anyway. Time will tell.

And as someone said : maybe after, we will have to provide : used underwear (for future DNA analysis), or why not the pin code for our credit cards (again, as a proof, so Immigration officers can check if you have really some money on your account, etc). :o

One thing is sure in Thailand (and elsewhere) : stupidity is a commodity with endless supply !

Edited by cclub75

I also think this story about atm & credit cards is not true I was never asked this today. I would never give them this anyway its illegal. I asked my credit card company this question last year when a store wanted this when I was going to buy a mobile phone. The company told me no way I can do this so I paid with cash.

...Surely the rules come from Bangkok and apply across the country. :o

No way! The rules come from the Pattaya City Expats Club.

I can tell its 100% true that is what I have been told today in pattaya immigration. You have to go to bangkok every year to mfa to get a stamp on your embassy letter of pension for a 1 year extension for marriage.

And what, pray tell, did you do in Pattaya immigration today? Did you apply for an extension of stay for the reason of living with your Thai wife based on minimum monthly income of 40,000 Baht and submit an embassy letter with the consul’s signature certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? Did you?

That MFA stamp is last month’s story proven wrong. The credit cards are this month’s story. Let’s wait and see what next month’s story will be.

...Come on guys, the website of the socalled Pattaya Expat City Club get a click boost by that breaking news. Who couldn't use that in a situation of tough competition...

Yes. A very cunning plan, isn’t it? Compliments to the person who thought of it.

--

Maestro